scotkaz

New Member from Glasgow

Hi

My name Is Kaz and I found this site a few weeks ago after being told my 20 year old son has many Asperger's Traits. He is being tested in two weeks time.

I have always known there was something "different" about my son and being told about AS makes so much sense.

Since he was about 2 or 3 I have been told all that is wrong with him is me being too soft etc etc I have been reading as many stories as possible and the identification I am getting is overwhelming.

I am angry that no one suggested this before as it would have saved so much pain and heartache. Everyone just though M was quiet.

I look forward to reading other peoples stories.

Since he was about 2 or 3 I have been told all that is wrong with him is me being too soft etc etc

Wow, does THAT sound completely familiar. Fortunately school have begun to support me recently and a great lady at church with an autistic son who has always said 'yes, you're right' and has given me loads of advice. That was enough to keep me ignoring my husband ( :wallbash: ) reading and teaching my daughter all the strategies that are recommended for a child with her AS tendencies. We actually got a clear diagnosis last week (she's 9) so now I definitely don't have to listen to anyone saying I'm too overprotective and there's nothing wrong - we know our kids, grrr!

Good luck with the testing - I hope you get a clear answer and then both get whatever support and advice you need.

Welcome, Kaz. :)

Hope you and your son get the answers you're looking for, and better late than never.

K x

Thank you both of you.

I am just so relieved actually that there is now a possible explanation for all his little quirks and being the loner that he is. he has worried me sick for years due to having no friends come around, he doesn't go out and spends most of his time in his room on his PC or playing role playing games such as World of War Craft and other kinds of games.

I have taken him to doctors so often in the past few years due to him staying in his room and was told that this was all normal teenage stuff. I knew this was not as I have three older kids, he is my only son but I still knew him almost living in his room was not "normal"

He doesn't sleep much and he never really did to be honest.

I have been reading as many stories of how young kids with AS are and I can see my son in many of them.

My son was always a bright active child. always on the go, climbing and asking wonderful questions like Why is the sky blue? And not accepting me saying I did not know. I had to go and find out why this was so and explain it to him.

He was quick to walk and talk...........well with 3 older sisters he had no option but to talk :D

When he was about 3 the little mermaid was the film he watched over and over. He never seemed to tire of it and could do all the songs and all the characters roles. He particularly loved Ariel the mermaid and he collected mermaids for a long time. He had 36 small mermaids which he would sort out into a circle or a line in front of the tv. He also had ariel dolls which he would use one of the dolls to pretend she was swimming while he watched the film.

He loved long hair and would play with my hair constantly but then he made his own hair long by using a pair of the girls tights over his head. I thought he had a wonderful imagination.

Usually he would be half naked or then he discovered some tunics someone had bought the girls from Spain. This became his favourite clothing and he wore it to bed, he wore it around the house all the time.

He has never liked football or anything that is rough and tumble. Which in Scotland is hard on a boy who won't play football.

The only foods he ate for a long time were custard, beans and weetabix. He would not eat anything else.

I asked the health visitor about this and she said he would grow out of it, which he did to an extent.

He is still a "fussy" eater and will only eat burgers, sausage, beans, mince and potatoes, chips (so long as there are no bad bits in them" he picks the black bits out and throws them away) pizza but it can only be cheese or pepperoni, fried rice and cheese. He does eat bread.

He will only eat one brand of crisps.

He moved on from Ariel to Pokemon when he was about 9 and still likes Pokemon and those types of games to this day.

He hated nursery but after about 6 months finally settled in but had to be allowed to take the 36 mermaids with him in a packed lunch box, which he played with on his own.

He detested school from day one. Screamed cried and kicked his way there daily. I would dress him and he would remove the school clothes. It was a daily war.

I was told I was being too soft on him. he should be able to dress himself etc and he could dress himself. It was just that he hated the uniform.

I could go on and on with 20 years worth of this kind of stuff but won't.:)

I remember going to US with M and he was 15, the pizza my friend ordered had Mushrooms on it so automatically I picked his off before he would eat it. She asked, can't he pick them off himself? I said no, he does not like the feel of them.

It seemed the most natural thing in the world for me to be picking bits off his food.

I remembered this last night as I gave him some home made soup and made sure I was picking out the bits of ham.

sorry for going on. It is just such a relief to know people understand.

Hi Kaz, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS a couple of years ago, aged 25. It sounds like AS is a very strong possibility. It would be good for you to have some answers, and good for your son too, to understand why he is how he is.

Welcome

We had problems getting my diagnosis which finally came age 16 too late to affect school. I am now in my 30s and living in supported accommodation.

i have home help 2 hours a day except weekends.

Welcome

We had problems getting my diagnosis which finally came age 16 too late to affect school. I am now in my 30s and living in supported accommodation.

i have home help 2 hours a day except weekends.

Can I ask what other help you get?

My son hasn't worked since he left the small school he attended for the last few years of his education. He did a work release for a short time but did not stick with it.

I wonder if there are any support groups etc for him here in Glasgow?

This page shows contact information about social groups in Scotland run by the NAS: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2579

They would probably not be able to offer any kind of formal support, but the NAS might also be able to offer you and him advice on how to get that as well.

thank you for this info. I will give them a call tomorrow. :thumbs: