Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

statement reviews

Hi all,

My friends child is in year 8 and has a statement( not sure how many hours or the content...sorry to be vauge) He is really unhappy at school and they are having lots of problems. He has asd traits on his statement but is currently awaiting a camhs assesment for as.

I think that perhaps his statement needs to be reviewed in terms of the type of support he should/could recieve with regard to the social difficulties he is having as at present I think these have not been specified. Am I right in thinking they as parents can request a review before the annual review? I am sure I have seen this in the cop but cant find it now I am looking.

I am going to have a chat with her later but dont want to give her any info that is not accurate.

Many thanks

the childs school can requst an interim review of youe sons statement but they wont if they cant see any reason, so you will proberly have to prove that the statement is not working as it is written.

The CoP 9:44 talks about interim reviews and that the school can call one if the pupil is disaffected or at risk of exclusion. I don't know if parents can call an interim review. I don't know exactly what the criteria is for asking for one.

Probably the best people to ask would be IPSEA.org or ACE.org or NAS.org

I think parents can ask for a re-assessment as well, which would mean starting from the beginning again.

If an ASD is suspected, and the child is already having problems in school, then the parent can contact the Educational Psychologist direct, or the LEAs SEN department direct. If the school is mainstream, then the parent should also be able to contact the autism advisory teacher (they don't necessarily need a diagnosis to come and see a child).

Parents should also involve the Parent Partnership, who are employed by the LEA, but are there to support parents. It is useful to have them on board as they should know the process as well and can be valuable as note takers and general advice givers.

Is the parent waiting to see someone regarding their child for a diagnosis?

There are also emergency reviews. Again I don't know the criteria for them.

I'm sure others on the forum will post with more specific advice. But the above website helplines will be able to give precise information.

When the Statement is amended it has to itemise EVERY need in section 2 with recommendations specified in section 3 on how that need is going to be met in terms of hours of support and stuffing input eg. who will do what, how often, how often it will be reviewed etc. And suitably qualified and experienced people should be specified.

See also the COP paras 9:1 and 9:3. Legally. reviews must happen at least every 12 months but can happen more frequently than that if circumstances warrant it. The COP says that LEA's have the power to call a review at any time but should aim to secure the agreement of the school and parents first. Parents can request that a review is brought forward but I can't find anything which says that the LEA must agree to such a request. It's obviously better if parents have strong recent independent evidence that circumstances have changed, eg a new diagnosis, sudden deterioration in child's behaviour etc. The guidance on exclusions suggests that an early review should be called if a statemented child has been excluded or is at risk of exclusion.

K x