Ian Jordan

visual processing in ASD presentation

If any help to parents with children with sensory problems, I am giving a presentation in Durham County Hall on Saturday 9.30 - 2.30 on visual processing problems in autism (be there at 9.00) for the County Durham Autism support group.

I restrict my appearances now - but if youy want to get an introduction to this complex subject - this would be a good start.

If you haven't seen me or heard me speak - ask people on the site

hope this helps

I'll be there, finally you are coming to see us! See you in the morning :whistle: I'll be the one running in the door late as something always happens on conference day

Edited by lil_me

If any help to parents with children with sensory problems, I am giving a presentation in Durham County Hall on Saturday 9.30 - 2.30 on visual processing problems in autism (be there at 9.00) for the County Durham Autism support group.

I restrict my appearances now - but if youy want to get an introduction to this complex subject - this would be a good start.

If you haven't seen me or heard me speak - ask people on the site

hope this helps

Hi Ian

Are you likely to be coming down south at all to do any presentations?

I think my youngest may have more sensory probs than we have realised, and I am very interested in the subject.

:notworthy: Just got back, if there is one conference you go to this year make it one Ian Jordan is speaking at. Been waiting 4 years to see you/hear you but wow! Definately opened my eyes......knocked me over and proded my arm too :whistle: but I'll forgive you!

Will be in touch soon to book the boys in :thumbs: and us :rolleyes: as I obviously have more issues than I care to admit to

Thank you for coming to see us

Edited by lil_me

Hi Ian

Are you likely to be coming down south at all to do any presentations?

I think my youngest may have more sensory probs than we have realised, and I am very interested in the subject.

I have nothing planned in ASD parents / professionals in the south this year as I get very few / no invitations from autism societies / professionals in the South. I must admit I am a little surprised - considering how many people seem to want to see me, and considering how spectacular some of my presentations are for parents / profesionals. It was like when I did the TV programme " My family and autism", thousands tried to contact me - yet I did not get a single invite to present at conferences! (I have only spoken in total at about 10 autsim conferences in 10 years - including world level ones- it should have been at least a hundred - and so much good could have been done to hundreds of thousands of children). We actually improve childrens lives in seconds.

Publicising the kind of thing I do is so important for autsim - yet.......

I have to conclude that parents / professionals either aren't interested or don't believe that sensory interventions can have an effect. I sometimes wonder whether I am wasting my time. Sorry to be cynical - but things need to change - and nothing has in this area in 10 years.

There is a limit to how much I can help - but I look at conferences - the presentations have NOT moved on significantly in ten years. If there is not a paradigm shift then they will not for another 50 - with all the problems in ASD that could be addressed ignored. My contribution is small, but when there is a jigsaw - you need to have all the pieces. And at the moment half of them in the ASD jigsaw are ignored

I have to conclude that parents / professionals either aren't interested or don't believe that sensory interventions can have an effect. I sometimes wonder whether I am wasting my time. Sorry to be cynical - but things need to change - and nothing has in this area in 10 years.

Hi Ian

I think many people don't know about sensory issues and what major problems they can cause. I am only just realising all the sensory issues my 13-year-old has, mainly due to hearing about sensory issues on this forum. They have all seemed like totally separate issues to me in the past because I didn't understand it. I'm sure I'm not the only one not to know about this. The diagnostic process didn't include anything about sensory issues (or anxiety), so I wasn't made aware of it then.

Regards

I doesn't help that sensory issues are not even part of the diagnostic criteria. If they were it would be something parents and professionals were aware of at the outset.

Ian: Do you speak to local NAS groups. Or does it have to be bigger venues? If you do can you PM me with your costs for such a visit and I can present it to our local NAS group.

I do a number of free presentations to charities every year (6). Expenses only - and I don't charge these if I do not have to spend a night away! I have 2 left for this year.

Saturdays are usually not available (except as keynote lectures), but Sundays possible.

I normally want at least 50 people guaranteed (and preferably a lot more), a room that can go to blackout and the room must be quiet.

I can bring PA, radio mics, projector etc for a small cost (to cover costs).

Minimum lecture time 1hr 30 - if you have seen me you'll understand

For keynote lectures etc - PM me

For commercial presentations my costs have to cover loss of business at my practice etc - so costs are substantial - and probably not affordable for a small group. I also work as a consultant for a number of multinationals, expert witness etc

Hi Ian,

I sent you a PM quite a while ago but it says you haven't read it. Did you recieve it?

Kerry

Have just found it - sorry not replied

The condition is related to a reflex response - and treatable by a knowledgeable person. It is not related to drainage, but control of tear production.

send me another pm and i will suggest someone that can help in your area

Sensory issues, like my son has, are being very much considered alongside DX and with post DX care now. They were not with my oldest when he was diagnosed 5 years ago.

Ian Jordan was with us the full day 9-2 in Durham and could have sat listening for much longer :thumbs:

We'll see you on Monday next week Ian :thumbs: not looking forward to the journey but I am sure it'll be well worth it. My 2 have mentioned things lately that I would have have probably dismissed before but make sense ish now ..will mention them all on Monday.. I think my friend is bringing her 2 to see you tomorrow, but they are already happy customers. We had a little boy start at the racing last week who has also been to see you, I've suggested he brings his glasses next time as little tike was struggling and wobbly, small world, oh she said you were brilliant!

See you soon

Edited by lil_me

I have nothing planned in ASD parents / professionals in the south this year as I get very few / no invitations from autism societies / professionals in the South. I must admit I am a little surprised - considering how many people seem to want to see me, and considering how spectacular some of my presentations are for parents / profesionals. It was like when I did the TV programme " My family and autism", thousands tried to contact me - yet I did not get a single invite to present at conferences! (I have only spoken in total at about 10 autsim conferences in 10 years - including world level ones- it should have been at least a hundred - and so much good could have been done to hundreds of thousands of children). We actually improve childrens lives in seconds.

Publicising the kind of thing I do is so important for autsim - yet.......

There is a limit to how much I can help - but I look at conferences - the presentations have NOT moved on significantly in ten years. If there is not a paradigm shift then they will not for another 50 - with all the problems in ASD that could be addressed ignored. My contribution is small, but when there is a jigsaw - you need to have all the pieces. And at the moment half of them in the ASD jigsaw are ignored

This is a very interesting observation. I've recently been in touch with an audiologist who wrote a paper 30 years ago about ear problems in autistic children (auditory and vestibular), who, although he's published other research since, says his hypothesis that many autistic symptoms are caused by inner ear abnormalities, has simply been ignored by the autistic research community. Personally, I think it's because paper after paper and report after report starts by saying "no known auditory or visual abnormalities". Researchers read this as "no auditory or visual abnormalities" and prematurely dismiss what sensory researchers are saying.

Children with autistic characteristics are routinely screened by optometrists and audiologists who aren't even looking for subtle visual and auditory abnormalities (basically if the child can 'see' and can 'hear' reasonably well, why look further?), occupational therapists and speech therapists who think the problems are caused by the cerebellum or the bit of the brain that deals with language, and then, if they are lucky, someone trained in the diagnosis of autism who makes a diagnosis based on the child's behaviour. So the parent comes away (as I did) assuming that their child's eyes and ears are functioning normally, so it must be something more complex that's causing the problem.

I think it often is something more complex - calcium levels are often either too low or too high in autistic children, for example, and calcium is essential to human metabolism - but the eyes and ears are a very important clue to what's going on. IMO it's parents who between them have the pieces of the jigsaw. Researchers need to abandon 'top down' approaches and listen to the data. I'll see if I can get you to the W Midlands, Ian :)

cb