Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Almost a year at new school

Hi I just want to share how great of a year ds has had since we changed schools. as many of you will probably remember ds was a mess at old school bitting himself poking his eyes and generally distressed also educational needs not being met at all!

Well it is almost exactly a year since he started at his new school that have taken his needs and his statement very seriously.

Since starting there he has gone on school trips, joined in and even enjoyed school play! and been totally included in all aspects of school life. He is a different boy that is proud to be at his school! the staff are wonderfull and a real example that inclusion can work! He has also been encouraged with the things he can do and became a "free" reader last week school seem as proud and excited by his acheivements as I am.

It goes to show that maybe when you are in an endless fight with school like I was ,sometimes it works to give in and move schools!

xxxx

Hi I just want to share how great of a year ds has had since we changed schools. as many of you will probably remember ds was a mess at old school bitting himself poking his eyes and generally distressed also educational needs not being met at all!

Well it is almost exactly a year since he started at his new school that have taken his needs and his statement very seriously.

Since starting there he has gone on school trips, joined in and even enjoyed school play! and been totally included in all aspects of school life. He is a different boy that is proud to be at his school! the staff are wonderfull and a real example that inclusion can work! He has also been encouraged with the things he can do and became a "free" reader last week school seem as proud and excited by his acheivements as I am.

It goes to show that maybe when you are in an endless fight with school like I was ,sometimes it works to give in and move schools!

xxxx

I glad its all worked out, I do understand your decision to move schools as we too did this, but it just leaves me bitter and angry knowing that there is some schools out there even though thier ofsted reports may suggest that the school meets those with special needs, when you know full well they dont otherwise you wouldnt of moved them, I hate having to give in because the school gets away with it, but sometimes there is no other way forward so we move them, but its great when you do get a school where they do everything they can to support them, its clear you are very happy, and proud, which is down to all of you, school, your son and you.

Lets hope for a positive 2010

JsMumxxx

Fantastic to hear things are still going well. :thumbs: It's good to know that there are mainstream schools which can get it right. We usually hear of the opposite kind.

What's the secret of this school's success, do you think?

K x

Fantastic to hear things are still going well. :thumbs: It's good to know that there are mainstream schools which can get it right. We usually hear of the opposite kind.

What's the secret of this school's success, do you think?

K x

I think the key has been communication! they make sure ds (and all the other children) know what is going on, they let them know about any changes that will happen. A visual timetable is in place for all the infants and ds noes not feel different. But mostly I think they "get it" they seem to understand the little things that ds finds hard and work round them :thumbs:

I glad its all worked out, I do understand your decision to move schools as we too did this, but it just leaves me bitter and angry knowing that there is some schools out there even though thier ofsted reports may suggest that the school meets those with special needs, when you know full well they dont otherwise you wouldnt of moved them, I hate having to give in because the school gets away with it, but sometimes there is no other way forward so we move them, but its great when you do get a school where they do everything they can to support them, its clear you are very happy, and proud, which is down to all of you, school, your son and you.

Lets hope for a positive 2010

JsMumxxx

I totally agree with you! it is disgusting that schools get away with bad practice and we as parents end up moving our children and the school just continues to let down children with special needs, what I find worrying is if they are ignoring the needs of statemented children what hope is there for those children with additional needs that are not statemented and who should be recieving SA or SA+ also what about those parents for whatever reason are unable to move their children? I still think about making an official complaint about the old school, but I voted with my feet and removed my child and sadly I have to fight my own fight. I am aware that the old school is STILL letting children down but I nearly had a break down fighting for my son, I feel weak that I havent blown the whistle as it were on the school, but am also aware that I cant do it all! I did make sure the LA understood exactly why he was removed. But like you say these schools often have ofsted reports that look like sen is catered for!

Thank you for you comment that ds sucsess is down to school, me and ds which I 100% agree with, it has to be a combined effort with everyone putting in the work for the child to be happy and sucure and being the best they can be, but I think that is true of all our children asd or not xxxx

I totally agree with you! it is disgusting that schools get away with bad practice and we as parents end up moving our children and the school just continues to let down children with special needs, what I find worrying is if they are ignoring the needs of statemented children what hope is there for those children with additional needs that are not statemented and who should be recieving SA or SA+ also what about those parents for whatever reason are unable to move their children? I still think about making an official complaint about the old school, but I voted with my feet and removed my child and sadly I have to fight my own fight. I am aware that the old school is STILL letting children down but I nearly had a break down fighting for my son, I feel weak that I havent blown the whistle as it were on the school, but am also aware that I cant do it all! I did make sure the LA understood exactly why he was removed. But like you say these schools often have ofsted reports that look like sen is catered for!

Thank you for you comment that ds sucsess is down to school, me and ds which I 100% agree with, it has to be a combined effort with everyone putting in the work for the child to be happy and sucure and being the best they can be, but I think that is true of all our children asd or not xxxx

Dont worry too much of blowing the whistle, its all down to the system anyway, I did file complaints and even though it went as far as the chair of govenors it was still all swept under the carpet and denial that the school could act in such a way, the lies where the worst thing because the Headteacher tried to suggest J wasnt even on the SEN register, which he was, but I think looking back I should of reserved my energies on ensuring that Js next school was going to be better which I did do but it left a massive barrier and It took a long time for me to trust the new Headteacher and it took even longer for J to recover from such a traumatic experience from his form tutor so J and I were on tender hooks in his new school, he stayed there until the end of year 6 and the school did everything to help J and more importantly the Headteacher always gave me time, understanding and support., that Headteacher has left now.

JsMumxxx

thats fantastic news, im very pleased for you both. what area is your sons school in? dont think your allowed to name the school but maybe the area would be ok? anyway that really is great news