JsMum

I dont know who to Vote for?

back to the discussion of elections, to me increasing my household income as a working family is paramount in my selection for this election as well as education, not saying nothing else is important, but for me these are my top choices

back to the discussion of elections, to me increasing my household income as a working family is paramount in my selection for this election as well as education, not saying nothing else is important, but for me these are my top choices

My priorities are Education as a whole mainstream and special needs also including student debts as I am about to go to Uni.

NHS funding as I will be a nurse at the end of my course and if there is no funding it means no jobs,also without more funding the lists for assesments will continue to get longer,although Sam has got his dx I really feel for those parents who have to wait longer than they need to.

More encouragement and help for single parents to get back to work,at the moment things are easier for single parents to stay at home and not work this needs to change.By putting money into schemes to get people back into work the government will save money in the long run.Currently there is an actual law that says if the last born child or only child is 7yrs and older the parent should no longer qualify for benefits but yet there are people who have children aged 16 and still on benefits to me this is wrong.Beveridge Report states that benefits are meant to be a short term solution to get people on their feet and this needs to be enforced.

----- to me increasing my household income as a working family is paramount in my selection for this election ------

You will have to let us know which party that is, not come across them yet. :(

Currently there is an actual law that says if the last born child or only child is 7yrs and older the parent should no longer qualify for benefits but yet there are people who have children aged 16 and still on benefits to me this is wrong.Beveridge Report states that benefits are meant to be a short term solution to get people on their feet and this needs to be enforced.

What about home educating families? Should home educated kids be forced to attend school simply in order that their parents can take paid employment? What if the kids were withdrawn from school because of bullying or failure to meet their SEN?

What about home educating families? Should home educated kids be forced to attend school simply in order that their parents can take paid employment? What if the kids were withdrawn from school because of bullying or failure to meet their SEN?

I was not refering to children with SEN or in fact those children who are being bullied.There are always exceptions.I am talking of those parents who see their children as meal tickets.I used to live next door to a lady who has four children,three have left home the eldest is 32,one remains at home and is 15.This women left school got married had kids,got divorced ended up on benefits(been on benefits for over 10years)never worked a day in her life and now because she is in her 50's she finds it hard to get employment,in fact she thinks working in a shop is "beneath her" cause of her age :unsure:

You will have to let us know which party that is, not come across them yet. :(

Am working on it, maybe I should create my own party :D

There was a TV drama a few years ago about a woman who set up her own party. She got elected in as prime minister and it was all a bit of a shock to her.

I been told not to be so negative about voting. What would you rather have conservatives freezing benefits or supporting any disabilities in education

Not being negative about voting (in other words being positive) would mean "make sure you vote" nothing to do with discussing political parties standards.

If you properly read my post about my voting habits you will see why your question was unnecessary. You cant have a disability in education but people in education can be disabled. People enter education not disabilities.

bear in mind with labour they've been in power for 13 (?) years now... how likely is it they're going to suddenly get off their behinds and follow through on their manifesto now?

i think thats why the conservatives mentioned "vote for a change" but anyone who votes for a party other than labour would be voting for a change. Unless it is a play on words meaning "if you havent voted before then vote for conservatives"?

a lot of the manifestos are null and void anyway for the next couple of years while the economy straightens out. at the moment they're all pretty much bound to a particular path or the economy will collapse again.

Do any parties have plans to scrap the "local housing allowance" ?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBen...ome/DG_10018928

Not sure if theres any point in applying for a benefit that might not exist (and cause hassle getting back to the previous system).

points to remember -

- either benefits will have to be cut or taxes raised. either way people suffer

- you can say all you want about a better education system/NHS... there's no money and things generally don't get better by having less money spent on them

- for SEN - inclusion works for SOME children, special schools work for SOME children... neither is right or wrong, it all depends on the child and something as big as the education system can't take into account every child in it.

- most politicians lie!

- being inclusive to the point of patronising is not progress, its still seeing you as different in a negative way.

up until last night i was voting conservative, but i have two main issues which are controversial and now i'm not sure which is the bigger part of me and therefore more important. i can't find a party that suits both.

Agree and understand all of your points.

Hang on nobby every person with a disability that has been chosen by CDC that they know what they want and also we talk to them. dont flame at me. I am disabled too and i work with other people with disabilities, physical emotional, behavioural etc. im ending my discussion

He wasn't flaming you, just asking how you can have a balanced viewpoint when certain disabled peoples views weren't met. i didn't know for example that some autistics have problems with open plan environments and can ask to have that workplace changed. It didn't really sink in until i had experienced that situation myself.

i wasn't aware i was 'flaming' at you :huh: you posted that you were working with people who i was simply asking how you came to the conclusions you do.

i have real issues with small, select groups of people 'speaking' for such a large and varied group as 'disabled people' i don't consider my needs to be the same as someone with a severe learning disability, nor someone wheelchair bound and unable to physically care for themselves or even the same as some of the people on this board who i share a diagnosis with. I've no idea how you can encompass everything that everyone needs, and everything that improves life for one group will generally have a negative effect on someone else.

Your attitude has come across to me (and i may be wrong, I'm finding it hard to follow what you're saying) that since you work with this group you know best and we should all vote the way you feel because that's what is best for disabled people. so i questioned how you have drawn the conclusion.

Im a member of user representation group, anyone who wishes to come to represent their views only can do so. Problem is hardly anyone attends and the information goes back to the NAS. Even getting their expenses paid to travel to and from the group hasn't persuaded them. Im also the social secretary of some of the groups in my area, again no one tells me what they wish to get organised so i have to organise something and guess what they want.

Just like special talent isn't aware of everyone's needs (or even all autistic needs, no one can be) i cant be aware of all the members of my social groups needs. It is political since the NAS user rep groups are for members to let the NAS know how they feel on certain issues and needs.

UKIP are a far right party with views/policies that reflect this.....

A parliamentary candidate for UKIP has claimed that his party would scrap "politically correct" laws allowing discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Garry Cockrill, the candidate for Southend West, told a hustings on Wednesday that Christians were being discriminated against. He was speaking at a hustings organised by a local church, where he attacked equality legislation......

a policy document says UKIP would scrap hate speech legislation which is "cynical social engineering".

still, the tories seem to have no major problem with anti-gay sentiments:

[urlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/02/conservatives-philippa-stroud-gay-cure[/url}

A high-flying prospective Conservative MP, credited with shaping many of the party's social policies, founded a church that tried to "cure" homosexuals by driving out their "demons" through prayer.

Philippa Stroud, who is likely to win the Sutton and Cheam seat on Thursday and is head of the Centre for Social Justice, the thinktank set up by the former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith, has heavily influenced David Cameron's beliefs on subjects such as the family. A popular and energetic Tory, she is seen as one of the party's rising stars.

Anything – drugs, alcohol or homosexuality, they thought you had a demon in you."

Stroud wrote a book, God's Heart for the Poor, in which she explains how to deal with people showing signs of "demonic activity"

nice! perhaps another "leading light" of the party can set up a church to pray to cure autistics & drive their demons out. if the demons don't leave by the power of prayer, perhaps they could try more "direct" methods - like they did in the middle ages :rolleyes:

Edited by KezT

Unfortunately, some of the issues raised here are a consequence of having to vote for a person instead of a party; every party likely has a rotten apple in their barrel and it makes voting an issue if the local candidate for one's preferred party (1) believes some things with which one disagrees and (2) has not formally undertaken to put personal beliefs aside when on the job. On which note it is also worth noting that MPs, like any public servants, have to represent their constituents and sometimes this will involve matters of concience; politicians have to be guided by the party line and civil servants by the law.

The worst case is when two protected rights conflict (e.g., religion vs sexuality) and in such cases a public servant must be prepared to hand a particular case over to somebody else if they simply cannot bring themselves to do it. For example, the business of a magistrate who wanted not to support a gay couple in adopting a straight child; the magistrate had a duty to hand the case to another magistrate and the court had a duty to support him in doing so. Presumably he was sacked because he wouldn't go along with it?

Personally I shall be voting UKIP, mainly because I am fed up with political correctness and the destruction by the EU of our right to govern ourselves, compounded by the fact that the two main parties are both rabid europhiles who are going out of their way to avoid giving the people a referendum on such an important matter. Labour have already lied about a referendum, Tory have already lied about their commitment to one; the only thing I like about the LibDems is their commitment to reform the voting system, which UKIP will do anyway. I don't agree with the designation of "Far-Right", "common sense" is what I would call it; but in any case the local UKIP candidate is not a homophobic christian nutter so I have no problem voting for him.

Edited by Martin Howe

but in any case the local UKIP candidate is not a homophobic christian nutter so I have no problem voting for him.

Sorry but I find this offensive: i.e. the implication that all Christans are homophobic or mad or both. That may be not what you meant but that's how it comes across.

K

Unfortunately, some of the issues raised here are a consequence of having to vote for a person instead of a party; every party likely has a rotten apple in their barrel and it makes voting an issue if the local candidate for one's preferred party (1) believes some things with which one disagrees and (2) has not formally undertaken to put personal beliefs aside when on the job. On which note it is also worth noting that MPs, like any public servants, have to represent their constituents and sometimes this will involve matters of concience; politicians have to be guided by the party line and civil servants by the law.

The worst case is when two protected rights conflict (e.g., religion vs sexuality) and in such cases a public servant must be prepared to hand a particular case over to somebody else if they simply cannot bring themselves to do it. For example, the business of a magistrate who wanted not to support a gay couple in adopting a straight child; the magistrate had a duty to hand the case to another magistrate and the court had a duty to support him in doing so. Presumably he was sacked because he wouldn't go along with it?

Personally I shall be voting UKIP, mainly because I am fed up with political correctness and the destruction by the EU of our right to govern ourselves, compounded by the fact that the two main parties are both rabid europhiles who are going out of their way to avoid giving the people a referendum on such an important matter. Labour have already lied about a referendum, Tory have already lied about their commitment to one; the only thing I like about the LibDems is their commitment to reform the voting system, which UKIP will do anyway. I don't agree with the designation of "Far-Right", "common sense" is what I would call it; but in any case the local UKIP candidate is not a homophobic christian nutter so I have no problem voting for him.

UKIPs education policies include bringing back corporal punishment, a two tier grammer/secondary modern system, removal of the national curriculum, removal of any sex, drug or relationship education in schools, control of schools would be "franchised" out to private companies, charities, etc. Ofsted and local education authorities would be abolished and their responsibilities handed to governing bodies. Ukip would re-examine the policy of including children with special needs in ordinary state schools, which it believes has failed. It would support special schools for children with learning difficulties. Ukip also says that children with "severe physical handicaps" should be educated in special schools.

Did you hear Lord Whatsisface from UKIP on one of the flagship news programs on radio 4 the other day? His big chance to explain what his party stood for, so it would have helped if he'd actually boned up on his own party's policies first. Every time he was asked a probing question requiring a detailed answer he floundered completely. "I'm not a career politician" he kept saying. :rolleyes:

K x

Your post is slightly contradicting you first say how people are having to vote for a person not necessarily the party i.e I love David Cameron therefore I will vote for him even though I dont like conservatives or I like conservatives but dont like Cameron,but at the end you say you have no problem voting for your local UKIP candidate so it seems you are equally "pulled" by the whole personality agenda.

Like Kathryn I also find your comments offensive.By the way I dont have issues with people voting for whoever they wish to and I wont attck you cause of it but it is very important to have political correctness,some cases yes it is over the top(like the villages and towns that cant put up christmas lights cause of offending others,thats mad)but my kids have been subject to racial abuse just for being mixed race and if there were no laws to help me fight against those racists that what future would my children have?and how is it a fair society?

I came of age in the 1980's when a political dinosaur called Margaret Thatcher still stalked the earth and legislation like the infamous 'Clause 28' and the banning of Unions at GCHQ found it's way onto the statute book.

For many people of my generation voting Tory seems like an act of betrayal, and whatever the ins and outs of the parties current policies I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it.

The problem with parties like UKIP, apart from the Xenophobic undertones that make me very uncomfortable, is that they only seem to have an idea of what they are against not what they are for, leaving no idea of how they would run the country if elected.

As I live in the 3rd safest Labour seat in the country, none of the above makes any difference to the result. One of our neighbours is standing for the Green party and asked me to be one of hs nominees so I feel morally obliged to vote for him in the sure and certain knowledge it will make no difference to anything!

Simon

Am really struggling now - was seriously thinking of voting for local MP that I've met and like even though I don't much like her party - Conservative. Then Kerre said he'd seen a Conservative poster the other day with a BNP sticker on it and wondered why they'd bothered as it was like "Pooing on poo". Struck a chord with me so am back to the drawing board with 24 hours to go. Feel I must vote but really dithering and have watched all the debates, politics programmes, etc.

AAArrrrggghhhh!!!

i think its important to seperate hate crimes and political correctness.

political correctness - being told you can't put up christmas lights incase it offends someone

hate crime - being attacked (physically/verbally etc) because of being different.

the two have become tightly linked when if you ask them seperately most people would say they are in favour of hate-crime legislation, while most would also say they've had enough of political correctness. life would be so much easier and law would be much better if you didn't have to tie straight cucumbers and kids christmas plays in with someone being attacked for having a different colour skin. i generally find that the people who want to lump the two in together are white, straight, reasonably successful in whatever their life is and have no idea what its like to be chased round the playground while people scream hateful things at you. they also reply with the phrase 'sticks and stones' which is about the dumbest rhyme i've ever heard.

i've also always wondered what those 'homophobic christian nutters' would do with the homosexual christian population.

interestingly our seat is so very conservative that the only leaflet we've recieved through the post is for UKIP noone else is bothering, including the conservatives!

interestingly our seat is so very conservative that the only leaflet we've recieved through the post is for UKIP noone else is bothering, including the conservatives!

Much the same here NobbyNobbs, we've seen no leaflets and no sign of anyone (not that I mind :) )

Just wondering how I'm going to fit voting into my very busy day tomorrow. My polling station is a local primary school which is not very convenient to get to. I think it will have to be quite late in the evening when I get home from work and have had something to eat.

The system is so old fashioned - I wish they'd come up with a more convenient way of doing it so that you didn't have to go out of your way to get to your polling booth - no wonder people don't vote. You should be able to vote anywhere that is convenient: at a supermarket or near your place of work for example, or ideally over a weekend, in my opinion.

K x

i think its important to seperate hate crimes and political correctness.

political correctness - being told you can't put up christmas lights incase it offends someone

hate crime - being attacked (physically/verbally etc) because of being different.

the two have become tightly linked when if you ask them seperately most people would say they are in favour of hate-crime legislation, while most would also say they've had enough of political correctness. life would be so much easier and law would be much better if you didn't have to tie straight cucumbers and kids christmas plays in with someone being attacked for having a different colour skin. i generally find that the people who want to lump the two in together are white, straight, reasonably successful in whatever their life is and have no idea what its like to be chased round the playground while people scream hateful things at you. they also reply with the phrase 'sticks and stones' which is about the dumbest rhyme i've ever heard.

i've also always wondered what those 'homophobic christian nutters' would do with the homosexual christian population.

I dont agree with you that political correctness and hate crimes should be separated.By not being politically correct someone can offend somone else,this has happened to my husband, and it can be very hurtful and in some cases can lead to depression,my husband had to leave his job cause of it.An example would be the Noddy stories with the "G's" I totally get why that is offensive.So if someone offends someone in that way if they were to report them that may be seen as a hate crime.So in my opinion(given the fact I am married to a black man and have four children so have the first hand experience)the two go hand in hand.

However that is not to say all forms of political correctness are justified.If you travel to certain countries abroad you have to adhere to their dress code as a mark of respect so this country founded on christian values and certain traditions should not lose this cause of people coming in from abroad.That is what I love about the country and why I came here,everyone is able to practise their own faith and generally we live in harmony.I dont see why being openly christian is something for others to be offended by.

Just wondering how I'm going to fit voting into my very busy day tomorrow. My polling station is a local primary school which is not very convenient to get to. I think it will have to be quite late in the evening when I get home from work and have had something to eat.

The system is so old fashioned - I wish they'd come up with a more convenient way of doing it so that you didn't have to go out of your way to get to your polling booth - no wonder people don't vote. You should be able to vote anywhere that is convenient: at a supermarket or near your place of work for example, or ideally over a weekend, in my opinion.

K x

Know that feeling, think I have decided not to brave polling with 2 monsters in tow and face the 'after work' evening rush instead!

K x

Most people do not work close to home, so being able to cast your vote somewhere else would be easier for a lot of people. Alternatively, you could have registered for a postal vote.

I know what you mean K, but there's something about going to the local school or whatever - somehow I always find it very moving.

Our MP has done v good work for carers & autism issues, & we are a key marginal, so my vote actually means something. I haven't been this interested in years as there's still no real indication of who will get in.

I'm quite lucky that the local polling place is just at the end of the road. Got an NAS thing the same day and have to get the train quite early so glad that it is so close so can vote before I have to head off for the train.

You can apply to vote by post, although my polling card came after the deadline for registering for this. :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to (I assume illegally) cast a few extra votes, there's a stack of polling cards (I'd say at least 100) at the reception to my halls that students who aren't voting for whatever reason haven't bothered to collect. :shame:

As I live in the 3rd safest Labour seat in the country, none of the above makes any difference to the result. One of our neighbours is standing for the Green party and asked me to be one of hs nominees so I feel morally obliged to vote for him in the sure and certain knowledge it will make no difference to anything!

I thought you lived in the one and only constituency in England to just have Labour, Conservative, and Lib-Dem on the ballot slip.

What will actually happen and what do I have to do when I go to vote tomorrow? :unsure: This will be the first time I've voted.

I have my polling card, but it just says where to go, not what to do.

Do I have to take any ID? If so, what type?

How long will it take? Will I have to queue?

What will actually happen and what do I have to do when I go to vote tomorrow? :unsure: This will be the first time I've voted.

I have my polling card, but it just says where to go, not what to do.

Do I have to take any ID? If so, what type?

How long will it take? Will I have to queue?

Thanks for asking these questions I was going to ask the same :thumbs:

I am taking my passport just in case.I am going between 1pm and 3pm,when the baby naps so my neighbour will watch the kids,its really close 3min walk so hope I can get there and back in maximum 30min :)

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/how_do_i_vote...alkthrough.aspx :)

I thought you did need ID, but apparently not.

You may have to queue if you go at a busy time. I reckon the early afternoon would be the quietest time, after lunch, but before anyone goes on the way to the school run.

It should only take a minute or two.

Thanks Tally :thumbs:

So if you don't need ID, someone really could come along and take the 100 or so unclaimed students' polling cards and use them and just claim to be the person named on the card. :o That doesn't seem a very safe system.

I thought you lived in the one and only constituency in England to just have Labour, Conservative, and Lib-Dem on the ballot slip.

You are right! I signed the form for him a few weeks ago but it looks like he didn't follow through.

You are right! I signed the form for him a few weeks ago but it looks like he didn't follow through.

I have wondered why that constituency is so unpopular with the small parties.

my twin deaf blind brother postal voted as he looked up policial policies and parties on the net what they are proposing to happen to make our country better place and improvement lol my dad always votes no matter what! and talks to policitions when turn up at our house on doorstep they are there for hours normaly as they are intergated and grilled senseless until go mad and crazy and had enough! they put off others tunring up via word of mouth my mum hasn't voted in ags yonks! i watched polictics on TV before and i really don't get it understand i get confused like forgein language half of it do they speak english! and never do what they say going to do! i don't want seem lazy pathetic making excuses should i just vote just sake of it and not really know what it about bit complicated bit of minefield ..... too messy and merky for me that underworld ... too involved i feel angry i can't make an effort ... but feel be waste of time pointless .... there's so much technical stuff with it information going everywhere blows my mind away! is it just me being weird strange or do others struggle with this too?!

XKLX

polictics i know societies reality how much actually put into practice and comes true?! it's so frustrating i find when going into polictics my attention and concentration slids massively i want to be interested but for some reason can't! i don't find it exciting find it drags! and every party says what they want you to here so you vote for them! not party for this country! will i ever understand behind polictics morals behind as get older wiser or will i always find it hard?! i don't get why i find hard to take in information is it processing difficulties?! find it annoying as would like to put my say via party towards society where do i start be to shy and anxious to talk to local MP's scary thought....! what possibilities leave me with next time?! as left it too late for this time round! i know personal choice and decision and right of everyone out there! feel so bad guilty!

XKX

That's great Science Geek - really useful. Maybe we should all read these simplified versions and stop listening to them speak. :)

And now for something completely different - for fans of LOLCATS we now have...

lolcleggz

K x :D