JsMum

you know its freezing when?

When our kids will volunteer to wear a coat!

For years J doesnt really wear them, hates buying them, is usually happy in sub zero tempretures to walk around as if its summer, but today we were out and J who has no fat on him was shivering, there and then he agreed a new coat was needed, imediatly I took up the opportunity and crammed him into a clothes store were he happily choose a really warm lined parker and wouldnt take it off as he was all cozy, now thats when you know its cold!

How are your kids with winter and keeping warm?

JsMumxxx

Well done J for finally getting a winter coat! :thumbs:

My parents' house is built from timber frames filled with cow pats. I spent most of my childhood wearing my coat indoors. You kind of get used to it after a while.

i dont wear coats. i will wear a hoody but thats it, and often forget to put that on and go out in just a tshirt! in this cold i've managed to switch to a thicker hoody, it is fuzzy inside but i can wear it as long as i put it on with socks on my hands... once its on its ok, but i can't bear my hands to touch the insides.

I have one child who almost always wears a coat and is reluctant to remove it indoors and another who never goes out with his coat unless reminded.

Me? I'm always cold whatever I wear- probably need more body fat to insulate me against the elements. I've been working hard on that throughout Christmas. :whistle::rolleyes:

K x

For years J doesnt really wear them, hates buying them, is usually happy in sub zero tempretures to walk around as if its summer, but today we were out and J who has no fat on him was shivering, there and then he agreed a new coat was needed, imediatly I took up the opportunity and crammed him into a clothes store were he happily choose a really warm lined parker and wouldnt take it off as he was all cozy, now thats when you know its cold!

JsMumxxx

hehe :lol: Soundsso fimilar.Sam andDanboth have this problem.Today Sam even put his hat and gloves and...he even zipped his coat up ;)

Dan lasted 15min then the coat was disgarded,no gloves,no hat.

Glad to hear J found something nice and warm :)

I have one child who almost always wears a coat and is reluctant to remove it indoors and another who never goes out with his coat unless reminded.

Me? I'm always cold whatever I wear- probably need more body fat to insulate me against the elements. I've been working hard on that throughout Christmas. :whistle::rolleyes:

K x

If you have fibromyalgia, thyroid disease or raynauds that could be causing your feeling cold all the time problem. i found taking milk thistle supplements 3 x a day helped with my bodies ability to heat itself.

Alexis

As a fibromite with raynauds i need to keep myself warm when i can. Working out why im cold could include several reasons listed below

1. needs to use the bathroom and hasn’t realised this yet (cold shivers in her case)

2. needs to eat and cannot recall when she last had something to eat

3. needs to drink and cannot recall when she last drank something

4. developing a UTI (treatable only in her case with probiotics and plenty of water)

5. needs to put the heating on as it is cold in her flat

6. very stressed about something and needs a hot drink, salted food and change of environment

7. having a Raynauds attack (see page 3 for details) requiring urgent medical treatment

8. needs to sleep

(adapted from my essay "challenging behaviour or Alternative communication")

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

No I don't think I have any of those conditions but thanks for the suggestion. :) I think it's just that I was brought up in a far hotter country than this one and have never quite adjusted to the colder climate. I usually manage OK by wearing lots of layers and turning up the heating! When I visit other people though, I feel their houses are almost always a bit too cold for me.

K x

I am the same as Kathryn, I seem to feel the cold more than most.

It's become a running joke that I always have a coat on. At my last school I used to wear a scarf all the time and one of the parents came up to me and started asking about my bad neck - they thought that was why I wore it all the time. Part of it is that I don't like my skin being uncovered, especially my arms, I think it must be a sensory thing. I just don't like feeling the air against my skin. But also I am constantly cold. In winter I wear thermals under my trousers all the time, it is usual for me to wear 5 tops too. I have 3 blankets in bed and wear thick pyjamas and socks. Last week when we were in a restaurant with all my boyfriends' friends they admitted it was a little cold but I was frozen and my hands went blue.

It doesn't help that at work it is freezing and people don't understand how cold I am. The heating is unreliable and they won't let us have blow heaters because they trip the electrics. The day before we broke up for Christmas it was 8 degrees in my classroom, surely that isn't legal!!

DD1 13 AS hates coats and has not worn one for years - in fact I don't think I've bought one since she was around 9.

Given that we live in central Sweden and have weeks of very low temperatures this is no mean feat - however even in the minus 20sC she only wears a jumper or fleece.

We have a cool minus 23C today

DD1 13 AS hates coats and has not worn one for years - in fact I don't think I've bought one since she was around 9.

Given that we live in central Sweden and have weeks of very low temperatures this is no mean feat - however even in the minus 20sC she only wears a jumper or fleece.

We have a cool minus 23C today

Wow Puffin thats chilly. We don't really know what cold is in uk. do we.

I had a similar problem with Dd1 who never wore a coat when she was younger. When she was about 18 she asked me to buy her a skiing jacket, which I did but she only wore it a couple of times and now she lives away from home and tells me she can't find it.

Dd3 will wear a coat, hat scarf, gloves until they get wet [ she has to touch the snow/ice/water on the car etc], then she can't stand the feel of them so off they come. B)

I feel the cold a lot. I spend a long time in the shower a lot (and have always had a lot of stick for it) - the two main reasons are a) I've zoned out and B) I'm really cold and can't get out. I'm usually the one complaining when it gets cold as I'm usually feeling a lot colder than everyone else.

Kerry, there's a lower temperature limit, so I was led to believe when I was in school, and if the temperature of the classroom drops below that then they're supposed to send the kids home. Look it up, maybe?

I am the same as Kathryn, I seem to feel the cold more than most.

It's become a running joke that I always have a coat on. At my last school I used to wear a scarf all the time and one of the parents came up to me and started asking about my bad neck - they thought that was why I wore it all the time. Part of it is that I don't like my skin being uncovered, especially my arms, I think it must be a sensory thing. I just don't like feeling the air against my skin. But also I am constantly cold. In winter I wear thermals under my trousers all the time, it is usual for me to wear 5 tops too. I have 3 blankets in bed and wear thick pyjamas and socks. Last week when we were in a restaurant with all my boyfriends' friends they admitted it was a little cold but I was frozen and my hands went blue.

It doesn't help that at work it is freezing and people don't understand how cold I am. The heating is unreliable and they won't let us have blow heaters because they trip the electrics. The day before we broke up for Christmas it was 8 degrees in my classroom, surely that isn't legal!!

Sounds like Raynauds which is what i have, milk thistle 3 times a day helped a bit. i also cannot stand air conditioning as it literally hurts my skin (with the movement of the hairs on my skin). Sounds illegal for the temperature to be that cold in the classroom.

Alexis

Wow Puffin thats chilly. We don't really know what cold is in uk. do we.

I had a similar problem with Dd1 who never wore a coat when she was younger. When she was about 18 she asked me to buy her a skiing jacket, which I did but she only wore it a couple of times and now she lives away from home and tells me she can't find it.

Dd3 will wear a coat, hat scarf, gloves until they get wet [ she has to touch the snow/ice/water on the car etc], then she can't stand the feel of them so off they come. B)

Ha - found out yesterday evening that DD had been out to get the post (not too far but around 100m) when it was minus 25C in the afternoon - at least DH had shovelled around 60 cm snow off the driveway - she went out in a T-shirt, summer mini skirt and no trousers or socks :rolleyes:

I asked her if she was cold and she said 'not really'

Today we have a bracing minus 26.5C

N will wear a coat, but never voluntarily, and hates wearing gloves, hat and scarves (esp scarves). She went out in the snow this morning and actually wore her hat and scarf but didnt bother with the gloves - she came in after 10 mins as her hands were freezing (normally having cold hands doesn't bother her so it must be cold!! LOL).

my son, aged 10 who normally complains about everything and usually doesn't play or mix with his peers cos they ''irritate him with their immaturity'' actually had a snowball fight with a boy visiting next door today, I was stunned, I felt really guilty when I had to call him in for his dinner (5 times!!) and even after he wanted to go back out to see if the boy was still outside (he wasn't--just as well it was dark by then) :robbie:

My Dd1 turned up yeasterday to play in the snow with the missing coat on. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Dd3 had to go to school today when Dd2 was off due to school closure, Dd3 Sooooooooooo upset, she really didn't understand. She volunteered to go to school in her salopettes though and I was allowed to pull her all the way on the sledge. Hope she's ok when I fetch her. B)

My parents' house is built from timber frames filled with cow pats. I spent most of my childhood wearing my coat indoors. You kind of get used to it after a while.

that sounds like my house but without the cow pats looks more like loft insulation so you will know what i mean when i say cold and draughty and kieran will only wear a t shirt all weathers doesnt do jumpers but sitting in front of my ELECTRIC FIRE! all day and everyday isnt doing my electric meter any good nor my purse lol.Ive told him to put a jumper on and he just says how sad is that i think my fire is going to have a total power failure im going to remove the fuse it doesnt bother him if i told him it was broke and once he s tried it he s fine its cheaper and warmer in the long run to have the central heating on heating the whole house rather than just one room

Damn, there was me thinking I'd finally addressed one of my ASD 'things' :rolleyes::lol: :lol: I've put my coat on, my proper coat my sister took me shopping for and which has played little role other than to look pretty on the door hook, everyday I've been out over the last week or so and my sister's not even in the country at the moment to bug me!! And I've accessorised it with scarves, hats, gloves and wellies - on good days these items have even matched!!! :lol: :lol:

Kerry - just happened upon the legalities of lower temperature in work...Check out the second bullet point under "Making the workplace safe and healthy" at:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Hea...Work/DG_4016686

Thanks Meethoss, I thought 8 degrees was too low. I will see how cold it is when we go back to school on Monday, and may have to involve my union.

JsMumxxx

He is has only gone and LOST his new winter coat!!!!! :crying:

Its been missing for around 2 weeks now, im gutted.

JsMumxxx

The day before we broke up for Christmas it was 8 degrees in my classroom, surely that isn't legal!!

that is illegal the minimum working temp is 16 degrees, although where I work we have no heating at all except the heat from the swimming pool (leisure centre) and often the temp falls below 16, it has been measureed and recorded, yet they still make us work in it

He is has only gone and LOST his new winter coat!!!!! :crying:

Its been missing for around 2 weeks now, im gutted.

JsMumxxx

Oh no - is it at school? If it is, it will probably turn up.

K x