Sign in to follow this  
hedders

Peadtrician app tomorrow

DD got appointment tomorrow, hubby has spoken on phone today to ask them what will happen on appointment tomorrow.

All we were told is that they will do some tests and see what advice or support is needed.

They can't do a lag test

DD is nearly 9 and been under pead since she was 4yrs old.

Hubby believes nothing postive will come of this appointment tomorrow and will do as little as possible, so it doesn't help what are peadtricans suppose to do ???

Any advice welcome.

Just too add about a month ago school assessed and reported she has Moderate Learning Diffculties

Edited by hedders

What's a lag test?

K x

[/quote

Paedatrican says "lag test" means they wont be able to tell us were she is

Hubby explantion of this was ...

The goverment national curriculum level for a child is expected to be in average range as our dd falls below average theres no description /critia of what below average is.

Oh i hope this makes sense i haven't a clue or hubbys explantion of this

Just googled i think its linked to development delays --- i might be wrong it could mean she cant tell us were is on academic terms e.g at the same level of a child who is 5-6yrs old in yr 1

Edited by hedders

sorry never heard of lag test so cant advise on that. However my dd2 has seen pead a few times now and last july we were told she has MLD our pead was very helpful and ask many questions to us and our dd2. she had to demonstrate some tasks such as colouring, doing shoelaces, answering questions such as is £5.00 more or less than 5p, It was also the pead that sent her for MRI and EGG, he was very careful and to me it seemed as though he was looking for an answer for the MLD. My dd2 was not born with MLD and developed well until aged 4/5. So perhaps your pead will be looking for answers for your dd difficulties.

How did the appointment go?

K x

Hi Katie i typed a message yesterday but for some reason it hasn't shown up, how did the appt go? What is she seeing a peadiatrician for? Melissa is under a peadiatrician for her reflux but was originally for her hernia.

Melissa now as a red overlay as they assessed her for irlens which is a type of dyslexia and she has it, but again it is wait and see as she could still have the other dyslexia as it is a comorbid like dyslexia could be a comorbid to other learning disability, she now as an iep with 5 targets on, as she is at level 1c which puts her at a child going into yr1, which if i remember rightly is where your Erin was last year? Sharon x

sorry never heard of lag test so cant advise on that. However my dd2 has seen pead a few times now and last july we were told she has MLD our pead was very helpful and ask many questions to us and our dd2. she had to demonstrate some tasks such as colouring, doing shoelaces, answering questions such as is £5.00 more or less than 5p, It was also the pead that sent her for MRI and EGG, he was very careful and to me it seemed as though he was looking for an answer for the MLD. My dd2 was not born with MLD and developed well until aged 4/5. So perhaps your pead will be looking for answers for your dd difficulties.

I don't want to throw you into turmoil, but if your child has an ASD, the types of things the paediatrician was asking her to do are all things that are typically affected by ASD not MLD. My son is assessed as high average cognitive ability, but he cannot write independently and he struggles with language. For cognitive ability assessments should not involve language if the child has difficulties with understanding or processing auditory information. They can then assess her ability to understand, process and follow verbal instructions. They can also see what their ability is using visuals, or spatial thinking. A blind child would fail at any visual test regardless of their cognitive ability. It maybe that many more assessments have been done and you have the total outcome of all of them. But it just struck me that the kinds of tests you mentioned are assuming that the child has typical acquirement of language and does not have any difficulties such as a specific learning difficulty.

I don't want to throw you into turmoil, but if your child has an ASD, the types of things the paediatrician was asking her to do are all things that are typically affected by ASD not MLD. My son is assessed as high average cognitive ability, but he cannot write independently and he struggles with language. For cognitive ability assessments should not involve language if the child has difficulties with understanding or processing auditory information. They can then assess her ability to understand, process and follow verbal instructions. They can also see what their ability is using visuals, or spatial thinking. A blind child would fail at any visual test regardless of their cognitive ability. It maybe that many more assessments have been done and you have the total outcome of all of them. But it just struck me that the kinds of tests you mentioned are assuming that the child has typical acquirement of language and does not have any difficulties such as a specific learning difficulty.

Hi Sally, would a ed psychologist be able to pick up on these type of difficulties? My daughter as never been assessed by anyone at school, but it is strange that all her comments on her text books say that she isn't getting it on the mat when the whole class is there but yet she gets it one to one, so what would that say?? To me it means that she isn't either paying attention or there is too much going on for her to take in but when instructed one to one she seems to follow it. Like with language she was found to be 2yrs behind in this but yet they haven't seen how she is doing in school, but i am now going to keep in regular contact with the senco see how she goes for now i may ask for her to be assessed by the ed psych. Sharon x

Nope no tests were done, yet again.

Basically this is what were told.....

We the parents need to come to terms with the fact our dd has LD, she may never be "average" like her peers. dd Will need support throught out schooling years and adviced us when the time comes for Secondary School to find a school with a good Senco, one that we will get on with.

The pead team cant do anything for us apart from give us support as our dd has Educational diffculties and they deal with health but will be an advocate between us and the school.

I asked if there was an underlying cause ??

Pead replied there no point doing medical tests she could fit anything and wouldn't be helpful.

The pead isnt happy with what the school have done and with holding information and will write to them.

Pead told us after all the years you have fought you may of crack it by a referral to Ed Psy and for not giving up.

Pead said its a shame your dd doesn't have behavioural problems in class she would of got more support and said she is a very shy child.

Hi Shaz she was referred to a pead when she was 4 as i was concerned with her development. Yep Erin been on level 1c -1a now for 2.5yrs e.g yr 2- yr 4

Edited by hedders

Nope no tests were done, yet again.

Basically this is what were told.....

We the parents need to come to terms with the fact our dd has LD, she may never be "average" like her peers. dd Will need support throught out schooling years and adviced us when the time comes for Secondary School to find a school with a good Senco, one that we will get on with.

The pead team cant do anything for us apart from give us support as our dd has Educational diffculties and they deal with health but will be an advocate between us and the school.

I asked if there was an underlying cause ??

Pead replied there no point doing medical tests she could fit anything and wouldn't be helpful.

The pead isnt happy with what the school have done and with holding information and will write to them.

Pead told us after all the years you have fought you may of crack it by a referral to Ed Psy and for not giving up.

Pead said its a shame your dd doesn't have behavioural problems in class she would of got more support and said she is a very shy child.

Hi Shaz she was referred to a pead when she was 4 as i was concerned with her development. Yep Erin been on level 1c -1a now for 2.5yrs e.g yr 2- yr 4

Hi Katie what type of peadiatrician is he? Is he just a child peadiatrician or does he specialize in behavioural, because to me that is not right, you need her looking at to see if there are other things she needs help on, as the ed psych assessed her at school? ie does she struggle with fine motor, as she been irlens tested? where is she on the learning difficutly spectrum, that is a total fob off to me, i would ask for a second opinion.

My friend is in the same situation as you, she has a daughter who is 13yrs old and she is with the fairies bless her, in fact i would put her on the autistic spectrum as she flaps her hands when running or excited, all she has is learning difficulties doesn't know where she is as she has never had her assessed, she asked the senco to have her assessed and they said it is pointless we all know that she isn't going to be a rocket scientist, that was disgusting, her son as been diagnosed with adhd and has had all his learning abilities assessed as part of the diagnosis he as mild learning difficulties iq was69 or bottome 60 i think normal was in 70's but she knows her daughter as worse learning difficulties but they won't look at her. Her younger son is bright and intelligent but is very hyper, but him and my youngest get on like a house on fire and they chin each other literally we said they are like a little married couple both telling each other off, it is funny sometimes then it can be breath holding stuff sometimes like when they sink their teeth into each other or clonk each other with an object, i have had to stop my daughter with scissors lethal weapons, when she goes she just hits out, her speech is still very poor, although i can understand her a lot of others can't and it is dejavue as this is what Melissa was like but Zoe is more social than Melissa was but i think it is me taking her to creches which i never did with Melissa. When Zoe turns 3 i may have to have her checked out with speech therapist. I aren't going to wait like i did with Melissa bless her. Sharon x

My younger dd is 5 and attends a different school ,she is under SLT and on Sc+ i can't decide if it would be benefical to inform her school senco that her older sister has Moderate Learning Diffculties.

I dont want them to think i'm looking for labels to pin on my dd's, so i just can't decide what to do.

My younger dd is 5 and attends a different school ,she is under SLT and on Sc+ i can't decide if it would be benefical to inform her school senco that her older sister has Moderate Learning Diffculties.

I dont want them to think i'm looking for labels to pin on my dd's, so i just can't decide what to do.

Hi Katie i would inform them, it isn't that you are labeling them, you don't need to as long as they have been assessed to see what they struggle with, it is ok teachers saying they are social or seem ok with communicating etc but an ed psych would be able to watch them constantly as teachers are busy and they don't have time to constantly watch them, so when they see them social talking to other children then they are social, whereas ed psych might see yes they are talking to other children but like Melissa she will talk to the floor whilst talking to the children yes she is social but she mis understands the communication rules, they can also pick up any fine motor skills problems which can then be referred to more therapy, whereas left to teachers the pupils will fall further behind if these aren't dealt with, that is why i want Melissa assessed further not that i want a label as i know she has other difficulties. As Erin or her sister been assessed by ed psych in school? Did they pick up on any other difficulties as it is ok saying she has moderate learning difficulties but has she been assessed in school as it may be that she has language difficulties which would contribute to the learning difficulties, or dyslexia, like Melissa got assessed for irlens which she has found to have which would make it difficult for her to read, but i also think she has other things going on. Has Erin been assessed for irlens i think they are all important and me nagging got it done but if i wouldn't have mentioned anything they would have let her struggle it is ridiculous. Sharon x

Erin is being assessed by ed psy next week in school for observation and may follow up with tests/assessments in the new year.

SLT team keep saying she has no diffculties she has seen 3 different ones.

I will talk to Robyns Senco tomorrow they have done no assessments she is on School Action+ as she recieves intervention from her SLT team for Speech and Language delay and processing information, last i heard they were going to discharge her as the school can mangage without their input and they told me i shouldn't assume Robyn is the same as her sister but this was before i knew Erin has MLD interesting both dd's have the same diffculties with Speech and Language/comperhension which i know that it does affect learning and social communication

Edited by hedders

Erin is being assessed by ed psy next week in school for observation and may follow up with tests/assessments in the new year.

SLT team keep saying she has no diffculties she has seen 3 different ones.

I will talk to Robyns Senco tomorrow they have done no assessments she is on School Action+ as she recieves intervention from her SLT team for Speech and Language delay and processing information, last i heard they were going to discharge her as the school can mangage without their input and they told me i shouldn't assume Robyn is the same as her sister but this was before i knew Erin has MLD interesting both dd's have the same diffculties with Speech and Language/comperhension which i know that it does affect learning and social communication

Hi Katie again, it is so annoying how they make you feel neurotic isn't it. I think it is a power thing going on, the thing is if there is a communication delay then like you said it will reflect on everything, i am keeping an eye on Zoe my youngest as she is similar to Melissa with the speech but she isn't socially if you know what i mean, but saying that she has a temper on her, when she is in the mood she will throw chairs and scream an almighty scream that the whole estate could hear, she shows a lot of ocd as well, shuts doors cupboards cushions have to be the right way, even tins in the supermarket have to be the right way, an old lady commented on it saying i bet she is nice to have in the house, lol. Just keeping an eye on her, she is on the time out chair a lot in the creche for hitting and biting she is just impulsive but saying that Melissa is still impulsive so just keeping a close eye on her. But i take her to creches so wether this as made her more social, her speech is coming on i have taken her to these creches for over a year now to get her speech going, where as i never did with Melissa, although she had her older brother and sister. Zoe may be completely different, as she is an attention seeker and loves the attention but whereas Melissa attention seeks but hates attention as she is very anxious, i notice when she is anxious that is when she becomes more hyper, hits out at me moreso if i draw attention to her, ie asking others what they think of her dress she would hit me as that is drawing attention to her. I will see how she goes i may ask her to be seen by an ed psych.

Do you know their older sister was seen by an ed psych for saying nasty things to other children and making them cry and when i mean nasty, she would say things like i wish you were dead. This was in yr2 they split about 5 girls up into seperate groups as they all were fighting all the time. I remember Lisa asking why she never got invited to parties so i explained because you are mean to everyone. She is now 14yrs old and i actually think she may have aspergers, she is intelligent, obsessed with naruto to the extreme where she actually draws the characters 24/7 watches them on the internet, wants to dress like them although she does have friends, they all get called geeks. Her eye contact even now is scandalous. And funnily enough now that i am analyzing Melissa it is drawing attention to a lot of other things like something our Zoe does if someone she knows says hello to her outside of the creche she won't look at them or say hello back but then when inside the creche she will say hello to them, that is exactly what our Lisa used to do when she was the same age, how strange is that........Melissa wouldn't say hello at all regardless of the situation or whoever it was even family, It was only recently she asked me why i say hello to people, bless her. Sharon x