zaman

The autistic me: one year on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s5...Me_One_Year_On/

Sheer chance that I saw this last night. Really good programme, which went back to revisit the lives of the people shown last year. I wanted to phone Asda and berate them for letting Oli down so badly.

The next programme which they advertised in their autism series was called 'the autistic driving school', it will be on Thursday 29 April at 9pm.

Here is a link to the BBC3 site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/pages/autism/

Edited by zaman

I watched it :thumbs: It was nice to see what has happened in the past year.I was especially pleased for Ollie for getting his independence its a shame he hasnt found a job though.

what did you think of my part?

were happy with the programme it were a shame they cut out the song run the song i can sing. i actually were embarrased them showing me kiss on tv. mum said the programe were OK, just OK fine with me, but she then said you snogged. Mum u dont have to embarrass me even more.

I think its successful it might reach BBC 1 again. The repeat will be on april 25th, bbc 3, 9pm. Also available on Iplayer.

Yes again I watched the one at 9pm and the one at 11:50pm.

I hope they do a 3rd one seems unfinished at the moment i thought he would voice over where im living and he didnt.

were happy with the programme it were a shame they cut out the song run the song i can sing. i actually were embarrased them showing me kiss on tv. mum said the programe were OK, just OK fine with me, but she then said you snogged. Mum u dont have to embarrass me even more.

I think its successful it might reach BBC 1 again. The repeat will be on april 25th, bbc 3, 9pm. Also available on Iplayer.

I hope they do a 3rd one seems unfinished at the moment i thought he would voice over where im living and he didnt.

You were great :thumbs: Like your giggle.It made me giggle too.

I honestly thought your bit was great Special talent. I was particularly please that you have been introduced as a part of the programme, as it helped the gender balance. It was also really heartening for me as a mum to see a relationship developing. Although how on earth you are both going to cope with that distance and travel expense I don't know. Fingers crossed for you both. (I thought the programme was more than OK, but then if that was my child snogging on national TV I might think otherwise . . . )

Good luck - and keep us updated!

Haven't watched yet but recorded to watch over the w/e. Missed the begining ten mins or so so will have to watch on I player if it seems important.

The teeny tiny bit i did watch to check the recording showed the guy living in supported accommodation just about to show the camera crew his room ('bit untidy - quite normal for a young man' :thumbs: ) so is there anything improtant before that?

Not sure about 'autism driving school'... sounds a bit channel 5 to me (?) Still, best wait n see.

Slight mixed feelings about an 'autism season' or whatever that seems to be going on at the mo. I'm all for knowledge etc, but I'd like to see it in a more natural way, perhaps with autistic peeps appearing on regular shows (NOT ******* X Factor of Britain's Got) rather than 'autism specials'. Ho hum... we can dream...

As the great Mr Dury said all those years ago - a 'year of the disabled is an insult, because every other year we can just pretend they don't exist'. :wallbash:

L&P

BD :D

I thought the program was brilliant. :thumbs: I didn't agree with the "It may not be our preconcieved idea of what is a boyfriend/girlfriend" I thought it was a bit patronising? I saw the young couple, and every part of their relationship and feelings were definately my preconcieved ideas of boyfriend/girlfriend. Good luck to them. It's nice to see them happy :clap:

As for Ollie, I thought last year it was such a shame. Someone so willing to work, and being refused work. Despite that, Ollie was so happy, but this year, with still being unable to get a job, seems so down.

Overall the program was really positive. It showed more ups than downs I feel. So good to see so much positive in this program, and young people working so hard to make the most of themselves. It is very reassuring, and inspiring as well. :thumbs:

:tearful: And that's not in a patronising 'oh, didn't they do well' sort of way, it's because at last I've seen something on TV that didn't patronise, didn't play it up or play it down but just showed some very nice people being very nice people. :tearful:

More of that, please, BBC :thumbs::thumbs:

But what about all that snogging at the end :o:whistle:;)

Feel a bit churlish for picking up on a couple of points because the rest of it was so good, but it was disheartening for me that the only negatives seemed to be coming from the mums involved. :( I can fully appreciate how Alex's mum might have mixed feelings about him becoming more independent and she did acknowledge herself that it was her 'problem' not his, so that was good. I found Tom's mum's negativity about his future prospects upsetting, though, because I didn't see anything in Tom's make up to suggest that he couldn't achieve the kind of things she was saying she couldn't see for him. Seeing him moving forward after all that crushing isolation at college suggests to me he has reserves that she has every right to be proud of.

I hope if any execs for that ******* supermarket were watching they can see the flaws in their recruitment programme and plug them. No way to treat anyone, but in this instance particularly inconsiderate :angry:

Anyone who missed this - particularly if your exposure to autism TV so far has been that 'other' show that's currently running - watch this on I-Player.

L&P

Oh - did anyone notice that all of them had lovely senses of humour? I particularly enjoyed Tom's very dry, deadpan reply to

'What do you guys do for lunch?'

'Erm... sometimes we eat...' :):lol:

Big :thumbs: from me, thought you were really good Special talent :clap:, and overall the program :thumbs: it made

me smile a lot, it was good to see you guys and girl one year on, mostly in a positive way. Hope Ollie get's that job he

deserves, a really funny/nice guy.

Teresa :)

I think Oli is too good for Asda.

Why is it that someone like him, is shunted off to do a work trial, stacking shelves, when he was obviously suited to the work he was doing at The British Library. Not only that, it ws quite clear that is colleagues there, valued him highly.

Special Talent...You were good too. Will we be having a documentary next year ,called " Autistic Wedding," I wonder ???

I really thought Tom wasn't going to make it with his move to Cornwall. It was lovely to see how music provided that bridge, enabling him to come out of depression and make new friends.

I hear that there will be a further season of documentaries. One is about a neurotypical person in a family of autistic people, another about girls/women on the spectrum. I can't remember what the other one was.

Young Autistic Stagestruck April 24th

the autistic driving school April 29th BBC 3, May 29th

the autistic prom 29th May BBC 3

Autism Disco and Me May 6th BBC 3

Autistic Superstars 13th May BBC 3, 20th May

Young Autistic Stagestruck April 24th

the autistic driving school April 29th BBC 3, May 29th

the autistic prom 29th May BBC 3

Autism Disco and Me May 6th BBC 3

Autistic Superstars 13th May BBC 3, 20th May

*Shudders* :(

Maybe it's just me and feeling a little 'sensitive' about being singled out, but I do wonder if such programmes do more harm than good. :unsure: Why not just have a programme about a Prom where a proportionate representation of the characters (so about 1%) are Autistic, ditto with driving and discos (unless this is a play on words - disco dancing for 'normals', disco assessments for Autistics :lol:) and superheros ("When Eric eats a banana, he becomes ... Autistic" :huh:). I don't see this singling out being done for other disabilities or medical conditions - the diabetic driving school, the pimples prom, the dyslexic disco, the sneezy superheros (who fly around the world to keep ahead of the pollen season :lol:) - in fact these all seem totally daft - so why is it done and taken as acceptable to do this with Autism?

Maybe it's just me and feeling a little 'sensitive' about being singled out, but I do wonder if such programmes do more harm than good. :unsure: Why not just have a programme about a Prom where a proportionate representation of the characters (so about 1%) are Autistic, ditto with driving and discos (unless this is a play on words - disco dancing for 'normals', disco assessments for Autistics :lol:) and superheros ("When Eric eats a banana, he becomes ... Autistic" :huh:). I don't see this singling out being done for other disabilities or medical conditions - the diabetic driving school, the pimples prom, the dyslexic disco, the sneezy superheros (who fly around the world to keep ahead of the pollen season :lol:) - in fact these all seem totally daft - so why is it done and taken as acceptable to do this with Autism?

I agree Mumble,these titles put me off really.However I will watch them if I can just to see what they are about as the titles may be slightly over the top.

The other day I saw the newspaper headline "Victims of the volcanic ash" it was about all the passengers unable to fly due to the ash but I thought the word "Victim" was pretty strong to use in the context,I do feel for them but I dont see them as being Victims :unsure:

I guess they are trying to raise some sort of awareness for autism,it may be in the wrong way but I feel as though it is something.My brother had a stroke at a young age and he would love for them to show something on telly on young people who have suffered strokes,even though he may disagree with some of what they say.

I've not seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it based on the (mostly) positive responses here.

Thing is Mumble, autism is fascinating to people. A brain condition that, whilst it has confirmed diagnostic criteria, affects individuals so differently. Something like a diabetic driving school - what would you do with that? Whereas, the processing issues that autistic individuals can have is really important when it comes to driving, to the extent that whilst some autistic individuals can drive perfectly well, others would find it too overwhelming. If JP had been learning now rather that a couple of years back I'd have been watching it for useful information, things we might not have thought about.

I think it's good that there's interest being shown. Sometimes the progs get it wrong, sometimes they get it right, but what is coming across loud & clear in all of them that the individuals involved are just that - individuals - not a set of symptoms. I think that anything that helps to dispel the Rainman myth is on the whole a good thing.

Thing is Mumble, autism is fascinating to people. A brain condition that, whilst it has confirmed diagnostic criteria, affects individuals so differently. Something like a diabetic driving school - what would you do with that? Whereas, the processing issues that autistic individuals can have is really important when it comes to driving, to the extent that whilst some autistic individuals can drive perfectly well, others would find it too overwhelming. If JP had been learning now rather that a couple of years back I'd have been watching it for useful information, things we might not have thought about.

I think it's good that there's interest being shown. Sometimes the progs get it wrong, sometimes they get it right, but what is coming across loud & clear in all of them that the individuals involved are just that - individuals - not a set of symptoms. I think that anything that helps to dispel the Rainman myth is on the whole a good thing.

Is it fascinating to people outside of the Autism world (i.e. those without Autism themselves or a family member with Autism)? I don't know how interested people with no connection are. I'm too involved within the Autism world to know what an outsider might think. I'm not sure that if there was a programme entitled "Downs, Disco and Me" I would be rushing to watch it, as I have no personal connection/interest. We know Autism affects people differently - but do 'outsiders'? Are there other conditions that affect people differently - would these be as interesting? OK, accepted 'The Diabetic Driving School' was a bad example (although we have had just "The Driving School" - remember Colleen was it with rather a large number of re-takes?) - I shall avoid alliteration over more appropriate examples in future :lol: - the processing issues you refer to are important, but again that's coming from an 'insider' perspective. I doubt many outside of Autism would even consider this.

I absolutely agree that anything that dispels the Rainman myth is good. My concern is that we run the risk of replacing Rainman with another/other myths because such programmes can never do justice to the individuality of Autism (by the very nature of the programme) and the programme participants (perhaps more in terms of parents of Autistic children/young adults) are likely to be skewed towards certain perspectives rather than representative of the whole Autism population.

Well, I find autism in its many & varied forms really interesting. And, thinking back, I did before JP was dx'd. I remember watching Rainman (sorry!) & being fascinated by it, & finding out info about the guy the film was based on. And when JP started showing signs, that film actually did me a favour as it did alert me to autistic symptoms earlier than if I'd known nothing.

Anecdotally, just talking to peeps over the years, I do find there's a strong interest in some folk, even if they've had no direct experience of it. Because once you know even a little about it, it is interesting, this 'hidden' condition that can affect people so profoundly, & so differently from individual to individual. And, ok, folk might not know beforehand about processing issues etc. & how they might affect driving - but surely that's the point? At the end of the prog, they will, & hopefully if they have an autistic colleague or whatever, have a little more insight into their world.

I do agree that in an ideal world autism should just be 'there' in programmes as part of life. I remember there was an AS character in Grange Hill a few years back, is that the kind of thing you mean? I've also noticed that Coronation St has introduced disabled characters over the last couple of years. There's a deaf character (the actress is deaf in RL) & the important thing is, her character isn't 'issue led' - her deafness is only alluded to in context, she is treated exactly like the rest of the cast in terms of storylines. I've also noticed peeps with Downs given walk-on parts, & recently a wheelchair user turned up in the Rover's return & was given a few lines. She was a really feisty character & I wondered whether she was being introduced as a regular. I hope so.

Oh gawd, I'm rambling, I'll shut up now :lol:

Pass. I'm not sure what the question was, but pass anyway. :lol: Maybe it's just a case that some people are interested and some people aren't? I wonder (really typing off the top of my head here) if my issue is, because of the individuality you highlight, that with other conditions it's either something that affects people so profoundly or so insignificantly in the specific context that you would either expect them not to be treated differently at all or to be treated totally differently, but with Autism such neat categories don't exist and each individual could move between categories depending on context, yet assumptions from some programmes may be of 'always can do this', 'always can't do the other'. :unsure:

I do agree that in an ideal world autism should just be 'there' in programmes as part of life. I remember there was an AS character in Grange Hill a few years back, is that the kind of thing you mean? I've also noticed that Coronation St has introduced disabled characters over the last couple of years. There's a deaf character (the actress is deaf in RL) & the important thing is, her character isn't 'issue led' - her deafness is only alluded to in context, she is treated exactly like the rest of the cast in terms of storylines. I've also noticed peeps with Downs given walk-on parts, & recently a wheelchair user turned up in the Rover's return & was given a few lines. She was a really feisty character & I wondered whether she was being introduced as a regular. I hope so.

It's difficult because other disabilities are more visible so they can be included without direct reference. However, as soon as you include a disabled character, whether the story is about the disability or not, it becomes about the disability because of human nature; we notice difference. It would perhaps be wrong to put in a disabled character and not have the other characters comment upon or notice the disability because this wouldn't be what happens in real life. In real life, people notice and people make judgements. I don't watch Coronation Street or The Rover's Return, so I haven't seen how these characters are portrayed, but these are disabilities where it is soon obvious that there is a difference (as an aside, is deafness considered a hidden disability as you can't see it?) and an adapted approach is needed.

I don't think I've answered anything there, just confused myself more. :rolleyes:

right the BBC ask a specific company to make autism documentaries. so one company focussing particular in the documentary, the next on others. The BBC give the production the money to make the film which has only got to be 1 hour long.

like the autistic me the credits are firecrackerfilms the money BBC give the money to them they use to make the film and travel. and it takes forever to make trust me i know i werent filmed firstly after the documentary were given a 2nd go ahead even though i were filmed in november and february they did start the follow up couple months after we were on t.v as we were successful. NAS have been working together with BBC to create more awareness.

Hi again -

Mumble as you can see from my post above about 'Autistic Driving School' and 'Autistic seasons' that by and large I'm in agreement with you on this stuff. Proportional, realistic representations of autism and autistic/nt#s working together is, IMO a far better way to go than programmes that are made for curiosity appeal or to 'make a point' by very selective editing and selection of participants.

I agree with Pearl that autism is quite fascinating - but the fascination, particularly for the general public, lies in the extreme and speculative aspects of autistic behaviour rather than the reality of autistic people being part of wider society and on the way their lives are lived on a daily basis. That's perfectly natural, and I think any show that didn't cater to that 'curiosity' would attract few viewers... But I don't think that kind of portrayal 'helps' autistic people very much at all, because it perpetuates rather than challenging the preconceptions that already exist and the models of disability ('heroic, tragic, victimised, incapable' etc etc) that just about all other disabilities have worked hard to eliminate over the last couple of decades.

Even in this very well made film there were elements of 'awwwww, ent they sweet'/isn't it sad/brave/tragic etc, and while I think that's genuinely because parts were sweet, were sad, were tragic and were brave (and would, therefore, have been true to some extent whether the people involved were autistic or not) that would, for many viewers, be 'ramped up' by existing prejudices and preconceptions that the Beeb were (I think) trying to challenge?

Put that into the context of a badly made show (Like, IMO that other one that keeps trying to incorporate very negative associations into the diagnostic criteria) and it must be damaging on some level, as well as being patronising.

I've said this before (but something worth saying once is always worthy of repeating) But where's 'poor old Pete' from Big Brother got to? Do you remember when the public ADORED him, when he was the most popular member of Britain's (then)biggest reality TV shows and the public voted him the winner?. That was a HUGE boost for the disabled community and for those suffering from tourettes, wasn't it! Erm... wasn't it? Erm......

Thing is, Pete's appeal was for his novelty value, and the novelty quickly - almost instantly - wore off. And that's horrible, because he's still the same bloke who got voted 'Best In House'.

So that's my worry, that sometimes these programmes seem less about autism and more like 'novelty acts'. But disabled peoples lives aren't 'novelty acts', they're real. And they don't bill themselves as Novelty acts (which to be honest even Pete did a little, 'cos he knew exactly what he was signing up for with BB) - they make these shows (mostly, I guess) with very different intentions and are 'wooed' by the tv execs accordingly.

So for me, i'd rather see autistic people in the cast lists of eastenders and corrie (as long as they could act convincingly - no patronisation here!) or as members of teams of families/friends on 'Ant & Dec's Whatever' included because they are family or friend rather than because it worked in the favour of the rest of the teams application form etc. Or I'd like to see one or two well made, honest, realistic documentaries (like this one) a year than a whole 'season' of possibly exploitative and sensationalised 'specials' made to tap into that Curiosity/Novelty vein that will probably quite quickly dry up. The other problem, IMO, is that as the novelty market diminishes production values usually nose-dive too, because you've got to have stuff that's increasingly dramatic to get 'bums on seats' :(

Sorry if I've peed on any bonfires - and again, don't apply any of the above to this film or the peeps in it. But taking the wider view, I really really do think that as far as 'specials' and 'seasons' go less is more, but as far as proportional representation for all the disabled goes there's plenty of room for improvment.

L&P

I wonder (really typing off the top of my head here) if my issue is, because of the individuality you highlight, that with other conditions it's either something that affects people so profoundly or so insignificantly in the specific context that you would either expect them not to be treated differently at all or to be treated totally differently, but with Autism such neat categories don't exist and each individual could move between categories depending on context, yet assumptions from some programmes may be of 'always can do this', 'always can't do the other'

Yep, I know what you mean. One of the things I said to my menfolk when we were watching the 'Stagestruck' prog, that because the spectrum is soooo wide, some of the folks there had very little in common with each other. But again, to be positive, if it makes the public more aware that one autistic person isn't necessarily much like another, then that's good - lessens the 'I've seen Rainman so I know what autistic peeps are like' effect.

Hmm, is deafness 'hidden'? Interesting. The character in Corrie uses both lipreading & signing, so her disability is pretty much out there - thing is, she's such a clever, funny & interesting character who really takes the p*ss out of anyone patronising her that you rapidly don't see her as 'disabled' at all. A rare case of a soap getting it just right, IMO. It helps that the actress is actually deaf, though I don't want to get into that whole arena of 'should only disabled peeps be employed to act their own disablility' cos I honestly don't know about that.

BD, I remember having the BB convo with you quite a while back, tho I think it was about the blind housemate not Pete with Tourettes. I think as you say that awareness is raised for the duration of the show, is quite shallow & probs doesn't last, but maybe it adds to the sum total of awareness, if that makes sense? As far at Tourette's goes, for responsible coverage of another really interesting condition I couldn't praise highly enough the series of documentaries made throughout the life of one guy with it - it was on again recently, can't remember what it was called? I can say without a shadow of a doubt that for me, it most definitely helped me understand this condition.

this is kind of upsetting me your changing the title above the autistic me one year on into other autism documentaries im trying to explain across the meanings and i feel bit left out considering i am an autistic girl its raising awareness. the productions dont title it, bbc ask the production to make a film on certain area of autism

We did have "Tourettes Camp" if my memory serves me well.

I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you - not sure if it's me you are referring to or not. Don't take it personally - these kind of threads often segue into all sorts of interesting tangents. I've not seen the update yet but I'm looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the first one :thumbs:

(edited for incoherent grammar :lol:)

Edited by pearl

im not sure if you missed any of this messages i sent

the BBC ask a specific company to make autism documentaries. so one company focussing particular in the documentary, the next on others. The BBC give the production the money to make the film which has only got to be 1 hour long.

like the autistic me the credits are firecrackerfilms the money BBC give the money to them they use to make the film and travel. and it takes forever to make trust me i know i werent filmed firstly after the documentary were given a 2nd go ahead even though i were filmed in november and february they did start the follow up couple months after we were on t.v as we were successful. NAS have been working together with BBC to create more awareness.

also BBC are the ones who name the documentary and not the production. like the autistic me last year were supposed to be called please let me grow up, then BBC changed it to the autistic me

im not sure if you missed any of this messages i sent

I don't have a problem with these documentaries . I think they are informative, raise awareness etc. It's not sensationalist and the people in it are all different and therefore not sterotyped.

Some documentaries home in on the the extreme cases. I was contacted by a TV company wanting to research prosopangnosia (face blindness). They had been given my name Professor Brad Duchaine who is presently reearching the subject. Of course they soon lost interest when I told them that I could recognise my own face in the mirror and would recognise my parents if I saw them out of context ! So, on one hand, I agree there can be the element of " freak show" surrounding these programmes but I don't think "The Autistic Me" falls in this category. I'm not so sure about "Autistic and Stage Struck" especially we are dealing with children here. Nevertheless, I watched it and will continue to watch it.

this is kind of upsetting me your changing the title above the autistic me one year on into other autism documentaries im trying to explain across the meanings and i feel bit left out considering i am an autistic girl its raising awareness. the productions dont title it, bbc ask the production to make a film on certain area of autism

There is no need to get upset, I think that some members of the forum are taking issue with what they see as the potential of 'sensationalism' of the series, and the worry that it may be taking away from the inclusion of people with autism in mainstream TV.

Having seen the Autistic Me one year on, I'm just happy to have a programme on TV which I felt dealt with the issues which autism can create really well.

Until I actually see the driving school, I don't really think I can comment on if it is a good thing or not. But surely anything that dispells the myth of people with autism as all savants like Rainman must be a good thing.

Adding to the above -

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any negative responses to this programme specifically at all :unsure: Not got time to trawl back through at the mo, but eveb if there is the occasional comment on 'AM1YO' they're very much in the minority. I, and i think a few others, do have wider concerns about how autism is presented on TV sometimes, and concerns that during a 'season' or when autism is seen as something that's 'in', production values might not be up to the standards we've seen here.

L&P

I thought this programme was really good. It didn't seem contrived or patronising.

It was good that they included the thoughts of the parents - whether you agreed with them or not. It would be great if we were all perfect parents but I don't think there are too many perfect people around!

Special Talent - you were really good. Don't feel embarrassed about the kissing!

Btw - regarding Coronation Street - it has been suggested that Roy Cropper might have Asperger's - it has never been directly referred to in the show.

Btw - regarding Coronation Street - it has been suggested that Roy Cropper might have Asperger's - it has never been directly referred to in the show.

Roy is one of my favourite characters :thumbs: hardworking, kind, principled, loyal & completely unafraid to be different. I've loved watching his character develop over the years.

I've heard the AS suggestion before regarding him & can see where it comes from - it would be an interesting storyline if he was to pursue a dx - again, character-led rather than issue-led - Corries' great strength.

Well we watched it tonight, & thought it was really good :thumbs:

Felt very sad for Ollie - but wondered if he should have accepted Asda's offer - ok, they appear to have messed him around, but they might have just been waiting for a suitable vacancy to arise.

Good to see Tom & Alex doing so well :thumbs:

Again, can only comment on the edit, but I was a bit dismayed at some of the parent's comments - Tom's mum saying he'd never cope with anything (or words to that effect) in front of him, & Alex's mum saying she didn't want him to leave home as she didn't like being alone - hardly an encouragement to be independent. I'm not parent-bashing though, it's a balancing act for all of us facing our children growing up.

I just watched it too.

It was nice to see more of Kirsty this time :) I thought you did really well. I hope things work out well for you and Alex.

I wonder if Asda only phoned Ollie because the programme makers contacted them. It's a shame he did not accept their offer, as he did seem to enjoy the work trial there.

It was nice to see Tom making such good progress in his new college, he was even talking about going on to university, having been so very depressed at the beginning of the programme.

Alex seemed like a really nice, sweet guy, but I did feel his relationship with his mother was a bit chlaustrophobic.

Great programme.

A great insight into the lives of the autistic people featured - albeit in singled out areas.

I feel so uplifted by Tom's story, especially since his mum said 'prove me wrong', and he set out to do just that.

Kirsty, you have such an infectious giggle, I loved watching you. And Alex too. I do hope you manage to see more of each other.

I really hope something turns up for Oli; my feeling was that he has a lot to offer but it's difficult for employers to see that.

Lizzie x

Are you Kirsty? wow cool. seeing you on the show got me thinking really as you are my type of girl looks and personality wise but I have recently been diagnosed with aspergers/autism and other disabilties so wonder if on some subconcious level I am attracted to girls like you because of my disabilty if so its very strange as that is my type years before I was told I had disabilities on some level maybe I was picking up myself in the girls I like.