Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

I need the pick me up pill

Hi all, i have been really busy working extra this week, since yesterday i feel so low, i dont know why? its not just a passing bad mood, so ineed a little of the forum tonic, to make me go on. DS got diagoned nearly 18 months ago and i feel that i am not moving forward, think i need to read more about As, I got newer tony attwood and now its got me worried, Ds knows that he is different, i toyed with the idea of tellin him about the condition, i told him just a little, its very difficult to explain to a 7 year old. How are others finding it, sorry guys i have not been on here, but i hope to get some imput. I read that he could develop depression if idont use the right strategies, i dont know where to turn, i will keep reading and hopefully get some answers of what i could do, he does not like cuddles, I tell him i love him but i think its probably not enough.

Parent Support lent me a brilliant book to read to siblings called GWERN. I read it to all of them together inclunding ds who has ASD and it really did a good job. The book has very few words but it summed up DS very very well and I said that if there has been books written about Autism then there must be loads oand loads of people with it otherwise no one would buy them :D

I have told him Autism is very common and that it doesn't meen there is something wrong with him but that he thinks differently sometimes which is why he knows so much about so many things which is brilliant - he loves to read and research cars and facts. He also has ADHD and I'm afraid I told him that if he was to have anything that is probably the coolest thing to have! Probably not very good for me to say but his main aim in life is to be cool and for him having to take meds to calm him down meant that he wouldn't be a mad and crazy boy - which is what his friends liked about him so I had to explain it all in a way that actually made him think he was cool.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. I feel that its best to be honest but tailor it to your child.