jaffacakes

Hair Cutting - Tips please

Hi,

It's getting close to hair cutting time again. Ross hates the feel of cut hair on his skin, he has no problems with me combing or touching his hair (or anywhere else). I have always cut his hair - barbers won't touch him, I have clippers but am also getting good with scissors, I find that I can now thin his hair which means it can be longer - Ross gets very sweaty, especially at night so I can't leave it to get long.

So far I have tried:

A sheet with a key-hole cut for his head, I use clothes pegs to hold this as tight as possible round his neck.

Soft towels or tissue between his skin and the cloth

Cutting inside and outside or outside where I hope a breeze might help

Cutting his hair in the shower so he can shower off after each cut (took too long, he got cold and he still screams)

I have also physically sat on him and used the clippers to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Ross always goes straight up for a shower after I've cut his hair, has a complete change of clothes etc.

He will scream at the mention of hair cutting and squirms so much no matter how careful I am there is always hair on his skin. If he would only sit still it would be so much easier. He does seem to feel physical pain from the tiny pieces of cut hair, he also says that wool material hurts him.

What else can I try?

... He does seem to feel physical pain from the tiny pieces of cut hair, he also says that wool material hurts him. ...

I had a similar reaction to hair (and wool) when I was younger. Since the age of 25, the feeling is tolerable - but only just. I (still) prefer the blanket/towel solution, and take a shower afterwards. Perhaps you can get hold of a barber chair with a hairwashing basin at the back (where the hair could be collected).

When I was little I had a shampoo eye and face shield so that the water didn't go in my eyes, if you google image search this you will see what I mean, maybe this would be a good solution to stop the hair falling on him.

Have you tried puffing talcum powder on his neck and forehead before cutting? The hairs might slip off and not stick to him. Worth a try?

~ Mel ~

Sam used to be the same,he would scream and cry it was awful.But we eventually started bribery he would hold a lollipop while his hair would be cut and then eat it after,it wasnt enough to just say "we will give you a treat" he had to physically hold it.Though he would still squirm and he does squirm now when the back of his head is cut not because of pain but it tickles him alot.

We dont cut his hair that often about once every two months,luckily his hair doesnt grow fast,my eldest has his get every second weekend.I think now he is used to it and has realised it something that has to be done otherwise he gets uncomfortable with long hair.Sorry cant be more helpful.

Edited by justine1

Talc might be worth a try, thanks for that.

We have already tried bribery, which works until I actually get scissors/clippers close to him. We can of course sit him in front of the TV with his favourite dvd on, that didn't work either.

I have wondered about the shower things, I don't think I'd be able to get at his hair with that on, especially round his ears, but I will see if I can find one (Boots?) and have a look.

thanks

Any more?

my wee boy has long hair,

i have cut his hair at collar length since he was a wee thing.

i also cut a fringe.ive become good at it and he is very cute.

he also hated the whole process of hairdressing...lol

so we adapted and he is still cute at 12years old.100_1013

noogsy x

That bought back memories. We had to leave the barbers with half a haircut once!

My son cannot tolerate clippers. He hates the noise and he says it hurts his hair.

I have heard that those with sensory integration difficulties are not just over sensitive, but that they can feel the sensation for longer afterwards.

So maybe sticking to cutting with sissors.

My son now goes to a ladies hairdresser now and she is very good and tells him exactly what she is going to do before she does it. She also sprays a bit of water on his hand to let him feel the sensation before she sprays his hair. She also lets him hold his ears (because he is scared of them getting cut).

Apart from that he just has the apron around his neck and he gets into the shower as soon as he gets home.

Can he tell you exactly what it is that he doesn't like? Then you just have to believe what he says and alter what you do accordingly.

When we left the barbers my son was screaming in pain and all the barber kept saying was "i'm not hurting him". But that was his perception and not my son's experience. Since going to the hairdressers we have never had the same problems and slowly he trusted that it was not going to hurt and he's calmed down alot. He even said he needs a haircut yesterday, so i've got to book him in.

I think boots would be a sensible place to try, I have seen them on Ebay too. Another option is to do what we did, we had many nightmares with hairdressers and one woman even said "he's not having it done if he's gonna cry". Eventually we called around many many hairdressers (not barbers) and explained our situation, one woman was amazing, she told us to bring him when the salon was closed so it would be quiet and she kind of let him wander around the shop and when his interest took something she went in with the clippers it took her an hour and a half but she was so patient and wonderful. I know this isn't really an option because your sons issue is with the hair touching the skin but I thought someone else might find it useful. Anyway 5 years later he just goes to a barbers now and is their favourite customer because he sits so still.

Hiya Just wanted to say that we found our way through. From being a very small boy until approx 2 years ago, every hair cut was upsetting. Our son eventually sat inside with a door open, talc powder around neck, soft towels also around shoulders and just in his underwear so that as soon as hair cut finished he could get straight into a shower. We always used the hair clippers. We took steps that he visited the hair dressers whilst I was in having my hair done, then eventually he sat in chair up to having his hair cut.

He now at 14 walks to a very near by salon, the same one as always, to see the lady who cuts his hair. I am very proud of my son and just wanted to share with you, that yes we all had a dread of hair cut time for years but with lots of practice and patience he got there... Independence for him, however he will still tell me when asked that it hurts a bit but knows it has to be done. He also wants to look ok for a girl he has his eye on. Bless.[/font][/size][/font]

ohhh I've had another idea

What about popping some talc on like you have before but then giving him a hairdryer on cold setting so when he feels itchy he can blow the hair off his skin.

JP used to hate having his hair cut. Eventually, we found a sympathetic mobile hairdresser. He left his pj bottoms on & wrapped a towel round his neck, she cut with scissors & not the clippers, & as soon as she'd finished he shot upstairs & had a shower.

These days, aged 20, he takes himself off to the barber's (a proper old fashioned one), has a good gossip, then showers & changes his clothes as soon as he gets home. I never thought I'd see the day.

Hi

My eldest could never cope with haircuts when younger. Nothing worked, even bribery. At 16 he has his hair cut every 3 months - about 1/4 inch! He has very long wild hair and loves the attention he gets from it. He takes his T-shirt off and has the hairdressers cape round him.

My youngest has always been good as gold having haircuts as he hates having long hair (doesn't want to look like his brother!). He will not have the cape on so he has a special haircut T-shirt. Then he can take it off, brush all the hair off his skin (he also brushes the cut hairs out of his hair), and then put his normal T-shirt back on.

I find myself that if I wear my normal clothes for haircuts, even with the cape round (and at times even a heavy rubber collar thing on top), the hairs still get into the neckband and prickle, even after washing the clothing.

Good luck.

Lots of good ideas there, I hadn't thought of taking Ross's clothes off before we cut his hair and just leaving the cape on, that might make it easier to get him into the shower afterwards.

It's really the cut hair he hates, he can scream and cry and when I look there is only one tiny piece of hair on him, so it's difficult no matter how careful I am.

I gave Ross some talc to play with in his hands last night and that was OK.

thanks again.

Lots of good ideas there, I hadn't thought of taking Ross's clothes off before we cut his hair and just leaving the cape on, that might make it easier to get him into the shower afterwards.

It's really the cut hair he hates, he can scream and cry and when I look there is only one tiny piece of hair on him, so it's difficult no matter how careful I am.

I gave Ross some talc to play with in his hands last night and that was OK.

thanks again.

Could you lay him on the bed on his back so his hair is hanging down away from his body (put a cloth/towel on the floor to catch the hair) and cut it like that?

Could he just grow his hair? Schools and even workplaces just aren't as strict on things like that these days. He might decide he wants his hair cut later and will put up with the problems - it can be a case of one anxiety outweighing another.

Could you lay him on the bed on his back so his hair is hanging down away from his body (put a cloth/towel on the floor to catch the hair) and cut it like that?

Could he just grow his hair? Schools and even workplaces just aren't as strict on things like that these days. He might decide he wants his hair cut later and will put up with the problems - it can be a case of one anxiety outweighing another.

Mandapanda makes a good point,this was the turn around for Sam.We let his hair grow for about six months and when it got to summer he was so itchy and sweaty that he actually requested his haircut and after it he said "I can breath now" This was about 18 months ago so he was about 5 at the time.Now he always has a big sigh after as he is relieved because he is not so hot and bothered.

Ross has very thick hair and gets very sweaty, so having long hair is really not an option. I can thin it out a bit but he really needs it kept short.

I've not thought about lying him down, but then I could really only use the clippers. I'll give that a try I think.

30 mins later

Oh dear, that didn't work. He screams so much I'm worried about someone calling the police - seriously. Lying him down should have worked as all the hair went onto the floor, but because he won't sit still it's still impossible.

In the end I gave up and put him in the shower and we finished it there, at least it's not to cold at the moment and I can get him to move forward.

No 18 all over

Hi

I was very anxious about having my three year olds hair cut for the first time, I couldn't do it myself so I had a hairdresser come to the home and sat in front of her and fed her chocolate fingers throughout!! I was pleasantly surprised how well behaved she was through the entire experience but I think as long as she could see me and she was distracted it was fine.

The time is coming again and even worse than haircuts, I need to take her to the dentists. Can't really feed her chocolate fingers there!!

Clare

Hi

I was very anxious about having my three year olds hair cut for the first time, I couldn't do it myself so I had a hairdresser come to the home and sat in front of her and fed her chocolate fingers throughout!! I was pleasantly surprised how well behaved she was through the entire experience but I think as long as she could see me and she was distracted it was fine.

The time is coming again and even worse than haircuts, I need to take her to the dentists. Can't really feed her chocolate fingers there!!

Clare

We've not done that yet - dentist that is. Bad I know but there is no way he's tolerate that, perhaps when we have a dx we will be able to access some support ...

We've not done that yet - dentist that is. Bad I know but there is no way he's tolerate that, perhaps when we have a dx we will be able to access some support ...

I've found that things that she hasn't experienced before and I get very anxious about, she usually surprises me by taking it all in her stride. Although I suppose thinking about it you do tend to prepare for these things as a matter of course. I tend to find that I modify my behaviour to deal with hers but it is something I do subconciously but she always amazes me!

Obviously I don't know your son but it might be worth just biting the bullet, if you don't get any further than him just going in to the room that's a start! XXX

Clare

My son hates the feeling of the cut hair on his skin and goes hysterical if the clippers are used. The hairdresser knows this and makes sure that his skin is completely covered with towels before she gets the scissors out. She always cuts his hair with him facing the mirror so he can see whats happening, this way he copes with it.

and i used to think it was just me

i got so skilled with the clippers that i could do his hair in about 5 passes!! i used the bribery method too i am afraid, just gave him a bag of sweets and he had 1 for each pass of the clippers. i also did it outside and

immediately i finished he jumped in the bath and i had to wash all the hair off or he scratched himself raw

now ds is older he will go to the barbers BUT we have a haircutting shirt cos once hes had his haircut in a shirt he will not wear it out again no matter how many times i wash it

my wee soul hates hair cuts,he is 10.Last year we had sessions with a OT for desensitising him for hair cutting and it seems to have worked, over the years he has to be held down while OH gets to work with the clippers,now as he gets older he does protest,but endures without too much fuss, though we say you will need a hair cut soon and he says, no i don't WANT A HAIRCUT! i think its the buzz of the clippers he does not like, because he does not mind the scissors. I go to the hairdressers and he says can i go and get my haircut. so who knows he might like to be fussed over by a pretty girl with hair cutting tools :rolleyes: no tips i am afraid.Just understanding of your frustrations. He does not particulary like hair washes either,so i have some protest over that,but he lets me get on with it.Some og the OT sessions and age seems to have helped making the task easier.