JsMum

I dont know who to Vote for?

I vote for Joanna Lumley. :D

The way she dealt with the Gurkha issue was impressive - just one steely- eyed look and they'll all be cowering in their seats.

K x ;)

she is a star in my town as we have the gurka peeps living on our local barracks, off to read the MRLP manifesto as I may change my vote to them!

Hi all,

Has anyone watched on BBC News chanel Clegg's talk with students in Birmingham this morning?

I was horrified how he answered the question of one of the students about how he would help disabled people get to work.

Clegg was taken back by it and said ' there are ALREADY lot of very good schemes to help disabled people get work' and that he would give more power to local authorities to decide how to help their people with disabilities. If there are good schemes why would NAS have to campain on behalf of unimployed people with autism? Obviously he hasn't got a clue! I was very disapointed because I was even considering to vote for LibDem.

Maybe I will vote for Mickey Mouse this time. :blink:

Danaxxx

Oh dear, whatever your political leanings, you have to feel sorry for Gordon Brown, don't you. Bet he wishes he'd stayed in bed this morning instead of going on the campaign trail!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/...-mic-gaffe.html

I actually felt it made him more human than the others. I know it wasn't the right thing to say, but we all say things (when we think we're) in private that we wouldn't say out loud and it's human nature to make assumptions about others. I find the discussion of style and who's wearing the best suit and who has the best tie/sock combination really annoying - I would actually be temped to vote for the worst dressed in the hope that it meant they were spending more time thinking about the running of the country rather than impressing Mr Gok or whatever his name is. :lol:

Maybe I will vote for Mickey Mouse this time. :blink:

Someone's put up spoof election posters around where I live (I don't think there's any candidate behind them) urging people to vote for the Darleks! :lol: :lol:

Clegg --- said ' there are ALREADY lot of very good schemes to help disabled people get work'

Well he is right in as much as there are schemes to help disabled people get work, problem is that they dont seem to work that well. In the time that my wife has been on incapacity benefit, she has been on 4 different schemes, each with the promise of a job at the end and each one came to nothing.

The problem seems to be persuading employers to actually take on a disabled person. Some large employers seem good at taking on people with high profile disabilities, but few of them seem that keen on people with "invisible" disabilities.

Whats proportional representation?

Proportional Representation (PR) is the principle behind a number of electoral systems, all of which attempt to ensure that the outcome of the election reflects the proportion of support gained by each competing group.

PR contrasts to the Majoritarian principle, where whichever party or candidate obtains a plurality of votes within any given constituency wins that contest outright. Majoritarianism is the principle that underpins the First-Past-The-Post system that is used for elections to the House of Commons, along with other systems including alternative vote, bloc vote and various single member constituency systems.

I support some kind of PR as under the current system you can get a lower percentage of the popular vote and still win the election. This only really benefits the tories and labour as their support tends to be concentrated in rural/city areas whereas a party such as the lib dems are spread out thinly across the country so can get just as big a percentage of the popular vote but a heck of a lot less seats because of it.

I know which party is supporting people with disabilities but iim not allowed to discuss who im voting

why not?

I'm torn between voting for the party that best represent my ideology, or the party that will best standout as a protest vote to the voting system.

This is with a background of living in a constituency where my first chose party stands no chance of winning.

because were not supposed to be discussing it i dont know why but thats why there is a ballot box

We are free to have as much open discussion as we like. A lot of us dont openly say who we are voting for so as not to upset frends and family who may have other views, but no one is stoping any of us from openly saying who we vote for.

You're entitled to keep your voting intentions private, and many people like to, and of course the ballot box ensures that nobody will ever know who you voted for. But there's no law against talking about it. If the person who said this to you was stating a general rule, then I would say they are talking nonsense, but I don't know the context in which the remark was made.

K x

Also we dont know your address so to us you are fairly anonymous.

Thanks for the explanations science geek and special talent.

By "discussing the vote" they mean others shouldn't influence your vote. I've already voted (posting my postal vote tomorrow).

I've never been interested in the smaller parties, don't trust the torries and wanted a change so ive gone lib dem.

i don't know why i didn't vote green as i have done in the past.

According to "the Sun" newspaper torries could be supporting disabled children into mainstream schools. i dont trust that paper though.

labour i have read the easy to read report says

' Protect money to spend on services such as childcare, schools, NHS police etc

' the economy in 4 years cut down the amount of money government borrows every year by half and help business grow, spend on new faster railwaus, look after the environment, Pay for every to have broadband to use the internet at home etc.

'Living standards- having enough money to have good life and about everyone who can work- making sure there is job or training for yp who our out of work for 6 months. if they dont take part there benefits will be cut, promises job who been unemployed for 2 years, cut tax people who pay when buy first house, have a peoples bank post office etc.

' Education - thinks every child should have good education and wants to support children with SEN. Have better teaching for children with dyslexia and autism, we will have more teachers for peoples with SLD (severe Learning disabilities) in Special schools, Spend more money on childcare, schools and education 16-19 year olds, have more free nursery places for children who are 2 years old, have 15 hours a week of nursery education for children who are 3 and 4 years of age., small groups and 1 to 1 for children who need extra support etc

' Health- want healthcare in country to be the best in the world. wants nhs to put patients needs at the centre of thw way of healthcare works. labour wants to have quarantees for all patients the right to wait for no longer than 18 weeks for nhs treatment or choice to private treatment, bring in health checks for people Who ae 40 years old, have more personal care to meet nhs standard, promise 1 to 1 nurseing, make sue people can have perrsonal care plans and the right individual budget, make sure people who need it will be able to get supporrt with mental health etc

' crime- believe people should feel safe in homes and communities- making sure there is money for enough police, make sure police spend most of there time keeping the streets in community safe, take action about the problems caused by some familieis, do more to stop and deal with anti social behaviou etc.

the list goes on

i still dont know who i am voting for..lol...i never do

i dont see any of the main parties supporting disabilities and i am at the point where i think they will say anything to get your vote...i may vote for a smaller party who will do more locally in my own area..i probably wont make my mind up till next thursday!

I dont feel like actually voting but then i remember the suffragettes and how tirelessly they fought for women to get the vote..so i will use my vote..just not sure how to use it yet!

I don't have much faith and trust in the election system and I believe that party manifestos are generally a pack of lies. The reality of the matter is that there will be little difference when it comes to disability and SEN services regardless of whoever you vote for and whoever wins, so this election really is a non issue from this perspective. I know who I'm voting for. The party has a rock solid policy on another issue that concerns me. The candidate probably won't win but a strong vote for the party will give a message to whoever wins that they cannot ignore.

Edited by Canopus

labour i have read the easy to read report says

' Protect money to spend on services such as childcare, schools, NHS police etc

' the economy in 4 years cut down the amount of money government borrows every year by half and help business grow, spend on new faster railways, look after the environment, Pay for everyone to have broadband to use the internet at home etc.

Those 2 above i agree with but the next one puts me off.

'Living standards- having enough money to have good life and about everyone who can work- making sure there is job or training for yp who our out of work for 6 months. if they dont take part there benefits will be cut, promises job who been unemployed for 2 years, cut tax people who pay when buy first house, have a peoples bank post office etc.

This would penalise many autistics who are unable to explain their needs (or realise they could have asd).

' Education - thinks every child should have good education and wants to support children with SEN. Have better teaching for children with dyslexia and autism, we will have more teachers for peoples with SLD (severe Learning disabilities) in Special schools, Spend more money on childcare, schools and education 16-19 year olds, have more free nursery places for children who are 2 years old, have 15 hours a week of nursery education for children who are 3 and 4 years of age, small groups and 1 to 1 for children who need extra support etc

All well and good but when they start looking for work they could end up in unsuitable employment.

' Health- want healthcare in country to be the best in the world. wants NHS to put patients needs at the centre of the way of healthcare works. labour wants to have guarantees for all patients the right to wait for no longer than 18 weeks for NHS treatment or choice to private treatment, bring in health checks for people Who are 40 years old, have more personal care to meet NHS standard, promise 1 to 1 nursing, make sure people can have personal care plans and the right individual budget, make sure people who need it will be able to get support with mental health etc

Now that could be due to the autism act and i hope this happens no matter who gets in.

' crime- believe people should feel safe in homes and communities- making sure there is money for enough police, make sure police spend most of there time keeping the streets and community safe, take action about the problems caused by some families, do more to stop and deal with anti social behaviour etc.

the list goes on

Agreed with the above but autistics can get caught up in this as well. A friend of mines got an ODD son, would Labour support him?

this isnt just for LD its for neurotypicals too. any way the above living standards they mean the ones that were in employment before and the training not the other way round. im unemployed and have no training

bear in mind with labour they've been in power for 13 (?) years now... how likely is it they're going to suddenly get off their behinds and follow through on their manifesto now?

a lot of the manifestos are null and void anyway for the next couple of years while the economy straightens out. at the moment they're all pretty much bound to a particular path or the economy will collapse again.

points to remember -

- either benefits will have to be cut or taxes raised. either way people suffer

- you can say all you want about a better education system/NHS... theres no money and things generally dont get better by having less money spent on them

- for SEN - inclusion works for SOME children, special schools work for SOME children... neither is right or wrong, it all depends on the child and something as big as the education system can't take into account every child in it.

- most politicians lie!

- being inclusive to the point of patronising is not progress, its still seeing you as different in a negative way.

up until last night i was voting conservative, but i have two main issues which are controversial and now i'm not sure which is the bigger part of me and therefore more important. i can't find a party that suits both.

points to remember -

- either benefits will have to be cut or taxes raised. either way people suffer

- you can say all you want about a better education system/NHS... theres no money and things generally dont get better by having less money spent on them

- for SEN - inclusion works for SOME children, special schools work for SOME children... neither is right or wrong, it all depends on the child and something as big as the education system can't take into account every child in it.

- most politicians lie!

- being inclusive to the point of patronising is not progress, its still seeing you as different in a negative way.

Exactly.

Something that bothers me is they say what they are going to do but cant explain how they will do it and also cannot give a rough idea of when.If I have a plan to achieve X,Y,Z in the next year I need to have a realistic plan of how I am going to do this,yes I may not achieve all those things but at least I have "laid it out there."

I also find there are three partys(none of which are Labour) that have bits of policies I agree with and how I wish there was a party who could put these policies together that would be great,but of course never gonna happen.

I also find there are three partys(none of which are Labour) that have bits of policies I agree with and how I wish there was a party who could put these policies together that would be great,but of course never gonna happen.

There is also the concept of direct democracy such as that used in Switzerland. I don't think this concept is well known or understood by the British public.

this is hurting me. you cant make a debate without voting before hand. look im a young ambassador and we work with house of commons to change things that are important to disabled people that need changing and trust me the last years one took place in the manofestio.

we work with house of commons to change things that are important to disabled people that need changing and trust me the last years one took place in the manofestio.

how do you know what is important to all disabled people? and how do you know you represent them correctly? my view of disability is (from what i've read in posts) somewhat different to yours, so it stands to reason that if you support labour for example, i'm not likely to so so as well. not becausse i dont like you/what you're doing/what you think but because our lives are very different so we have different needs.

bearing in mind i've now ruled out both conservatives and labour, it looks like i'll be voting lib-dem... anyone know what UKIP think of gay rights?! (i'd never vote for them, but i'm curious now...)

Hang on nobby every person with a disability that has been chosen by CDC that they know what they want and also we talk to them. dont flame at me. I am disabled too and i work with other people with disabilities, physical emotional, behavioural etc. im ending my discussion

i wasn't aware i was 'flaming' at you :huh: you posted that you were working with people who

work with house of commons to change things that are important to disabled people that need changing
i was simply asking how you came to the conclusions you do.

i have real issues with small, select groups of people 'speaking' for such a large and varied group as 'disabled people' i dont consider my needs to be the same as someone with a severe learning disability, nor someone wheelchair bound and unable to physically care for themself or even the same as some of the people on this board who i share a diagnosis with. i've no idea how you can encompass everything that everyone needs, and everything that improves life for one group will generally have a negative effect on someone else.

your attitude has come across to me (and i may be wrong, i'm finding it hard to follow what you're saying) that since you work with this group you know best and we should all vote the way you feel because thats what is best for disabled people. so i questioned how you have drawn the conclusion.

anyone know what UKIP think of gay rights?! (i'd never vote for them, but i'm curious now...)

UKIP are a far right party with views/policies that reflect this.....

A parliamentary candidate for UKIP has claimed that his party would scrap "politically correct" laws allowing discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Garry Cockrill, the candidate for Southend West, told a hustings on Wednesday that Christians were being discriminated against. He was speaking at a hustings organised by a local church, where he attacked equality legislation......

a policy document says UKIP would scrap hate speech legislation which is "cynical social engineering".

A parliamentary candidate for UKIP has claimed that his party would scrap "politically correct" laws allowing discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Garry Cockrill, the candidate for Southend West, told a hustings on Wednesday that Christians were being discriminated against. He was speaking at a hustings organised by a local church, where he attacked equality legislation......

a policy document says UKIP would scrap hate speech legislation which is "cynical social engineering".

oooh, fun. remind me not to make friends with them