shaianne

Hi,new member

Hi,just thought that i would introduce myself. Im a 32yr old single mum,to 2 beautiful girls.I have recently found out that my eldest daughter (15yrs old),has ASD. For many of years i have fought with the system,trying to tell them of my concerns regarding my daughter.She was labelled 'a problem,difficult,child' at school.I would like to get in touch with other parents/carers who have been through similar,as im just trying to get my head around it all,as i was only told today,that she has mild ASD. So any advice given,would be very much appreciated.What support am i entitled to? Am i eligible for some financial support? Etc.Thank you for taking to time to read my post,i will look forward to some feedback...many thanks.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's aged 25, I think my mum could relate to the difficulties you've had getting your daughter's needs recognised!

Diagnosis can be a funny time, and a difficult thing to come to terms with even if you were expecting it.

You may be able to get support through Social Services with caring for your daughter. The assessment process may have flagged up issues that she can get support with in school.

You might be able to find local support/social groups that your daughter can attend. Your other daughter might be able to attend groups like Young Carers. There might also be support groups where you can meet other parents with autistic children.

Your daughter might be entitled to Disability Living Allowance. This is not means tested, and if she's eligible, she will be able to continue to claim even if she gets a good job in the future. If she has care needs at home, or difficulty getting around, you may be able to claim this. It's a horrible form to fill in, but you should be able to get help with that here. The assessment will be useful evidence for backing up your claim.

DLA is key to other benefits you may be entitled to as a family, as it provides evidence that your daughter is disabled. You may be able to claim Carers Allowance and Tax Credits.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

It is hard to fill DLA form (for several different reasons) but you can find an excellent guidance on the Cerebra website as well as NAS website. (National Autistic Society)

My son(10) also has ASD and the money we get from DLA helps us very much. If you get it, the child tax credit also goes up.

This forum is a nice and friendly place. It helped me get out of isolation last year.

Danaxxx

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's aged 25, I think my mum could relate to the difficulties you've had getting your daughter's needs recognised!

Diagnosis can be a funny time, and a difficult thing to come to terms with even if you were expecting it.

You may be able to get support through Social Services with caring for your daughter. The assessment process may have flagged up issues that she can get support with in school.

You might be able to find local support/social groups that your daughter can attend. Your other daughter might be able to attend groups like Young Carers. There might also be support groups where you can meet other parents with autistic children.

Your daughter might be entitled to Disability Living Allowance. This is not means tested, and if she's eligible, she will be able to continue to claim even if she gets a good job in the future. If she has care needs at home, or difficulty getting around, you may be able to claim this. It's a horrible form to fill in, but you should be able to get help with that here. The assessment will be useful evidence for backing up your claim.

DLA is key to other benefits you may be entitled to as a family, as it provides evidence that your daughter is disabled. You may be able to claim Carers Allowance and Tax Credits.

Thanks Dana,much appreciated.Although im not sure if my daughter is going to be statemented,would that make a difference?I have a meeting at her school in a few weeks,with CAMHS who diagnosed her,and Senco. I have dealt with Senco at the school before,and they are not very helpful at all.Seems like they are reluctant to help/support,unless she is statemented.But she only has mild ASD.

Hi shaianne

If she has a ASD then they have to meet that need weather it is mild, moderate, severe, at the end of the day she requires support, if she has had IEPs and targets set and failed to progessed and been on School action and School action plus then you can request the Assessment for a statement.

There is support for educational issues at National Autistic Society, who have a Educational Helpline, they also have a welfare rights support service too who can go throw the DLA application too.

You may then if she is successful on receiving DLA be entitled to Carers allowance depending on your circumstances.

I also recommend Contact A Family who have a helpline too, they also have some brilliant booklets on statmenting, DLA and other welfare issues.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=20381

Both NAS and CAF gave me a lot of great information and support.

Also recommend that you join a local parent support group as they can also help you throw the process of Statementing and DLA too.

Your daughter is also at an age she will need to have a Transition Plan throw your local Council to look at more longer term support into her adulthood, this now begins at 14yrs old.

So do look into any local authority assesments such as A core assessment.

Nice to meet you Ive had a long standing battle trying to get my sons sen needs sorted out too, he turns 13 soon.

Your defo not on your own there.

JsMUMXXX

Edited by JsMum

hi welcome to the forum,i have a daughter just coming up 14 who we think has aspergers,we have had ADI-R assessment done and been told she is above the cut off level,so are now progressing through further assessments,know what you are going through life can be very tough at times but always seems to be lots of info on here.my dd hasnt been to school properly since july 2008 so makes life hard at home ,she is virtualy unable to go out at all because she cant deal with any social situations,

hope you get some support

regards julia

not sure of answer but i am in process of form filling for dla at moment but my daughter doesnt have a statement,and have not found anything on forms that indicates that they must.regards julia

I was wondering if someone could advise me.Does my daughter need to be statemented,in order for me to try and claim DLA?

Hi.

No.Having a Statement can be useful evidence in claiming DLA.

However the two things relate to different government departments .DLA is agreed and funded through central government and is to do with ability to carry out activities in daily life.

A Statement is agreed and funded through local government children's services [education].It is much more to do with learning needs in school.

So it is perfectly possible that a child could need a Statement but not qualify for DLA or possible but less likely that a child could qualify for DLA but not have sufficient SEN to require a Statement.

You can download an application form for DLA from the DWP web site and complete it yourself.There is some excellent guidance on filling in the form on the NAS web site and the NAS has a benefits advice service too.If your child has ASD it helps to know what information to include.

Karen.