Tez

Hi - Reintroducing myself after many years

Hi Everyone,

It's been some years since I've visited this forum and so many things have happened in the meantime. I found everyone's help invaluable just after my son's diagnosis and whilst I took a route few others go down for his education, it was the advice on this forum that helped give me the confidence that I was the expert who knew what was best for him, not the system. Some years down the road, he's a much happier and secure person than the boy who had a complete break down at 13.

I've had an appointment myself today and the Consultant thinks that I may be on the spectrum. No surprise there to me... I already know, but she wants to see me again in a month's time before she makes any official diagnosis. Seems strange that at the age of 50 I might eventually have a formal diagnosis and at a time when I'm probably coping better than I ever have in my life.

Edited by Tez

Hi Tez :D

Welcome back - good to see you again! >:D<<'> I remember your posts about your son's struggles when my daughter was going through similar. It's great to hear that things are going better for him now.

As for you - it sounds as though a whole new journey is beginning! Let us know how it goes.

K x

Welcome back Tez!!

I remember you because my son had a breakdown around the same time. He's doing very well now too :)

AND, I ended up with my own dx of AS in 2007 by Simon Baron-Cohen's team in Cambridge!! :lol:

Lovely to have you back :D

Bid >:D<<'>

Thanks Both. Bid, I remember that you were just starting out on the road to dx when I stopped visiting the forum. Hope having the dx has helped you. Glad to hear that things have improved for your son.

Kathryn, I hope things are better for your daughter too. We're about to enter a whole new stage with my son as he's now 18 and things haven't improved sufficiently yet for him to cope in a regular educational environment or even a work place.

As for me. The day the Educational Welfare Officer told me to read up about Asperger's as she thought it might answer my questions about my son - was the day I realised I was on the spectrum.I 've never really felt the need for an official dx, but as I've always had problems with anxiety, maybe a proper label will help. Ironically I didn't see the Consultant with a view to getting an dx for Aspergers, I'm sure if I'd try to seek a dx I would have found it practically impossible to get.

Hi Tez -

Remember you a little, but i think many of your posts were in education which was a section I only visited occassionally.

Glad to hear that your son is doing well, and very best with your own 'investigations'.

Welcome back :thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

Welcome back to the forum! There are not may still here from the really early days.

I think many of us parents, whether we choose to seek a diagnosis or not, have learned a lot about ourselves as well as about our children!

I am really glad to see things are going so well for you!

Simon

Edited by mossgrove
correct typos