Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

Autism and H1N1 (swine flu)

My son's school sent me a consent form, they are offering vaccinations to all the children there, on the form I was given an NHS direct site for 'further information' but it contain nothing but it's better to have the jab than not, and no information about the mercury content in the jabs or how it might affect autistic children, I Know I am in a minority usually (!) but I feel the triple MMR did it for my son, and worried he may suffer adverse reactions to the H1N1 vaccination, I get no decent advice at all from the GP, don't worry it's OK it's been widely tested, I said it has been tested on 5,000 people according to the NHS site, and a percentage did have reactions to it, and the BMA said 40% of nurses in the NHS refused the vaccine because they did not consider 5,000 a comprehensive test base for the vaccine, considering further research in America had drawn doubts that autistics should have this immunization if they have had reactions before to vaccines, (Which I believe my son did, but medical professions ignore). I am in a real quandary as to consenting the jab. If he gets worse I will blame myself, if he catches flu equally so, as my area is saying swine flu is decreasing and wasn't anywhere near as bad as was made out, I am in no better position as to consent or not. Swine flu affected people with underlying conditions, my son is healthy and as most are aware has no underlying condition, is in the 'safety' zone at 14 yrs...should we ride it out ? refuse the jab ? I feel not a single NHS GP or advice area will advize me not to, or discuss possible autistic links or neurological dangers. So where will I get the information I need ?

Hi

I obviousley won't get into a debate about whether the MMR jab is linked to autism or not,but I really dont think that this particular jab will make your son "worse" as far as autism is concerned.

I think it is a choice you would have to make and I know someone else on here was also deciding on whether to get her kids jabbed and did it the end,hopefully that very person can give you more advice.

I have a heart murmur and asthmatic.My eldest is "officially" asthmatic and my other four have "probable" asthma.I have not had the jab, my kids have not had the jab and really don't think any of us will do so.Saying that if the flu crisis becomes more serious and kids are at serious risk of getting ill then I may consider it.In 2003 both my eldest (3 years at the time) and Sam (3months at the time) got flu virus they both were in hospital for 3weeks with temperatures of approx.43 and had breathing problems.Sam could have died.So if I had the option to get a jab then I would have done so,especially as three kids had died from same virus in our county alone.

I've had it & so has DH. The kids haven't as they have no underlying health problems (AS doesn't really count!), but if they do expand it out, I would not have a problem with them having the vacc. Given the choice I would prefer my kids not to be ill - it's horrible to watch, and exhausting to care for LOL. especially the AS one!

Even DH - who reacts to EVERYTHING! didn't have any reaction to the vacc other than a really sore arm for a couple of days. Although the original tests were on a small no of people, they have now vacc'd several million here & abroad. All the NHS workers I know (And I know a fair few with friends & family members working accross four separate PCTs) had the vacc. - where did your 40% figure come from?

I've had it & so has DH. The kids haven't as they have no underlying health problems (AS doesn't really count!), but if they do expand it out, I would not have a problem with them having the vacc. Given the choice I would prefer my kids not to be ill - it's horrible to watch, and exhausting to care for LOL. especially the AS one!

Even DH - who reacts to EVERYTHING! didn't have any reaction to the vacc other than a really sore arm for a couple of days. Although the original tests were on a small no of people, they have now vacc'd several million here & abroad. All the NHS workers I know (And I know a fair few with friends & family members working accross four separate PCTs) had the vacc. - where did your 40% figure come from?

]

The 40% figure came via our local (Welsh newspaper), the BMA was arguing with NHS nurses they had to show a united front or like MMR there could be negative feedback that could cost lives. Me and Mum were heavy into it tonight neither of us basically want the vaccination done, we opted for MMR and look what happened is our view. we are really really worried he will react adversely to it. Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice I had every vaccination going regardless, now I am none too sure about anything they say in the medical profession. The NHS direct website is total pants it isn't an advice site it just tells you what may happen if you DON'T vaccinate, with no explanations about side effects for different people much. Let's face it they are totally dedicated to vaccinate everyone, they aren't going to tell you if there are problems with it, I am not looking for the problems, but I need reassurance, I am not getting it.

DD1/AS refused to even consider having the jab so she has not had it.

DH had it early on - back in October as he works in health and was off work for 3 days after and sick for a couple of weeks with a type of chronic fatigue syndrome and severe joint pains etc.

DD2 NT asthma was trongly recommended to have the jab - she was also sick for several weeks and ended up having to go with hospital with breathing/asthma problems - she's since recovered but I have since read that the vaccination can sometime worsen asthma in the short term because of the flu like symptoms

So far I have chickened out - I am in a risk group but on the other hand have a history of bad reactions tp medicine and vaccine

Mum decided to agree to the jab yesterday, today tore up the consent form, we still are not sure... I'm anti it, but I would have gone with what Mum wanted. His 'family support' worker phoned us and said they couldn't help our son this week because he was down with the flu... and he HAD the jab. The other support worker we have refused the jab she is fine, so we are stilll not at all confident on the H1NI vaccination at all... It's down to information really, nobody really trusts the BMA or NHS direct to tell you of any risk. Once you know a risk you can gamble on it... and all vaccinations are a gamble. Maybe safe money for most, but not for all...

Edited by MelowMeldrew

My son has had swine flu and he was extreamly ill with it ive never seen anyone as ill in my life......he was boiling hot,couldnt eat,couldnt drink,was drowsey it was a nightmare...........another child at his school also had swine flu and ended up being hospotalized.........swine flu isnt nice at all.If you get the cance to have youre child vacinated against it then id have it done...........my son is a great big strapping six foot 1 healthy lad who has aspergers syndrome only with nothing else wrong with him and yet it almost wiped him out.........if youre child has other health issues then i dread to think what swine flue could do to them.............Just my opinion but id have it done.

Mum decided to agree to the jab yesterday, today tore up the consent form, we still are not sure... I'm anti it, but I would have gone with what Mum wanted. His 'family support' worker phoned us and said they couldn't help our son this week because he was down with the flu... and he HAD the jab. The other support worker we have refused the jab she is fine, so we are stilll not at all confident on the H1NI vaccination at all... It's down to information really, nobody really trusts the BMA or NHS direct to tell you of any risk. Once you know a risk you can gamble on it... and all vaccinations are a gamble. Maybe safe money for most, but not for all...

The swine flu vaccination is only effective against swine flu.So it is still possible to have the usual strain of winter flu after having the swine flu vaccine.People in at risk groups should be offered both swine flu and ordinary winter flu vaccine.The other thing worth bearing in mind is that most members of the public use the term flu to cover everything from a heavy cold to any viral illness that involves a runny nose or cough.So the family support worker could have anything from a cold to flu.

Edited by Karen A

I had the swine flu jab and so has my 8 year old who has autism and asthma.We had no reactions at all apart from a bit of a sore arm. I wasn't sure either to let him have it but he gets so poorly when he is ill and I am glad now that I did have it done for him.

No way are we having it, and recent declarations it was all over-hyped along with nurses rejecting it themselves has convinced me I am right. The deaths that occurred were due to underlying conditions no-one saw, you cannot protect against that. Even in Mexico the statistics did not bear out an lethal epidemic...