Sign in to follow this  
sandyn

Statement advice

Hi, my son is 10 and has Aspergers and ADHD. He is very capable academically but socially is having lots of problems at school. The school agree that he needs to be statemented but are dragging their heels as they feel the LEA will turn him down because he is so academically able. However, someone told me that the school needs to apply for a Statement based on behaviour. Is this different from a normal statement? I am very concerned because my son will not be able to cope in mainstream secondary without a great deal of support.

Hi sandyn :thumbs:

My son is 6 and is also very able academically but really struggles with social and sensory issues. The school applied for a statement giving ASD as his primary need. This is because most of his behaviour problems stem from his social and sensory issues and are directly linked to his ASD. I guess it depends on the reasons behind your boy's behaviour and whether it is felt that his issues are linked to his condition. I don't think there is any difference in the process whatever the reason for applying.

You probably already know this, but you can apply for a statement yourself, although it will help to have the school's full support.

Nicky x

Hi Sandyn.

You can request a Statutary Assessment yourself as a parent.Children who are academically able but have difficulties due to AS can have a Statement.It is not always an easy process but can be done.

Ben is very able in some subjects but has a Statement.A Statement also does not have to be related to behavioural difficulties and I don't think there is such a thing as a ''Statement for behaviour'' .Some pupils with Emotional Social and Behavioural difficulties are supported through a Statement but it is still a Statement of SEN.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/What-you-need-to-k...stingAssessment

This link might be useful and includes a draft letter you could use if you wish.

Transition to secondary school is often not an easy process for pupils with AS [see my thread this evening for more information :rolleyes: ] so it may well be worth planning ahead.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

My son id six and I was also told he wont get a statement by the HT also cause he is intelligent.However the Paed has said he HAS to have one or else he will be excluded which is not going to help his future also she believes he can do even better if he has proper support.The school have decided to do it now but if they havent done so in a month I will do it myself.So if your school isnt supportive go for it yourself.Best of luck.

Many thanks for your replies. I think that I will be going down the route of applying myself. Its always fight fight fight :(

Feels that way today. :tearful: ....... >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Karen.

Have a look at the SEN Code of Practice - on this website.

In a Statement it should identify EVERY NEED a child has in section 2 and should itemise in section 3 how those needs should be met in terms of hours of support and staffing provision ie. who is going to deliver, monitor, review, plan the support and how often it will be delivered etc.

NEEDS do not have to be academic ones. For example a child in a wheelchair might have access needs. Or may need input from physio or OT. So you need to look at the areas your child has needs/difficulties. You mention 'behaviour' so I am assuming that there are some issues around that. But remember that in many cases the right amount of support in the right areas can reduce alot of behavioural issues.

You may well be told all kinds of things by the school or LEA. Please make sure you check that with the National Autistic Society or IPSEA or this forum. Statements cost the LEA money because they are legally binding. So it is not in their interests to issue them.