Tabby-cat

Puberty book. Anyone used it???

Hi, I posted this in a different section of the forum a while ago, with no success, so am trying again in this section!

I have been trying to find a good book about puberty for my almost 9 year old daughter and have come across a book by the Family Planning Association called Talking Together..... About Growing Up: A workbook for parents of children with learning disabilities. Has anyone used this book, what did you think of it?

I fear that my daughter is not going to cope with the changes puberty brings at all well and need a book to look at with her which describes these changes in a delicate, down to earth manner!

Thanks for any help :)

Hi my son is 14 and was quite late entering puberty,but when it happened it really happened. :wacko: I just found being very open and talking in very clear language and answering any questions worked best for us.I think the difficulty he faced as do many aspergers children is that physically they are developing as all other children are,but emotionally they are often behind by quite a few years and it can make them feel even more out of touch socially than they already are.Ive used books throughout his life for various reasons ,though not specifically puberty ones so cant advise on that,the book your talking about sounds good.Books in general both for us as parents and for the kids themselves I think are beneficial.There are books for AS teens in general that cover all issues,I think its just a case of browsing online.Amazon do a fantastic range .Good luck :thumbs:

Hi Hazma, thank you for your reply :) I agree, books for parents and children are very beneficial, just wish they weren't always so expensive! My daughter loves books anyway, so it is a good way to get things across to her. I have spoken to her about growing up, dropping little bits into the conversation as appropriate, and we are very open in my house - she thinks nothing of coming in to do a 'number 2' when I'm in the bath :rolleyes: and she sees me naked when washing/getting dressed etc (door always used to be firmly shut for toilet stuff, but then my DD came along! The joys of kids....Was SO different when I was growing up!) Anyway, I digress...! We will get through it, I'm sure, just like we've got through everything else :)

Think I will just buy the book and see. If it's rubbish I'll sell it on Ebay! :lol:

Thanks again x

we have a great book really useful. this book describes exactly what will happen to your body in an easy to understand way. it is called What's happening to me ? pink for girls and blue for boys. its an Usborne book costs around £6.00. Well worth the money, we got it when our dd was 10 and she is 12 now and still likes to go back to it to check things out. We talk about the book together and have some laughs.

Hi Julie1, thanks for the reply and for the book recommendation! Will have to go to my local bookshop and have a nosey again at a few books before seeing if they're cheaper on Amazon! :whistle: £6 is great though!

:)