Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

How long would you keep your child off?

Glen has had a cold virus, after 2 weeks of Glen being at home I had thought that he would be back to School next week especially as he has only had a cold virus as apposed to a flu virus. The doctor came out last Tuesday and thoroughly examined him and found nothing un-toward so no anti-biotics could be given he just said it is a cold virus that can take up to 2 weeks to go. The 2 weeks is now up so what am I to do what would you do? I took him to a special needs club this morning, Glen had been there 30 minutes and they rung me to say Glen seemed unwell and was continually asking for 'Mum', so I went and collected him. This club Glen normally loves, so I was hoping that he would be ok but it wasn't to be.

I'm probably the least qualified person to comment here as I don't have any kids, so feel free to ignore what I say :)

2 weeks seems like a very long time to be off work. Don't know how old he is but he is surely missing a lot of important work? I'd say a week off school is more than enough time unless they are very ill. Most illnesses lose their contagious qualities after a few days so I wouldn't worry about that. More importantly he will get used to being at home and being around you and the longer it goes on the harder it will be to get him to go back. Kids learn quickly to get something they like by faking or exaggerating things (I know cos I used to do it sometimes) so if the doctor says he's better and he doesn't seem very ill then I'd make him go back.

when a boy is unwell, who do they want, thier MUM, (or DAD ) I would say that if he has even rejected a social, fun, activity then he must be still unwell, so keep him off for a couple of days, ring school and discuss this with them too, school could well do the same, you could send glen, for the school then to ring you, so Im sure the school will want Glen to be well when he returns to school, the GP may need to see him again, especially as you say he isnt well again.

JsMumxxx

I'm probably the least qualified person to comment here as I don't have any kids, so feel free to ignore what I say :)

2 weeks seems like a very long time to be off work. Don't know how old he is but he is surely missing a lot of important work? I'd say a week off school is more than enough time unless they are very ill. Most illnesses lose their contagious qualities after a few days so I wouldn't worry about that. More importantly he will get used to being at home and being around you and the longer it goes on the harder it will be to get him to go back. Kids learn quickly to get something they like by faking or exaggerating things (I know cos I used to do it sometimes) so if the doctor says he's better and he doesn't seem very ill then I'd make him go back.

I agree with meethoss.He may be "milking it" a bit.I know how hard it is have had to force Sam to go to school when he has a cold,the most I give him is two days off and he is 6.I just know if its longer than that he will be very reluctant to go back.Even with swine flu people are only contegious for 3-5 days. Obviousley its not just about being contegious though its about how he feels if he is going to be disruptive,uncomfortable etc. at school then its best to keep him home.

I do think two weeks is plenty for a cold.I think send him back and discuss with the school,so they dont call you every minute to come fetch him,the more he stays at school the better he will get,being indoors for two week is definatle not healthy!Prehaps if he is really not coping then collect him at lunch time but take him back the next day.

I am sure you know him best,do you think he still that ill?Prehaps after school on Monday you can visit the GP again?

Thanks so much for all the replies. It isn't easy to make the right decision I did think that Glen would be ok at his club today, somehow he loves going so thats what made me think that he still isn't feeling well.

Thanks so much for all the replies. It isn't easy to make the right decision I did think that Glen would be ok at his club today, somehow he loves going so thats what made me think that he still isn't feeling well.

Hi JeanneA

sorry you son is not feeling good. If it was me I would go with my 'Mum' feelings :rolleyes: . If he needs a bit more time another few days or week off school isn't going to hurt :)

He could still be fealing ill even after 2 weeks.

me and my husband got a cold just before christmas and even though we went to the gps and was told we didnt need anti biotics or anything we have only just this weeks started to fee better.My husband was so unwell he had almost 3 weeks of work........part of theat time was the xmas holidays then he went back to work and after 2 days had to go on sick due to fealing terrible.I found that although my cold symptoms had gone i was left feelin utterly drained and couldnt do anything without fealing id run a marathan.Virus can take ages to get out of youre system.he may not be fakeing it.

Hi thanks Paula, I realise it can take a while to feel ok again and it is a difficult decision to make I think though Glen has got used to being at home with me, he has never liked School so there's so surprises that he wouldn't want to go. I did however think he would have been ok at his club on Saturday somewhere he loves going to but sadly not to be. Hubby and I have decided that Wednesday would be a good day to send him back to School it would mean a short week and also hubby is going to take him which is a good idea. I am going to ring the School tomorrow and speak to the teacher and explain the situation.

Hi meethos yes I think so, Glen has to go back sometime I just have a feeling its not going to be great though. Glen has become aggressive again today, hitting his own head. I am just glad hubby is here in case Glen were to hit out at me again.

How long do you keep a child off school?

Responding to that in a very simple way, My rule of thumb has always been if you fit enough to get out of bed and play then your fit enough to go to school. Not always as easy as that I know.

Or to turn it on its head, If your not fit enough to go to school then you will have to spend the day in bed with the curtains closed just resting.(No telly, no games, maybe the radio/CD). You would be surprised at the number of miraculous recovery's there have been when using this system.

To get back to the original question, a week is usually long enough for a cold, two weeks is more than enough time of school if there are no other complications.

I know I hard, but I don't think our youngest has been off school with colds, more than a hand full of days in total, he just gets on with it.

Edited by chris54

Thanks Chris, but all kids are different. Glen is severely autistic, with severe learning and behavioural difficulties. He is not able to tell you how he feels therefore its a 'guessing game' to be honest. I don't want to keep Glen at home unnecessarily but I also don't want to send him back too soon only for the school to ring me to come and collect him because he still isn't well! Some children particularly those with special needs can take a long time to get better.

Jeanne, the kids I work with sound quite similar to your DS and I know they seem to have quite compromised immune systems so can go down hill quite rapidly. It can also be extremely difficult to work out how they are feeling. The other week one of our lads sat on the ground for 2 hours and wouldn't move, and it was only by that evening when he came down with a raging temp. that we realised he was sickening for something.

Once when one of mine was little she had laryngytis which knocked her for six. Her primary school let her come in just for the morning for the first few days back because she was just so tired. Don't know if this might help, or if it would confuse Glen even more.

Don't envy you at all, and hang in there >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Just to say it took my 15 y/o about 3 weeks to be over what we think was swine flu. It was a very slow recovery and we did have one day back at school followed by the rest of the week at home. You are not alone!

Thanks bid and jaded. Yes it is surprising how long it takes sometimes for kids to get over things, it is nice to know we are not alone! It has made me feel better about my decision to keep Glen here until Wednesday just hope he will be ok then.

I kept him home as long as necessary with a cold bug before christmas,he woke up one morning and said he had a sore throat, :sick: so i said ok,you can have a sickie stay in bed and he did and was attended to :wub: with calpol and drink and suitable food he could eat, each day,how are you, i am feeling better cough!cough! :wub: but he was not quite right,so he stayed home to Friday, i thought it would be better to use the weekend to get better,then i made sure he could cope with school and went back on Monday, i try to get him to know when he can cope,so that he does not use sickies to avoid something at school.as we know they can easily do that.Basically use your instincts and on how well you know them personnally to decide if its right to stay home or go to school.