Sign in to follow this  
hedders

lea Educational Psychologist

Haven't been on for a while, may need some other parents expriences in answers.

DD is now 9 after a 4 year battle she was referred to Ed Psy in December for adivce on her writing skills, prior to this i spoke to Ed Psy who explained when she observes dd in class she will decide if further imput/assessments would be needed and her next visit would be April this YR.

School was unwilling to send any information about my dd needs, so i sent a huge folder , covering everything that has happened from present date to when she was in reception yr and descriptions all the diffculties we have had over the years of not being listened too and this has lead to our dd falling further behind and now is on alot of intervention programmes which only started last year which dont seem to be working (my thought)

However, last Monday dd came home and said that she was took out of class, a lady asked her some questions, got dd to do phonics and read a dozen pages from her reading book. The lady said she visits children in different schools to help with there learning.

I spoke to a member of Staff who was unsure and said it was probably a student teacher, when i questioned Ed Psy I was informed, No she is not due untill April.

On my answer machine 2 days ago, i have been left a message from Ed Psy who worked with my dd last Monday and wants to have a chat with me.

I haven't been able to get hold of her yet so i will try not to jump the gun.

Is this an assessment ??? Phonic's and Reading didn't even do any Numeracy or Writing

Confused why she gone back into school in such a short period??

And Im starting to worry that she think's im slightly wierd with all my paperwork esp if dd is fine.

i do have a senco who labelled my dd with MLD in November last year.

Do Ed Psy normally phone parents??

Any experiences much welcomed, thanks

This always happens i spoke too soon, managed to get hold of Ed Psy

Found out the school should of informed us about last Monday as they were aware of her visit.

Ed Psy said she worked with dd covering literacy and thought she did very well with her input there are areas which maybe she can see our concerns so a meeting is now booked for March with Senco.

Again i was told you have alot of concerns where the school feel she is progressing and asked what my concerns were.

I explained that over the years we were told over and over again nothing was wrong only to recieve her IEP in November saying she has MLD, no explantion from Senco and i haven't come across Senco's diagnosing LD as its usually Ed Psy she briefly changed the subject and said well you now from the referral letter that dd was only referred to me for different stragies in Literacy.

Told her if some one took time to communcate and explain then i wouldn't feel so annoyed so she will listen to our views in March.

Basically she was very pleased with dd last Monday and said she was very communicative towards her, she visits children alot lower than our dd in NC even though our dd is still on level 1c in all subjects

Edited by hedders

sorry to ask incase you said before what year group is your dd in? It is unusual to vist a child without the parents knowledge and agreement you should talk this through with your school. I always have to sign a permission slip for anyone to see my child. Its a good job your dd agreed to go with the ED PSY without prior telling that this was going to happen. We have a very good relationship with our ED PSY we phone or contact via email she never minds. infact she finds email easier as she can do that from home so it possible to get along with an ED PSY. Anyway good luck with everything, it does sound as though the school are not telling ED PSY everything that you want her to know so phone her up a nd agree a good time to meet or phone again where you both have time to talk everything through.

She is in yr 4, i hand delivered all my dd notes in October and just spoke to her assisant who cant recall a folder being passed onto her.

This would make sense as the ed psy asked what my concerns were this am...?? and sounded suprised when i mentioned mld!!

Even though i have sent a very indepth file, feedback from school is very inaccurate, i have a funny feeling the Senco didn't send the referral form of changes insisted by us and sent the orginal one saying they have no real concerns.

Anyhow the plot thickens and i wish it would stop.

Hubby is very annoyed if the ed psy has assessed dd without the knowledge that Senco has already labelled MLD and didn't notify her, and said he wont be going to a meeting to discuss our concerns as we done this for the last 4 yrs and nothing happens he wants the written report .

I have no proof of hand delieving the file in October as the assissant refused to countersign saying they dont do that.

Now i wish i paid for recorded delievery.

I love to be a fly on the wall, things can't get any worse

Edited by hedders

have you asked for statutory assesement yet ? i dont want to sound glum but how is a level 1c making progress they should be extreemly concerned those grades are vv low for a child in y4. my dd is in y6 and her grades are 2b in everything she is now on a full statement of 25 hours 1-1 plus speech therapist 1 hour a fortnight. You must requst a assesment of her needs to find out what is causing your daughters delay. The school cannot diagnoised MLD but if they feel that is what she has they have a duty to requst a ASSesment of her needs.

I applied in yr 2 for stat assess, got turned down due to the fact primary school didn't send any detailed information, they were still saying nothing was wrong with her.

And two yrs on they still say the same, they wont talk to us we had meetings with the head since she gone to the junior school and they just fob us of.

Im seriously thinking about seeking legal advice and seeing what there thought is.

I can't believe everyong has just messed up including external professionals, Pead said we need to come to terms with the fact our dd has MLD but my thought is, how do they know she has this just because the Senco says who has just taken up this position and has no experience of SEN.

Edited by hedders

Hi

You can request the stat assesment yourself,include what you think is relevant, as proof,from your file.Also speak to the ed physch ask her for a letter,even if she only saw your daughter once she can say what her observations are.Has she not been seen by any medical professional?Even if just the GP you can explain the situation and ask for a letter.Then any reports from school,did she not do SATS in year 2? That should have her grades on.Plus other annual school reports even if no grades,it may have other comments on that may be useful.

Worth a shot.

Edited by justine1

I applied in yr 2 for stat assess, got turned down due to the fact primary school didn't send any detailed information, they were still saying nothing was wrong with her.

And two yrs on they still say the same, they wont talk to us we had meetings with the head since she gone to the junior school and they just fob us of.

Im seriously thinking about seeking legal advice and seeing what there thought is.

I can't believe everyong has just messed up including external professionals, Pead said we need to come to terms with the fact our dd has MLD but my thought is, how do they know she has this just because the Senco says who has just taken up this position and has no experience of SEN.

Hi, been there with the refusal to asses due to the negligence of the school. My Parental request was turned down first time, need 3 IEP's did not have 1 even though kid was on Action Plus. They did not read through the 5 professional reports regarding my sons AS, and Dyspraxia. They then requested the CAF ( common assessment framework) be filled out took a month of hard work from me but made sure that everything was included that was in the reports. Now going through the assessment, going through I mean it goes back to panel beginning of March to decide on the statement as all reports and evidence will be in, all the work had been done prior to the request apart from the Ed Psych. Don't loose hope the school will keep putting you off, but you know your kid better than anyone. It is there job to make things as difficult as possible for you to make you give up. Go to your G.P insist on a referral to CAHMs to see a psychiatrist/Psychologist. Unfortunately the Pead's are not always the most helpful lot. Mine said that my son was too old to see them at 9, idiot! Also get into see a pead O.T to get some assessment fine and gross motor. The more information you can get to support yourself and your request the better chance you have. What can I say about SENCo's well mine was in denial about his disability as he was "Accademic" hate that blasted word did not matter he broke down mentally and physically and we took him out of Mainstream Ed been home educating him since Oct last year.

You can do this do not give up, I know it seems so overwhelming but at the end of the day who will fight for our kids if we don't. Take care.

Hi, been there with the refusal to asses due to the negligence of the school. My Parental request was turned down first time, need 3 IEP's did not have 1 even though kid was on Action Plus. They did not read through the 5 professional reports regarding my sons AS, and Dyspraxia. They then requested the CAF ( common assessment framework) be filled out took a month of hard work from me but made sure that everything was included that was in the reports. Now going through the assessment, going through I mean it goes back to panel beginning of March to decide on the statement as all reports and evidence will be in, all the work had been done prior to the request apart from the Ed Psych. Don't loose hope the school will keep putting you off, but you know your kid better than anyone. It is there job to make things as difficult as possible for you to make you give up. Go to your G.P insist on a referral to CAHMs to see a psychiatrist/Psychologist. Unfortunately the Pead's are not always the most helpful lot. Mine said that my son was too old to see them at 9, idiot! Also get into see a pead O.T to get some assessment fine and gross motor. The more information you can get to support yourself and your request the better chance you have. What can I say about SENCo's well mine was in denial about his disability as he was "Accademic" hate that blasted word did not matter he broke down mentally and physically and we took him out of Mainstream Ed been home educating him since Oct last year.

You can do this do not give up, I know it seems so overwhelming but at the end of the day who will fight for our kids if we don't. Take care.

Hello Katie long time no speak, hope you are ok, i tried to reply to you on here but i was working online with my wii as computer was broken but ok now. Anyway got to see the outreach workers from the local children centre for Zoe as the manager as seen her behaviour quite a few times and she said that isn't right and at the same time i told them about Melissa, they then looked in her file and realised a caf had been started a year ago but nothing done about it, they are now having a word with the area educational psychologist. Melissa has 5 ieps and is about 2yrs behind in her education although yes she is making progress just very slowly so each year she is falling further behind. Although she is better at home than what she was and as calmed down she is still hyper and impulsive. What concerns me, thinking back to how my older son and daughter were i now think it is something genetic like dyspraxia dyslexia as they all show traits and now looking back at me and my sister we were similar, my son is now having bouts of depression is up and down he is now 18 and is still slow at everything he does, he wasn't social in primary school although he did have a couple of friends one who as diagnosis of autism and the other i can't remember but something to do with paranoid and depression he got it later on in high school although his mum knew early on but no one listened. So been on parenting course which did help a little as i didn't do much positive praise and it does work, i was always telling off when naughty but never praised for the good which meant they got the attention for being naughty so as they attention seek they did more naughty than good, so there is method in there madness lol. But parenting courses can't help if there are other problems such as adhd, aspergers dyspraxia and dyslexia so it needs sorting out. Good luck, i feel hundred percent better than where i was last year, although i haven't got a diagnosis i know in my heart they are somewhere on the spectrum and as long as i get help and support for them i aren't bothered. Sharon x