Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

doctors

as some of you might be aware i've had a lot of trouble with my local dotors surgery and have seen every single doctor while trying to get referred for my diagnosis - one of whom flatly denied autism existed and another who told me to go out and make some friends and then i'd be fine. i finally found a GP who listened, referred me (and of course i was positively dx'd) but now she is on maternity leave. this leaves me with the choice of the above two doctors. there are no other doctors surgeries within 10 miles, so i can't transfer to another one and i dont know what to do.

the service at the surgery is pretty rubbish and i need to make an appointment to chase up two referrals that have been promised but not put through as well as a medication review, but there is absolutely no way i am going to see either of those doctors.

does anyone know what i can do? i think i'm pretty justified in my refusal of both of them (the good GP even put in a formal complaint about the making friends comment) but with only a weeks medicine left i dont have a lot of time to work out my options if i even have any.

I didn't want to read and run but I can't really advise you. My GP had the same attitude when it came to my son, the last one I saw there said that I was wasting my time calling or seeing them as they don't deal with mental health problems to which I replied "he hasn't got a mental health problem, he has a neurological condition" which the Autism Outreach people told me after Parent Support at his school felt sorry for us and called in all the relavent people to see DS. I changed Doctors after that because I'd been begging for someone to see DS for 8 years but they just wouldn't have it. It must be hard not being able to change. I really feel for you because with school out of the picture there doesn't seem much support out there for adults.

Could you keep getting a repeat prescription until your usual GP comes back? Or if you were diagnosed by a consultant could you ask them to see you and talk about your meds and prescribe them?

Good luck anyway.

Are the surgery employing a locum doctor to cover the maternity leave of your regular doctor? Do you know if your doctor will be coming back after having her baby?

I can see two options for now if you do need to see one of the two others.

1. Pick the one you feel least uncomfortable with and book an appointment just for your medication review (if you've already been waiting a while for the other referrals they can wait another week or two). Use that appointment to try and begin to build up a relationship with the other doctor. To give you a positive story, when I originally saw the GP who is now my doctor and a fantastic doctor at that, we just couldn't communicate with each other, things really didn't go well, she didn't get me at all and I ended up running out in tears and having a massive meltdown. But, situations (she was the only doctor available when I needed an emergency appt.) meant I had to go back and work on both our parts allowed us to build up a really good relationship where we can communicate really well, so it can be done. She is now my GP and I'm really happy with the way things have worked out.

2. Either email or ask to speak to the practise manager and explain the position you are in and how you feel about it. He/she may be able to select the most appropriate doctor of the two (or you may be able to choose) and speak to them on your behalf and could pave the way for a better relationship to develop. It may also make the practise as a whole more aware of your needs and more open to supporting any difficulties you have.

I do hope you can find a solution. It has made such a huge difference to me knowing that I have a supportive GP who is on my side.