Tally

Cats causing trouble again

Looks like I have two vet appointments to make in the morning.

My very elderly and unwell cat has been hiding under the bed all weekend and not eating. I don't know what's wrong with him, but he is clearly very unhappy and I don't know what to do with him. I think he might be ready to go now.

My other cat with epilepsy has been really wired all weekend. She has different kinds of seizures with varying degrees of consciousness and looking really frightened, and she has had lots of these since Friday night, including one fit (as far as I know, I don't watch her 24/7). She seems a bit better today, but still really edgy. The vet said that if a brain tumour is the cause, the seizures will get worse, and she has never had them go on for more than a day before, so I am worried that she is on her way out as well.

Oh no Tally, so sorry your going throw this, I have two cats too and would be deverstated if it where mine gowing throw this, some of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> for you, and some of these for your little fellows. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Will be thinking about you >:D<<'>

JsMumxxx

Sorry to hear Tally :( I've got cat problems myself. One of mine got hit by a car on Tuesday and I rushed him to the vet hospital that is luckily not too far down the road. He had surgery on Thursday to repair two holes in his diaphragm and I brought him back yesterday. He was looking pretty good considering, but since he's been home he's not eaten anything. He went to the toilet once last night and when I popped in to check on him about an hour ago he'd wet his bedding.

I let him have a wander about the house and took him to where his food usually is in the hope that he'd feel better and eat something but that didn't work, so I've put him back in the room I'm keeping him. Gonna call the vet tomorrow and see what they say - I think he might need to go back in and go back on a drip and painkillers as I reckon the pain must be getting him down :(

It's not very nice to see him like that, I was already feeling down and now this is just making things worse :(

Sorry to hear about your cat's injury Meethos. I hope they can get hom back on his feet soon.

I have finally worked out that the way to make Mr Cat better is to decide to take him to the vet in the morning, I don't actually have to do it . . . because he seems to be on the mend now! I think it's his ear infection playing up because he's very wobbly on his legs. I gave him some ear drops last night and he is much happier now, eating a bit and feeling a bit more sociable.

Mitzi is booked in for her annual vaccinations next week, so I will ask the vet if there is anything we can do for her then, as she also seems to be back to normal again now.

Panic over, big relief!

Glad they're both feeling better Tally! :)

Stitch is also doing better today. I slept on the floor with him last night in my sleeping bag but then I had to go back to my bed because I was in so much pain from the floor. Let him out this morning and he's been roaming the house all day and that encouraged him to have something to eat. He even jumped out the cat flap before I could stop him so I had to run out and get him then he decided it wasn't worth it again, but I've kept the door to it locked. He's just been conked out on one of the chairs in the living room since :)

Mr Cat took his tablet this evening for the first time in days, I am so pleased :) He is still very wobbly on his feet and falling over a lot, but he is eating again and seems much happier.

Pleased to hear that Stitch is on the mend as well. Maybe he just felt a bit groggy after his operation.

Edited by Tally

Its cat vet week,

My female cat had to go to vet today due to bleeding from her nose and mouth,

Anyway the vet said she is very poorly and her glands are massive, her mouth is all inflamed and bleeding and she said due to the severity she had to give her injections, as she wouldnt pass tablets.

Trying to get needles in my cat is very dangerous she has claws worse than wolverenes,(xMEN)

The vet did amazing though and all my cat did was hissss.

The vet has grounded her, so she is not allowed out either.

In the waiting room there was a cat who had just delivered three kittens who bless them where gasping for air, they where really cute nearly asked if I could take one home or have one where there older but with two cats I knew it was not a good idea, they were cuter than cute though, My cat is back home now curled up on the arm of the sofa.

She has to go back on Wednesday to see if the injections have worked.

JsMumxxx

Any theorys on why cats hiss!

Edited by JsMum

Aww, sorry to hear about that, that sounds terrible! :( Hope she's ok!

Yes kittens are lovely aren't they, so cute! My ex came around earlier to see Stitch and she was showing me videos on her phone of when they were little. I still find them just as cute though :)

Not sure exactly what you mean by your hissing question...do you mean why do they do it? Or why the noise they make is a hiss? If it's the former it's usually because they are trying to frighten enemies away, usually because they are scared or threatened. If the latter then it could be because the sound of a hiss sounds like a snake or something and that would make larger animals more scared?

Hi all

Poor you(s) :(

Have you all come across Simon's Cat? He's on youtube and facebook. They really cute and funny animations. Might cheer you up?

Hope all the cats get better quickly. >:D<<'>

I had to rush Mr Cat to the vet this morning as he can hardly walk on his back legs at all. I wasn't expecting to be bringing him home afterward.

The vet thinks this is probably to do with his ear infection and will just get worse over the next month until it is time to let him go. But at the moment, he can get around (albeit slowly) and doesn't seem to be in pain. He is quite happy and is able to use the toilet. So all in all, the vet is happy for Mr Cat to come home and be pampered for his remaining few weeks.

Hope your cat gets better soon Js Mum! My other cat, Mitzi, once required myself plus two nurses to hold her still for her annual vaccinations!

Meethos is quite right about the hissing, nearly all animals fear snakes, and it's to imitate a snake. A cat curled up with its tail wrapped around itself can also look like a snake from above as well, and may deter birds of prey from having a go while they are resting.

Mr Cat has deteriorated while I was at work today. He is now tripping over whilst sitting still. He seems very unhappy. I think he is ready to go now. I am taking him back to the vet tomorrow to have him put to sleep.

Hi Tally

Sorry to hear about Mr Cat =^.^=, I know from your posts before that he's not been well for a while, you must be looking after him very well.

I have a cat myself called Bob, we love cats also. If you need cheering up anytime, there is a cat on youtube called maru the cat. He is so cute and funny never fails to make me smile.

Take care Teresa

He sat on my lap for a while, purring softly to himself. I left him on the chair and he hasn't moved, I think he is scared to. He is sleeping on my bed tonight. I have food, water and litter tray all within easy reach for him, and a little step to help him get up and down. I will miss him, but he will be at peace tomorrow.

I'm really sorry to hear that Tally! :( It's the right decision though, if he's in pain then that's the last thing you want - at least this way he won't be hurting any more and if it's any consolation everyone and everything will go at some point so it's just good that he's had such a great owner to give him a great life; a lot more than many other animals or even people could say (unfortunately).

My thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear about your poorly Kiity. It sounds like she may be suffering. You are probably doing the right thing. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

He sat on my lap for a while, purring softly to himself. I left him on the chair and he hasn't moved, I think he is scared to. He is sleeping on my bed tonight. I have food, water and litter tray all within easy reach for him, and a little step to help him get up and down. I will miss him, but he will be at peace tomorrow.

It's very sad to see them like this. You really have done everything you can to make his time happy and comfortable. I'm sorry you'll be losing each other.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

This morning he was even worse, with very little control over his head or back legs. I don't think he was in any pain, but he was certainly unhappy. The vet was very kind and gentle with him, and he is at peace now.

My mum offered to come to the vet with me and I thought it would be a good idea. She was meant to be looking after me, but she was in floods of tears.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It was obviously the right thing to do, but that doesn't make it any less painful for you. :tearful:

Take care of yourself, thinking of you,

K x

When my last cat died (Mr Cat's mother Molly), I kept thinking I could see her out of the corner of my eye. She was kind of brown, the colour of bags and coats. Mr Cat was bright orange though, and I don't have many things the colour of Mr Cat. I felt really sad when she went, and I expected to feel the same, but worse when Mr Cat went, because I have had him for longer and I only had Molly for 13 months. It's funny, because I feel completely different.

I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. He was so unhappy by this morning that it was just a relief to see him at peace. I can't quite believe he is really gone though. I feel like maybe if I walk into the other room I will find him there napping.

Mr Cat is probably leaping around with all his faculties restored, chasing heavenly rodents as we speak. :)

Hope you have lots of photos. When our old cat Stella died in similar circumstances we dedicated the top of a bookcase to her and put framed photos and flowers there.

K x

I have been taking as many photos as possible of him lately. My biggest regret with Molly is not having enough photos. At some point I am going to go through them on my computer and select some for printing. My friend, a photographer, is coming in 2 weeks, and she was hoping to capture some nice photos for me. Still, hopefully she will get some of Mitzi.

Sorry to hear this Tally.

We had to have a kitten put to sleep October 2008 (31st!! Creepy eh!?) aged 7 1/2 months :(

He got sick after his very first injection and no matter what medications they gave him he just deteriorated until he couldnt walk without his legs giving way either.

Its a horrible decision to make and you are very brave taking it! Too many people cant bear to live without their animal to the point that their decision becomes "selfish" (for want of a better word!)

I'll see if I can dig out a pic of my lil fighter.....could you post one of Mr Cat? Would be good to see him >:D<<'>

Thinking of you

Edited by minerva

This morning he was even worse, with very little control over his head or back legs. I don't think he was in any pain, but he was certainly unhappy. The vet was very kind and gentle with him, and he is at peace now.

My mum offered to come to the vet with me and I thought it would be a good idea. She was meant to be looking after me, but she was in floods of tears.

Sorry to hear about your bereavement.

Your kitty is in a lovely place, free of pain, and you are a stronger person for dealing with this situation.

My thoughts are with you.

Jannih