julieann123

Adult Female AS

Hi everyone

I am a 38 year-old woman who, after 20 or so years of diagnoses ranging from depression to Post-Traumatic Stress, am finally waiting to see a Consultant Psychiatrist who agrees I probably have AS. This only came about after I began having Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for a bereavement! To be honest its a relief after all these years, I feel as though I am on a bit of a journey and its amazing to realise after 38 years that maybe I'm not mad, rude, stuck-up, etc etc.

I'd be interested to hear the views/experiences of other women who were diagnosed during adulthood, esp in the Kent area.

:)

Hi Julieann, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS 3 years ago, aged 25.

When you've lived so long not understanding why things are so hard, it's common to develop mental health problems, so you may find that not all your diagnoses have been incorrect. However, the diagnosis can bring some understanding which can help and also help you get appropriate treatment.

i'm 20 years old i have AS anxiety and depression i had 2 beverments within space of 6 months last year both nans i was close to so understand personally why you had to have CBT! i had it before for negative thinking ( depression) but didn't really work for me what helped you with your bevearment???

glad you being referred for an official assessment and diagnosis

good luck fingers crossed for you!!!

XKLX

Hi Julieann - not one of those 'wimmin' things so not really qualified to reply on any level apeart from living in Kent!

Anyhoo - welcome to the forum...

In no way any sort of comment on you or your post, but just playing devil's advocate I'll point out that being autistic doesn't actually preclude the possibilities of madness, rudeness or stuckupednessness :lol:

Hope the consultation goes well.

L&P

BD :D

i'm 20 years old i have AS anxiety and depression i had 2 beverments within space of 6 months last year both nans i was close to so understand personally why you had to have CBT! i had it before for negative thinking ( depression) but didn't really work for me what helped you with your bevearment???

glad you being referred for an official assessment and diagnosis

good luck fingers crossed for you!!!

XKLX

Hi - It took me two years (!) to get the CBT finally started. I'd had two bereavements as well, these were three days apart, which was a nightmare (my sister, 37, and my older son's father). To be honest I think I'd already done a lot of thinking and crying etc during those 2 years, but I have to say the CBT really helped me to let a lot of stuff go that I didn't know I still had inside. But the CBT shifted quite early on to family dynamics and coping strategies, etc, which is how I've ended up being referred for this possible AS. I also talked and talked and talked about it, probably until I bored people, but if it helps then do it.

I think you most importantly need to have the right therapist - I have left therapy so many times over the years because I just hated the people I was seeing (I am hideously intolerant of people in general and quite antisocial), but with this counsellor its really working out.

Keep plugging away and bugging doctors until you get the right person, and good luck. Let me know how you are getting on :)

Hi Julieann - not one of those 'wimmin' things so not really qualified to reply on any level apeart from living in Kent!

In no way any sort of comment on you or your post, but just playing devil's advocate I'll point out that being autistic doesn't actually preclude the possibilities of madness, rudeness or stuckupednessness :lol:

L&P

Ha! I have learned to quite enjoy the madness, rudeness, stuckupedness! You've got to have some pleasures in life after all :)

Ha! I have learned to quite enjoy the madness, rudeness, stuckupedness! You've got to have some pleasures in life after all :)

Good on you... :lol:

But don't blame it all on autism, 'cos you'll give the others a bad name!

L&P

Good on you... :lol:

But don't blame it all on autism, 'cos you'll give the others a bad name!

L&P

Oh no I think that might just be me - I just happen to have come from a family of rude, abrupt Londoners :)

Hi,

I sort of found AS via the internet, then had a eureka! moment. I spent over a yr trying to deciede wether or not to get diagnosed. Sat on the fence for a while. Then i just thought, I have to know on way or the other. And now 14 months later, I'm still coming to terms with having AS and i'm a 50 yr old bloke. I dont quite know what else to say

capt slog

welcome to the forum :)

I was diagnosed last year aged 32, so i know what you're going through! i put my mental moments down to being a daft scot haha

L&P

No it just means it's rarely intentional. After a few years of my behaviour being blamed on being naughty i was finally given a name for the way i was feeling. Even better there were others who had the same struggles with aspergers as me.