Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Spots

Hi all,

Daniel gets spots which are mostly on his face ... does anyone know of any suitable treatment for spots? I've listened to the pharmacist's recommendations - Daniel has already tried the face washes, face pads and mild soap suggestions but these are not working.

He is conscious of his spots because they 'hurt him'. I'm reluctant for him to receive GP prescribed treatments.

Any suggestions?

Hi Helen,

I know it's not good for the skin in the long run but has he tried either sunbathing or a short course of sunbed treatment to dry the skin out a bit ? the doctor can refer him for treatment in a very high powered type sun 'cabin' - it's all precisely measured depending on the condition of the skin.

Has he ever tried a zinc supplement - that can sometimes improve problem skin.

Hi Helen,

I've suffered spots since I was 11 and if there was a cure, believe me, I'd have found it by now! :wacko: My daughter also gets spots and I think for both of us it's definitely a hormonal thing, but I don't know how boys are affected. We both use the various off the shelf face washes, which I'm sure don't do any harm but I haven't found one I can say definitely works.

I'd agree with big mamma, my skin improves in summer, although sun exposure has its dangers. I also noticed a dramatic improvement when I went swimming in the sea - perhaps the antiseptic properties of salt.

A good diet can't hurt, and drinking lots of water. I can undertand your reluctance to let your son take more aggressive treatments which can have powerful side effects.

It will probably improve in time, but that's not much comfort right now. I hope someone else can suggest something that has more immediate results.

K

Kathryn!

I've never noiced any spots!!

If you want to see a bad complexion just look at me!!!

I think my spots are linked to PCOS, but that's another story!

As for teenage lads...Helen, does your son actually USE the medicated wipes, etc? I religiously provide my son with these things, which generally he ignores! But he did have a spate of using them after Christmas (New Years Resolution and all that...) and I did see a big difference.

Of course he's back to not using them now... ;)

Bidx

Bid,

Thanks for that. >:D<<'> It's wonderful what concealers can do...

I haven't noticed any on you either.

I remember my very first spot. I was 11 and it was right in the middle of my chin.

K

Big mamma: Thanks I will look into your Zinc suggestion :)

Kathryn: Daniel's diet is very poor, he's such a faddy eater and he doesn't like water, but thanks for your input.

Bid: Yep he does use the wipes, in fact he prefers to use these to the other proucts we have tried...

Thanks all >:D<<'>

I remember "acne" coming up on the Paul Shattock questionnaire (before doing the urinary analysis) so there must be some sort of rationale for him asking this question! Anybody know what the link is??? Could anybody ask him if they bump into him?

Or is it that our bodies are poor at detoxifying generally?

I remember reading somewhere that a detox diet supposedly made autistics "feel better" but I can't remember exactly where I got that little gem.

Valiat_Skylark xx

My teenage niece swears by putting toothpaste on her spots. She dabs it on in the evening,sleeps with it on and washs it off in the morning. Apparently it dries them out and soothes the irritation. I have tried it myself with the odd middle of the forehead mega zit and it does work.

Loraine

Hiya,

I had really bad acne as a teen, I tried all the usual medicated washes from the chemists shops, you know the oxy stuff and clearsel etc. Didn't work not only that they are not cheap are they??. :o

The Gp gave me a mild anti-biotic ( Sorry can't spell ) Which i took one everyday. No nasty side effects. It worked brillant. The only draw-back was it took a few weeks to start working, and got worse before it got better . It really did work.

(the Gp can also give creams and washes too ) :)

It may be worth speaking to the gp, especially if they are affecting his condfidence etc. :blink:

Yeah i can vouch for the toothpaste, does work better on just the odd zit

( not good if you have alot of spots!. U get stuck to the pillow!!!. )

:blink::unsure:

Good luck.

sel

In my case, I can't remember a time when I wasn't struggling with spots, although I was hoping that there'd be a gap between the teenage acne and the onset of crows feet and saggy neck..

But now I've got both at the same time. :(:wacko:

I'm going to be the only 90 year old still using clearasil... :lol: