julieann

College hours

Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right place. The Yr 11 pupil that I support is due an interview at the end of the week regarding her education after secondary school. Her mum seems to think that she is only being offered 16 hours at college a week over the next two years. She has also been asked I think by connextions to think about what sort of a job her daughter would like to do.

Is this what happens as I have no experience of after secondary as my son 20yrs didn't get past Yr 8.

I thought she would be offered full time courses or is 16 hours full time?

Julieann

Hi Julianne.

I think full time is 20 + hours but I'll have to check that - I'm not sure.

My daughter didn't get past year 10 so I've no personal experience of the usual transition process when someone with SEN leaves school. The connexions service is responsible for ensuring that an assessment of the pupil's needs (section 140) is carried out and the appropriate further education provision identified. It sounds as though this interview is part of that process.

K x

When I recently studied an AS Level at a local 6th form college, we were allotted 4 1/2 hours teaching time per week for the subject. Typically, students study 4 AS Levels, so 16 hours might mean 4 subjects, with 4 hours per week teaching time for each subject, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

Hi Julianne.

I think full time is 20 + hours but I'll have to check that - I'm not sure.

My daughter didn't get past year 10 so I've no personal experience of the usual transition process when someone with SEN leaves school. The connexions service is responsible for ensuring that an assessment of the pupil's needs (section 140) is carried out and the appropriate further education provision identified. It sounds as though this interview is part of that process.

K x

Thank-you for your replies Kathryn and Tally. I will know more after Friday. Her mum thinks she is really going to struggle with finding carers etc as her daughter can't be left without an adult and her older daughter who mum has relied on in the past has started at university. My pupil has been very unhappy at mainstream school and has been doing most of her hours at the local MLD school since September but there are still lots of issues and anxieties in this setting.

Should I ask her mum if she has ever thought about AS schools or would that be over stepping the professional line as her daughters LSA. I do have coffee with her and a chat every month or so.

Julieann

Edited by julieann

Hi, apparently 12 hours or more a week are considered full time education up to A level, according to what the Child support agency say.

My wife thinks it 16 hours for EMA, purposes.

Full time support in college is available but is normally administered by the college itself and I believe is funded by central government. Basically the collage gets an amount of money each year and its up to them how they spend it.

Edited by chris54

Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right place. The Yr 11 pupil that I support is due an interview at the end of the week regarding her education after secondary school. Her mum seems to think that she is only being offered 16 hours at college a week over the next two years. She has also been asked I think by connexions to think about what sort of a job her daughter would like to do.

Is this what happens as I have no experience of after secondary as my son 20yrs didn't get past Yr 8.

I thought she would be offered full time courses or is 16 hours full time?

Julieann

Some disability benefits at least used to require studying of 16 hours or less on educational courses. By studying they mean taught time, so lunch times and breaks also home study courses wouldn't count. So severe disablement allowance claimants like me for example wouldn't be permitted to be in class for longer than 16 hours a week, i think the same is for incapacity and employment and support allowances.

It could be that she couldn't manage a 35 hour week. You could also refer your son to Connexions since hes within their remit of under 25.

Alexis