Sign in to follow this  
minerva

I'm fed up with the big "C"!!!!!!!!!

I'm basically in shock!!!

I was sat here minding my own business yesterday, chatting rubbish on facebook....when my beautiful Dobermann came over to have a cuddle. He put his head on my lap as usual. I noticed that his eye looked a little "misty" so googled it (trusty old google!)

I got several links come up saying although it is probably nothing that with eyes you just need to call the vets straight away anyway. So I did.

They gave me an appointment for the same day. So I went to the vets and sat in the waiting room chatting rubbish with the rest of the people waiting, feeling sorry for them all with all their ailments.

We get called in, I tell the vet, he takes a look.....i'm expecting to be told he has conjunctivitus or something....the vet says "Oh no thats not good" :huh:

They NEVER say bad stuff! Even when its bad!! They always sound positive! So obviously bad is bad.....how bad.....

He shows me inside his eye....

He has a growth inside his actual eye, not on the eyelid or tear ducts, but the actual eye itself inside. Half of his eye is taken over by this growth.

The vet starts telling me about benign stuff and malignant and etc etc, basically telling me that usually they would do a biopsy but as its inside the eye they would risk him going blind anyway, but as its growing so fast a biopsy isnt even necessary, its very worrying how fast its grown and they need to remove his eye!!!

He had his jab's at the end of January and was checked over at the time & nothing was there, now he has a tumor the size of a 10p peice!!

I cant beleive it!

I walked in with a "healthy" dog and out with one that may be dying! WTH!!!

Sorry if that didnt make any sense :tearful:

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog.

What a dreadful shock for you. Is it possible to get a second opinion, just to make sure. A different vet may have another opinion and treatment option. Is he insured?

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago. Our little beagle suddenly developed a lump on her leg. We thought it was a nasty insect bite but it was cancer, She had the lump removed and lived on for several more years.

A similar thing happened with my cat. Not her eye, it was her kidney. By the time I realised she was unwell and took her to the vet, she had to be put to sleep there and then.

Try to take as many photos of your dog as you can. I had another cat who died recently after a long illness, and I am so pleased I had the opportunity to take lots of photos to remember him by.

So sorry to hear your dog may be losing her eye. It must all be a really big shock for you. I hope things go well and she will get over this.

Edited by Tally

Lorry, He isnt insured as we use the PDSA. They are very good and I trust them 1000%. They never ever do anything unless they really have to.

They spent 6 hours repairing his leg when he shattered his femur after running out in front of a car in 2006. He spent so long in there and had to go back so many times afterwards for Xrays etc that they all know him. I swear if there is any more when they put him under they will be the first ones to cry!

Thanks Tally, I was wanting a nice picture taken of him anyway, we were all supposed to be going to a photo shoot next month :tearful:

I will have to try and find someone that will come & take some really nice ones of him before Tuesday. Its not gonna be easy though with it being Easter and all! He has the worst timing!!

And I know he will probably be fine, they are remarkably resilient! It will be me I think, Every time someone said "Isnt he beautiful" yesterday I just started crying! Cant help thinking well he wont be next week :tearful:

What a horrible thing to feel! I should be glad I saw anything at all!

Poor you and poor Dobi. (sorry, don't know his name).

It may be tough for a while but I'm sure many animals cope well with only one eye. He'll need lots of cuddles and help from you to adapt but lets hope the Op goes smoothly. Cesar Milan always says that dogs don't remember history and life for today, that is such a good policy.

Has the Vet commented on the future, I assume it all depends how quickly they have caught it, it sounds like you have acted very quickly so fingers crossed.

*hugs*

Lynn

If a photographer enjoys taking photos of animals, that will probably be because they like animals, and they may well be keen to fit something in before Tuesday for you if you tell them why you are in such a hurry.

I'm sure its his personality that you love more than his appearance, and that is something you can capture yourself, at home with his family and the people he knows.

I guess they can't really tell you anything for certain until they've had a proper look at his eye. It's a difficult time, not knowing what it is you are trying to come to terms with.

Hope the operation is a success and buys him many more doggy years.

My cat had to have an eye removed due to an injury. It was very straightforward and she was out hunting again as soon as she was allowed out - it didn't seem to impede her balance. We got used to her one eye very quickly - in fact it gave her character, we thought.

K x

Thanks for all your kind words. It is a very hard time indeed! Its a nightmare trying to consider the kids feelings when you are distraught yourself!

I found something out this week, if you take a flash photograph you can diagnose some eye problems such as Cancer's.

This works in people as well as animals so is worth knowing!

I took a photo of Zeus so that you can see for yourself

vpgf91.jpg

As you can see the left eye has a large part that doesnt reflect the light as it should. Both eyes are very dark brown when looking at him without the light so you cant see anything at all when looking at him, yet its blatently obvious something is wrong from the picture.

Edit, not sure why the pic isnt showing up! Go to this link http://i39.tinypic.com/vpgf91.jpg :thumbs:

Edited by minerva

So sorry that he may be unwell!Hopefully after the surgery all will recover quickly.He is gorgeous :wub:

I had a female doberman when I was a teenager she was so lovely very laid back and easy to please,unlike my german shephard who was very rough/playful needed attention most of the day he was a handful!

Edited by justine1

He's staying at the Vets overnight because when I went to pick him up he got too excited in his "drunken" state and his blood pressure rose so the wound started pumping blood everywhere and I freaked :tearful:

Blood pumping out of most places I can handle but eyes is something else! He looks terrible (and so do I)! But they think it was all contained in his eye so fingers crossed that will be the end of it once he (and I) recovers!

It's so quiet in my house.....I dont like it!!

Sorry you couldn't bring him home tonight. I hope he will get a good rest and be well enough to come home in the morning.

Hope he is well enough to come home today. Animals are part of your family and its horrible when they are ill etc. We have a Border Collie cross and on the couple of occassions he has had to spend over night at the vets, there feels a huge hole in the family. Let us know what happens.