Sign in to follow this  
Delyth

The Horse Boy

Hi Delyth

Unfortunately I missed it, but thanks to your link I have bookmarked it and will watch it as soon as I can. (Not having seen it) I wonder how people manage to travel, go strange places, spend time with lots of strange people, with an autistic child? I have had a job to even get out of the house at times!!

No we don't get BBC 4 but I'll try and watch on iplayer - thanks for th e link. I've read various articles about this family and I think there's a thread about it somewhere.

K x

Yes I watched it.

I'm not sure what I think about it.

There are a number of different threads you could take with it ie. children working with animals.

Sharmanism(?) - don't know if I spelt that right.

Totally removing your child from their predictable routine.

And many many times I look at what we are doing here in the UK and the supports and services he gets and I wonder if it wouldn't be better for all of us to just get in a van and travel.

The parents did say that the morning after the meeting with the last spiritual healer that he started using a toilet. And you did see some improvement in his overall behaviour and interactions. But, as with anything, would it have happened anyway. Or was it down to the healers.

I think that parents are prepared to go to astonishing lengths to try to gain some improvement and a better prognosis for their child. And although this journey was uncomfortable for the child at times, I don't think he got more upset than any other child might.

And obviously this journey is not one that every child could take. This was a very specific one that was built around the boys strengths and interests (ie. horses).