Sign in to follow this  
loulou

strattera vs concerta for ADHD/AS

Hello,

My son (6) has been on Ritalin for his ADHD for 6 months, but for the last three weeks i've not given it to him, as he's been really down. He's been pretty hyper and reckless since being off it, but not so moody/down.

Yesterday, he was diagnosed with ASD. The Paed said that the ASD was more of a problem for him, but that his ADHD should still be treated.

She said that Ritalin can cause mood swings, especially as it wears off. This can be a huge problem for ASD kids.

She's recommended trying Concerta (18mgs), the slow release type of ritalin for three weeks, and if he gets the same side effects, go onto Strattera (which apparently is expensive).

I've read another thread saying that Strattera is better for ADHD/AS, which is what the paed said. She said it helps with anxiety.

Does anyone have any experience of using either Concerta or Strattera for children with ADHD and AS as opposed to Ritalin?

Many thanks,

Loulou x

My Sam was on Equasym (like ritalin) but changed to Concerta XL 36mg in March and this has suited him (and us) much better. He used to have 20mg of Equasym at 8am and another at midday. We were finding that we just couldn't cope in the mornings before his medication and couldn't get ready for school without major problems. Also his behaviour in the evenings was becoming worse and he couldn't get to sleep.

Since starting the Concerta, things have been much better. He takes it when he first wakes up, usually about 7am and it lasts about 10 to 12 hours, which sees him through to bed time. The mornings are so much calmer now (although I hadn't realised just how much until he forgot to take his tablet last week and I couldn't work out why we were having such a bad morning - luckily realised before we left for school!!) He is also sleeping much better now as well. Sam is also really pleased with the fact that he no longer needs to have medication at school now.

As the tablet is slow release the effects are more regulated, theres no massive boost initally to be followed by a quick drop as its wearing off. Its much more gradual and works really well for Sam.

Hope this helps, good luck

Kazz x

Hi loulou -

I was all set to give Strattera a go a while back when I read of occassional side effects with liver function... being the 'belt and braces' sort of person i am, i opted to get some blood tests done before starting on it, to confirm there was no existing problem that might be exacerbated. Law of sod - blood tests revealed Ben has anaemia! Initially, I planned to address the anaemia and then give Strattera a go, but my GP advised against it after she received further notification from the manufacturer about liver related side effects.Probably totally irrelevant in your case, but worth checking out given that there is a higher incidence of things like iron deficiency/ anaemia in ASD kids generally.

The reason i was going to try Strattera was because it is not a 'controlled' drug, so I thought it might be a 'soft' option. I've avoided Ritalin etc because I think where ADHD is a co-morbid there's a bit of a 'push-me-pull-you' effect going on, and i've never felt entirely confident that a gain on the swings (as it were) wouldn't mean a loss on the roundabout. Whichever way you go, i hope it does the business.

Very best

BD :D