Mandapanda

About your son and this Asparagus thingy...

The disability advisor for Pathways to Work called it "Aspergus" syndrome - and she already had another client with the condition :o

At least she'd heard of it unlike the guy who followed her - he learnt soon enough :)

I do wish someone would definitively tell me, once and for all, whether the 'g' in "Asperger's" is supposed to be a "hard 'g'" (as in "go") or a "soft 'g'" (as in "ginger"). :wallbash:

Over the 9 years or so that I've heard the term used since I was diagnosed, there must've been a 50/50 split on the pronunciation used by all the different people I've heard say it! And, as a result, I've probably split my own pronunciations of it 50/50 too! :rolleyes: It's darn frustrating, not knowing either way!

If only Hans Asperger was still alive, so we could just ask him and be done with it.

James

I do wish someone would definitively tell me, once and for all, whether the 'g' in "Asperger's" is supposed to be a "hard 'g'" (as in "go") or a "soft 'g'" (as in "ginger"). :wallbash:

Over the 9 years or so that I've heard the term used since I was diagnosed, there must've been a 50/50 split on the pronunciation used by all the different people I've heard say it! And, as a result, I've probably split my own pronunciations of it 50/50 too! :rolleyes: It's darn frustrating, not knowing either way!

If only Hans Asperger was still alive, so we could just ask him and be done with it.

James

Hi James

As he was German I believe it should be a hard g, but most people I meet are happier saying it with a soft g for some reason. :wacko:

Hans Asperger's name would definitely have been pronounced with a hard G. Some people anglicise the pronounciation of the condition to a soft G.

I once saw a doctor about a different condition. When I said I also had Asperger's, he said his son had it, but he still spelt it "Asberger's" all through the write-up from the appointment.

And often peeps who use a soft 'g' also put the stress on the second syllable: "Aspergers" instead of the stress on the first syllable and a hard 'g' as I think it should be pronounced: "Aspergers".

So there! :P

Bid :lol:

Edited by bid

Hans Asperger's name would definitely have been pronounced with a hard G. Some people anglicise the pronounciation of the condition to a soft G.

I once saw a doctor about a different condition. When I said I also had Asperger's, he said his son had it, but he still spelt it "Asberger's" all through the write-up from the appointment.

I toggle between the two, depending on who I'm talking to (bit like putting on the posh accent without realising it). I'd go with the hard G - but then again, it could be that Herr (or Herr Doktor) Asperger inherited his name from some distant French relative, in which case it would be with a soft G and the name would be pronounced something like Aspairjair. Oh dear, don't you think it's time I went and stuck my head in a bucket of cold snow?

Billabong

I think there was a long thread on this very subject a while ago.

If you want to go with the authentic German prounciation it should be hard G, but in Englishwe are used to softening the G before e, hence the confusion.

I see no problem with anglicising the pronunciation - after all we do it with countless other foreign words, but I think there's less excuse for mangling the spelling. Asbergers indeed! :wallbash:

K x

What about Asborjer's then, Kathryn? By a healthcare 'professional', I kid you not!

I was looking at the notes as she continued writing and it grated on me till I could stand it no more, and piped up- 'I'm sorry, but that's nothing like the real spelling- would you mind correcting it, please?'

Talk about a death glare.....my heart paused a moment, honest! However, correct it she did. My OH was appalled at me- though he was helpless with laughter about it once we were outside!

Hello :-)

When I was little I remember hearing it pronounced as Az burger for fun. This was how we play with word's to remember a name that was difficult to remember.

An easy way to remember names like Monnfrooy is to say Moon fry so Az burger helped with As purr ger. As I know they say it in Australia. Hard g now people in our circles use soft g I guess by preference.

Mia

What about Asborjer's then, Kathryn? By a healthcare 'professional', I kid you not!

I was looking at the notes as she continued writing and it grated on me till I could stand it no more, and piped up- 'I'm sorry, but that's nothing like the real spelling- would you mind correcting it, please?'

Talk about a death glare.....my heart paused a moment, honest! However, correct it she did. My OH was appalled at me- though he was helpless with laughter about it once we were outside!

I suppose you should've been grateful she got 5 of the 8 letters right. :lol:

James