Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

Has anyones Child been to a Sleep Clinic?

I am hoping someone will say yes to this question because I have asked for DS to have a medication review (yes I had to ask! :wallbash: ) because his sleep is becoming a problem again. He takes 2mg of menatonin every night which is taking longer and longer to work and now he is not getting to sleep till around midnight again and a bit of sleep talking is creeping back. I am very concerned that soon I will be back to staying up at night to stop him sleepwalking around the house and screeming like a banchie at all hours! Witout the pills he can hardly sleep at all, he also takes concerta xl for ADHD which I think needs upping but that is for another post!

The consultant who prescribed the menatoin said that there may be a risk of it causing infertility with long term use so I would really like to find out why he can't sleep so we can make an informed choice about the long term treatment of this rather than accepting the first thing that is offered.

I have done an internet search and it turns out that our local hospital do sleep clinics - I think it seems strange that it hasn't been sujested to us by the pead before but there you go!

Thanks in advance

Suex

hello, my 2nd dd went to sleep clinic it was good. they could see what the problem was she was having sleep appnoas which would keep waking her up gasping for breath. She had her addonoides removed which almost cured the problem altogether. She is always late getting to sleep amd is a struggle to wake her up in the mornings but she is sleeping better at night once she gets to sleep that is. she also has ADD and i think that is why she finds it hard to relax and drift off to sleep.

HI Julie, thanks for that. DS had his addenoids out when he was 5 (along with grommits in) because he was still drooling a lot and also snoring terribly, didn't help him sleep but did stop him drooling and snoring so not a bad result - 2 out of 3....

Did they put monitors all over your daughter and how did she manage to get to sleep wearing them? We have the same problem, with DS in that he can't switch his brain off and it is still wirring while he is asleep! We used to say that the only reason he slept at all was because his body was so tired even if his brain was still awake!

probably too late, but wanted to suggest that any problems such as sleeping difficulties I would take a written Report so that it can be added into his notes, that way Its clear I have requested spersific support and if the GP wants to ignore it then at least there is evidence that I tried to deal with the matter.

There is sleep clinics in the UK that can take GP referrals, I will try and find out more as I recieved some leaflets from one when I was having problems sleeping, Im a long suffer of Insomnia.

This is my recommendations, NO caffine four or five hours before bed, So defo no Chocolate/Cola exct....

No TV, Computer,Screened monitors for two hours before bed.

A very structured bedtime, Bath, Pjays, Supper and bedtime.

Ive been researching Light lateley and keep meaning to buy a Light box.

Your local Health Visitor may know of any spersific groups/services for Sleeping disorders/difficulties.

I know for sure, Sleep deprivation is a major health concern getting enough sleep helps all the development.

Good Luck with getting some sleep soonxxxx

A link for more advise.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfor...eepingwell.aspx

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/publications/book...0593061381.aspx

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks Jsmum. We saw the consultants dogs body (can't remember what they call them!) yesterday and he was lovely. He is going to ask her and my gp if they will referr DS to the sleep clinc, there is one in Bristol. In the mean time he has doubled his menatonin to 4mg - which is great but I promptly lost the prescription so will need to get another - I had a lot on my mind and was trying to act normal! Hopefully they will give me another script because getting DS's meds is like going underground to get class A drugs here and they may not beleive that I lost the scipt but may think I have sold his Concerta which was also on it!!!!

He sugested that it may be that the concerta is wearing off too soon and he is getting a bit hyper before bed and so that is why the Menatonin is not working very fast - I thought that sounded good. He never has caffine and hates chocolate, only has sweets once a week (hates me for it but has good teeth! :lol: ) god I'm mean!

Anyway we'll see how it goes. Things will probably go haywire now anyway because my DH left me this morning - hey ho! :wallbash: