Sign in to follow this  
big mamma

Autism Research Unit

Hi All,

Has anyone had a urine test done at Sunderland for reaction casein and gluten and the results come back negative ?

I'm just wondering if everyone has some kind of intolerance and would the smallest reactions come up in a urinary sample ?

Thinking of going down this route myself as the doctor isn't very supportive.

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers !

Hi Big Mamma -

Ben came back positive for gluten and 'inconclusive' for dairy... Funnily enough, it was the 'inconclusive' dairy that was impacting most dramatically on his 'health' (severe constipation and vomiting), while gluten only seems to effect behaviour in his case.

I know two other parents who's kids results were mixed - 1 with no 'peaks' the other only gluten intolerant. I think (if memory serves correctly) that around 80% of people with ASD's are likely to show peaks, against around 20% in the general population, so depending on how many kids you know it can look a bit one sided!

The peaks indicate that diet is more likely to be helpful, but it's by no means a certainty.

Hope that's helpful

BD :D

Thanks Baddad,

Thanks for that. I'm still trying to obtain a urine sample from Junior for doctor who wants to check if she has an underlying UTI as she has had 4 sets of high fever/vomiting/shaky leg episodes over last 6 weeks which seem to come out of nowhere. However she can go up to 5 hours without having a wee ( is this usual ? ) and I've never caught her in the act yet.

There's just something not right that I can't put my finger on - her behaviour over the last 2 weeks has been borderline manic - much worse than usual with the smallest thing triggering off a complete breakdown.

Have her 6 month appt with paed next month so will try and discuss urinary testing with her.

Onwards and upwards !

Matthews tests were yes to gluten and no to dairy. However dairy actually give Matthew more problems.

However Matthew also has something called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome which he has had from being around 4 years old. The symptoms you descrive are all his. We have since found out that there is quite a link to ASD.

Here is a link to a site you may find useful? We had all of the usual test with Matthew, including water infection all were negative. it always began with a low grade fever, feeling shakey, not just his legs and then vomiting.

Just thought I would mention this.

Carole

I have found that it's worth phoning Sunderland when you get test results. If you're lucky you get Paul Shattock and he will tell you more than what they can put on the formal results.

My GP/Paed were unsupportive at first but now acknowledge what a difference it has made and generally encourage parents to try.

Jaded