Sign in to follow this  
jimssmom

Taking son to see "potential" school tomorrow (anxious!)

Hi everyone!

Sorry to bother you all.

My son is 3 and in mainstream nursery. The current school have "suggested" J attends another school in the district. It's not a special school or independent school - they claim it's a school with more experience in complex communication and of course, money.I've already been to see this school with a friend and we both think it's ok and that the people seem "clued up" especially when i was saying words like PAP, IEP etc, when his current school struggle to say the word "Autism"

Anyway I'm taking J to see the school tomorrow and very anxious and fingers crossed he likes it. Anyone else get this feeling when they are moving their child from school? An obvious question i know, but i guess i just wanted to share it x

I moved my son when he was in year 2.

That meant separating him from his sister and his school friends.

In his new school meant he is coping much better.

He has made new friends.

He is now going to a local cubs group and is meeting some of his old school friends again.

The hardest thing I found was the lowering of expectations I have had to continually accept as the skill gap between him and his peers has widened. But then he turns round and does something else brilliantly and kind of compensates for his other areas of weakness. Everyone is an individual, but I think our children are more so because of the range of abilities they have.

It is a huge weight off your shoulders to know that your child is having their needs met in school and that you can have a conversation with them and they understand what you are talking about.

You are right - thanks for the reply.

I suppose it's a good thing i'm doing it early so i can make sure his sister goes to the same school

he is lacking academically, but i hope this new school will make him happier.

Thanks again,.

x

I have no idea what the arrangement are in the area you live with regard to the relationship between the preschool(Nursery), and the primary school. It is not uncommon for children to attend a preschool attached to one primary and then go to a different primary.

Who is saying to go to another school?

If you think the other school is the right one then go for it.

It was my sons Educational Psychologist who suggested it.

I guess it came as a bit of a shock because I always thought his current school would support him. 20 mins to go and am taking him!!!!!!

I've been to this school before,and seems much better, but want my sons approval. I know he's only 3, but I will know straight away if he's happy!

hope the vist went well, and the new school is not to far from your home. if it is then perhaps you could get transport or help to pay for youe own transport after all the ED PSY said its a more suitable school.

Hope it went well

I moved my daughter - was really worried about it - but it turned out to be the best move as she liked it straight away and within a few weeks all of her anxiety and stress symptoms has disappeared

Delighted to tell u all that my son loved the school and he has already warmed to some teachers!

I think this is definatly the right move.

Thanks for all ur support xx