Sign in to follow this  
jimssmom

BITING!

Hi everyone

Went to pick up my son whos 3 from nursery today. His TA told me he tried to bite a fellow pupil today and has tried to bite her in the past.

This is SOO unlike my son as he is a very passive boy, gets himself frustrated when you try and get him to do something he doesn't want to do, but other than that he's never been aggressive.

Has anyone else come across this? He's been at nursery since September and this is the first i've heard of it!

Any suggestions what i can do?

Hi everyone

Went to pick up my son whos 3 from nursery today. His TA told me he tried to bite a fellow pupil today and has tried to bite her in the past.

This is SOO unlike my son as he is a very passive boy, gets himself frustrated when you try and get him to do something he doesn't want to do, but other than that he's never been aggressive.

Has anyone else come across this? He's been at nursery since September and this is the first i've heard of it!

Any suggestions what i can do?

Well my Sam was also very quiet never got iin any ones way at pre school and when kids took toys from him he never complained.Then when he started full time education(5),he started being aggressive,recently he has been excluded twice.He had'nt bitten anyone until two months ago,so dont know specifically what to suggest,other than to have a good talking to him.My son needs to be told a few times about how what he has done is wrong,so you may repeat it three or even five times,but I do think it wil sink in.

He is quite young,my eldest NT bit someone when he was three,he never did it again cause I took him to the shop and brought dog biscuits,and said thats what he will eat if he bites again.My mother did the same with me,I would bite everyone and anyone between the age of 2 right until the age of six.

Edited by justine1

Thanks for that.

It's just so suprising when they told me this, as he is so passive. I will do as you so kindly suggested.

Thanks for the reply! Lets hope for a bite free zone x

Has your wee one been bit at nursery by another toddler?

My son never ever bit anyone until a boy one day bit him, he realised it hurt, after that my son went on a biting spree, so for us it wasnt until it happened to him, that he started to do it.

Check that your son hasnt been bit first.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Although people tend to react with horror when a child bites, in my opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean they are turning into some kind of wild beast, which I think is the underlying fear. Like any other form of aggression though, it needs to be dealt with firmly with an eye on reducing what may be triggering it in the first place.

My daughter bit someone once. She was in year 6 and stressed most of the time, (no support, no diagnosis) and often on the receiving end of low level bullying and on one occasion a vicious assault from a fellow pupil. A few days after the last, a boy in her class put out his arm jokingly to bar her way one day - and she bit it. I was mortified when the head rang and said he would have to tell the parents, because there were teeth marks on this child's arm through his jumper. :o I was especially mortified because I had only the week before written a strongly worded letter saying I hoped the perpetrator of the attack on her would be punished severely. :oops:

She had never shown any physical aggression towards anyone in her life, so we were shocked. When I spoke to her about it she explained that she had panicked when the boy blocked her way and wanted to turn herself into a wild animal to get him out her way (she was obssessed with cats). She didn't need me to tell her that it was completely unacceptable, she had already worked that out for herself,and she never did it again.

I don't know if this helps any, as every situation is different and my daughter at 10 had the maturity to understand that it was wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is - don't panic, just keep working with the nursery, as I'm sure you're doing, to find out what's causing it and to reinforce the message that it's wrong.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thank you for all your replies.

I will look at that website Jsmum. thanks for that.

It's such a shock when someone tells you that tho, it's like they are talking about someone else.

Thanks everyone x

Edited by jimssmom