Tabby-cat

ASD friendly cinema screenings. Experiences????

Hi,

I have discovered ASD friendly screenings at a cinema not too far from me, and am going to have a go at taking my daughter there next week. I was wondering if anyone has been to any of these and what they thought of them.

Many thanks :)

The website is www.picturehouses.co.uk If you do a search for 'autism' it brings up a list of the cinemas that do the screenings.

I really hope our visit goes well! My daughter is nervous about it (cinemas are a big no go for her) but has agreed to try it :thumbs:

Hi

I took my son to a NAS organised screening. R wasn't comfortable with it at all (he's 8 and has AS). I think this was mainly because there were a lot of kids who are more severe than he is. The volume is reduced, no trailers, low lights (as opposed to no lights), etc. I thought it was good for parents to take their kids there knowing that everyone else was in the same position and so you were unlikely to be faced with lots of sssssshhhhhhushing (fair enough to a degree given that people pay to see a film)! I recall one kid who stood at the side rocking back and forth listening to his ipod. I'm guessing that being able to do that made it bearable for him and he perhaps was able to see some/most of the film. One child, for example, walked through every row pulling straws out of cups, etc. R wasn't happy about that at all and he was very much aware that it was a different kind of cinema screening (it took a long time to teach him that you must be quiet, sit in your chair and watch the film and I think because he already had that awareness it wasn't for him). So, all in all, I think for kids that are perhaps going to the cinema for the first time or can't sit still or quietly for long periods, it's ideal.

Caroline.

i agree with cmuir, ok if tyour kids dont want to watch the film or arent distracted by background sounds but know good for asperger/hfa folk.

Hi all, I am pleased to report we had a very successful trip to the cinema to see Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Squeakual :rolleyes: The lights were dimmed to a very pleasant level, the volume wasn't reduced as much as I thought it would be, but after the initial shock of the loudness all was well with my DD. After about 20 minutes of being uncertain and looking around the room, she settled down, ate pick n mix (nearly had to remortgage the house though! :D) and giggled her way through the film. :thumbs: There were a fair number of more noisy children there, who did disturb DD at the start, but she soon forget about them and enjoyed the experience.

I was SO proud of DD and thrilled that finally we were able to enjoy the cinema as a family. :bounce: Woohoo!!!!

Pleased you had fun tabby cat. We've got the best of both worlds in Nth Somerset a group in Bristol for adults that want to actually see the film without distraction and a group like yours.