lisa2701

New sensory issue

Hi everyone,

I have a 5 year old son who is dx with asd. About 3 months ago he started getting upset over tags in his clothes, so i started cutting them out, problem solved. However in the last month he is becoming increasingly upset with seams in his clothes, and i am lost as to what the solution could be? I have been thinking about buying him boxers (instead of pants) to see if that could help, and then buying plain t-shirts and turning them inside out and putting them on under his clothes but i suspect my DS will refuse to wear inside out clothes as we tried this with his pants and he couldn't understand why on earth i wanted him to wear his pants inside out, so i was wondering if there is anywhere i can just buy seamless clothes or seamless under garments?

Many thanks

Lisa x

I have this problem. Socks inside out can work quite well and Sainsbury's sell ladies seamless socks which are just plain so would be OK (but they might not do them small enough).

For tops, underneath things you could try long-sleeved vests or if you go to camping clothes type shops you can get what are referred to as wicking tops which often come in seamless versions and go well under other things and often come in special thin materials so are not bulky. Again, not sure about kids sizes though and they're not cheap.

Boxer style may help and also buying a size bigger or two than he is (as long as they don't fall down!!) so the seams are less likely to rub.

Thanks Mumble,

I have tried buying larger pants for him but he still doesn't like them. haven't tried boxers so i plan on getting some for him tomorrow to see if they help. I will see if i can sorce seamless childrens wicking tops, i don't mind paying for things if it will help him to be more comfortable, i don't have sensory issue's and yet there are a few materials/lables etc that i can't stand so i understand to a degree how upsetting this can get and hate the thought of my son dealing with that everyday. His school uniform is becoming one of the biggest issues we're having, the seams in his school tops seem to drive him crazy. I know its a fairly common problem so i just thought that there would be a company out there that would sell thin, seamless under clothing for this type of situation. ?

Many thanks

Lisa xx

I think now is probably a good time for him to learn that he can't always have things the way he wants them... Very important life skill, that one.

Sorry if that sounds flippant - it's not meant to be. Just honest/realistic.

L&P

BD :D

Thanks Mumble,

I have tried buying larger pants for him but he still doesn't like them. haven't tried boxers so i plan on getting some for him tomorrow to see if they help. I will see if i can sorce seamless childrens wicking tops, i don't mind paying for things if it will help him to be more comfortable, i don't have sensory issue's and yet there are a few materials/lables etc that i can't stand so i understand to a degree how upsetting this can get and hate the thought of my son dealing with that everyday. His school uniform is becoming one of the biggest issues we're having, the seams in his school tops seem to drive him crazy. I know its a fairly common problem so i just thought that there would be a company out there that would sell thin, seamless under clothing for this type of situation. ?

Many thanks

Lisa xx

Hi lisa2701

You have my sympathy. This is very difficult to cope with. I know it is not just a case of a child being fussy, making a fuss about nothing, or 'not liking' the feeling. They really cannot bear it.

My youngest used to say he could 'feel' the pattern on T-shirts! The polo shirts he had to wear at Junior school had to have the collar ironed down flat against the shirt so it wasn't up his neck. At Seniors they had to wear proper cotton shirts and he really found this unbearable.

Socks have been a constant prob with my eldest, although he seems to be getting better now he's 16. But he still takes about 10 mins to get his socks and shoes on. I used to have to wash and tumble his proper cotton school shirts until the collars were floppy and soft, and he could only bear one make (BHS).

You can get seamless ski socks but they are really thick.

Could you sew some ribbon or something along the inside of the seams? Seams tend to be a sort of thick roll, and ribbon or tape might smooth the feeling out a bit. Some seams and labels also have prickly thread which irritates. I don't know if this would help but it is the sort of thing I would try.

Good luck!

It might be worth looking on the internet for seemless clothing. I have heard that seemless underwear is much more easily available in the USA. If you know anyone else with a similar problem, you might be able to cut down on costs by placing a bulk order.

baddad - i do think your comment is rather flippant. I think if you knew us, you would know that my son already knows that he can't get things the way he wants them all the time. I feel there is a big difference in "spoiling" your child and giving into there every whim, and not wanting your child to be in discomfort/distress all day every day, especially when school is involved as such things could be very distracting and hinder school work.

Mandapanda and tally - I have searched the internet for seamless clothes but not had much luck, i am sure somewhere out there they must exist. Socks doesn't seem to be an issue for him thankfully, mainly his tops and the wasit band of his trousers to be honest. I am going to buy some plain t-shirts/ long sleeve vest or whatever i can find that i can turn inside out and put under his clothes and i pray if he will let me do it once he will see the benefits of wearing things inside out and allow me to do that. Just hope he doesn't get too warm, will have to think of something better (perhaps ribbon as you suggested Mandapanda) for the summer time??

>:D<<'> Lisa >:D<<'>

just wanted to offer some positive vibes, my son is now 14 yrs old.He has always had alot of sensory issues with smells touch taste etc.As a youngster he had alot of problems with clothing , we helped by cutting out labels etc , his problem also seemed to be related to fabrics aswell.However over the years he doesn,t complain anywhere near as much and has definitely de-sensitised naturally as he has got older.He still ,will only wear limited types of clothes , clothes , but can cope as well when needed to wear woollen fabrics and thick trousers as part of his Air Cadet uniform.There is hope for the future :thumbs:

Has he been seen by an Occupational Therapist? If not then go back to the paediatrician that diagnosed the ASD, or your GP and ask for a referal to the OT. It may take a long time. It took us 2 years. But you don't know what the situation will be like in two years time. So stay on the waiting list.

My son cannot tolerate some seams in some clothes. We buy the snug cotton boxers that go a little down his leg. I cut out all tags. I don't think there is any one shop that you will get all the things from. M&S has some seamless underwear. And I always test clothes before I buy them by running the problem area over my lips. If it feels stratchy, then I don't buy it. Sounds bizarre, but the lips are very sensitive and it saves you binning alot of clothes.

If you can afford it, it might be worthwhile getting some advice from a private OT so that you can start a sensory programme to try to help desensitise him.

Sometimes, if other senses (eg. sight, sound, smell, taste) are over sensitive it can cause the child to become sensitive in other senses as well. So look at his sensory integration overall. By reducing over stimulation in one sense it can cause a calming effect on other senses.

And fluctuation in perception is part of the problem. So he may have some days when he does well and others when it is very bad. But that is what SID is all about.

the US is defeintely the place to go. when i was over there i found all sorts of wonderful things they dont have here. i'll have a look at the brands i got and see if they do kids stuff and report back

the brand 'Hanes' do fantastic comfortable clothes, i've never had any trouble with them, and most of their stuff doesn't have any tags in either! they do some kids clothes (their tshirts have some seams, but they're all covered over so you can't feel them if i remember correctly) and they also do 'no ride up' underpants with a comfort waist band. i have some pj bottoms with their comfort waistband and theyre the most comfortable thing i own so its certainly worth a look

My 12 year old son has had sensory problems for years. (Which do not seem to be getting better). He hates seams labels and certain materials. He even dislikes the weight of coats.

For socks we buy seamless socks from America. Pants he pefers tight pants a size too small (This suits him)

We do not buy any tops with lots of patterns or seams going across the body. Labels have to be removed even the stitching (Its no good just cutting the label out).

We keep to plain cotton tops. He will not wear jumpers, cardigans. (He always over heats)

We also have to wash the clothes several times so they are soft.

He wears grey trousers for school and we have found the elasticated waist more confortable for him. Although at the age of 12 you can not get an elasticted waist you can buy the trousers that give about one inch by moving a button on the inside of the seam.

Most of the time our son likes to walk round in cotton shorts and t-shirt no socks. (Looks strange this time of year)

We also use a weighted blanket for him to sleep with.

I find coping with his sensory difficulties - touch, sound, sight more difficult to deal with than dealing with his autism. As the impact of these are varing all the time and you can not predict how he is feeling or coping.

I found that talking to my son about it helped alot. Because obviously he could see that other children were okay with the stuff that he could not tolerate, and he thought he was stupid or something. So I just explained it simply that sometimes he hears, feels etc things differently to other people. That was quite an eye opener to him because he thought everyone was the same. My son makes me smile because he often verbalises what I am thinking eg. we'll walk into a shop that smells awful of either cleaning products or air freshners and he'll say "what's that stinky smell, just at the moment i'm thinking it."

Prior to the diagnosis I just thought he took after me because I am quite bad with clothes. Everything has to be cotton, no lace, some elastic and seams are unbearable. And it isn't that it is scratchy. Ater about 30 seconds the scratchy feeling turns into pain and it is like a pin being stuck in me. I have had to go into changing rooms in the city and ask for scissors to cut out a label from a new T-shirt. I had forgotton to remove it. What started off being uncomfortable was soon unbearable and it was either cut out the label or remove the T-shirt and go naked under the coat! And once the pain switch is turned on, the sensation can last for minutes afterwards.

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied.

NobbyNobbs i have had a look at hanes however it appears that the US site doesn't deliver out with the US and the uk site doesn't do kids clothes :rolleyes: . I have searched the internet to see what i can find and came up with nothing. He doesn't seem to bother about his socks, more his underware (will try M&S) and tops. He used to be bad with waist bands (especially those that are adjustable) but since i started buying normal waist bands and belts he seems to be much better with them. more if labels annoy him more than anything but i usually cut them out.

I definately do find the sensory issues harder to deal with than the autism its self - it hard to imagine how his senses are working (not having any issues myself with things) so its a difficult one to predict, and as a few of you's say it can change from day to day depending on tiredness/stress/mood etc.

He hasn't had any OT but i have been told to contact my local social work and ask for an OT to do a bathroom assesment for him as we only have a shower in the house and he hates the shower, saying that it scratches him, also can never get the temperature right for him(he always feels like i'm burning him :( ) , where as with a bath i could use a thermometer to get the exact tempertaure he likes ...once i work it out lol.

I bought a couple of soft white t-shirts yesterday with the plan of turning then inside out and putting them under his clothes to see if this helps. Fingers crossed.

Lisa >:D<<'>

Hi

I had and still have this problem. I have to wear a uniform for my work and this can be a nightmare. I found most help at camping/hiking shops and sports wear especially running things. I can't cut labels out it drives me mad and as for turning things inside out, not a chance.

I have helly hansan 'dry' thermal t-shirts which after a couple of washes has been fantastic, you can get these long and short sleeved.

If I have clothes that irritate then I wash them using liquid and softner, which sometimes works, the bands on jeans can be tricky though. When I can I tumble dry my clothes to try and help soften them. Most of the time I just give up and try and find something else to wear, long vests sometimes work but they come untucked but that dosen't help.

Plasters are another thing I use, I put them over the irritating part of the waste band.

Seamless underwear for males can be got from specialiest running/cycling shops.

There are a couple of websites online (see below) I don't know if they are any good but it may be worth phoning them to see if they can help.

http://www.modatex.es/en/seamless-clothes.html

I hope this is some kind of help.

hi sorry to change subject slightly but i have 13 year old dd who has problems with seams on bras,she will only wear seamless and they have to be racer back style,the problem was not too bad used to be able to get them from marks and sparks but now she has got bigger,( need a 38b) am having lots of trouble finding anything,if anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated as we are down to 1 bra!!!

and as others have said its not giving in to let them have it but at the end of the day we have to try and make their lives happy its not their fault!

regards julia

hi sorry to change subject slightly but i have 13 year old dd who has problems with seams on bras,she will only wear seamless and they have to be racer back style,the problem was not too bad used to be able to get them from marks and sparks but now she has got bigger,( need a 38b) am having lots of trouble finding anything,if anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated as we are down to 1 bra!!!

and as others have said its not giving in to let them have it but at the end of the day we have to try and make their lives happy its not their fault!

regards julia

Debenhams are good for raceback bras and generally have a lot of different types. La senza too (see below) it just depends what she likes, Sports bras can be comfy too.

http://www.lasenza.co.uk/bras/sports-bras/...mp;img=D608_191

Hope that helps

Debenhams are good for raceback bras and generally have a lot of different types. La senza too (see below) it just depends what she likes, Sports bras can be comfy too.

http://www.lasenza.co.uk/bras/sports-bras/...mp;img=D608_191

Hope that helps

I agree sports bras are best!I am quite...well big busted and I absolutley hate underwires feel like its cutting me.Plus its easy to stick sports bras in washing machine.Oh I also like these vest like shirts with hidden support dont know the name but my mum gets them abroad,though you can get it here,they nice in winter as it keeps you warm and gives enough support.

hi thanks for replies will try both suggestions,have tried a few sports ones but that was before i realised she wouldnt wear ones with seams,so will try to get sports ones that are seamless as thats what shes comfy in,again thanks regards julia :thumbs:

my son just to have terrible problems in the shower due to sensory issues. In the end we got him to wear a pair of goggles and this saved the problem. (Even though he does not get his hair wet)

M and M sport sell the sports bras you are looking for. But they are a mail order company. www.mandmdirect.com/

my son just to have terrible problems in the shower due to sensory issues. In the end we got him to wear a pair of goggles and this saved the problem. (Even though he does not get his hair wet)

M and M sport sell the sports bras you are looking for. But they are a mail order company. www.mandmdirect.com/