zaman

The autistic me: one year on

I watched it :thumbs: It was nice to see what has happened in the past year.I was especially pleased for Ollie for getting his independence its a shame he hasnt found a job though.

Same here, recorded the repeat and also felt for Ollie, his reaction was similar to mine when i was 18, except i had a breakdown due to my colleges unwillingness to allow me work experience at the same time as the other students. Im so pleased i dont attend that place full time anymore.

I thought the program was brilliant. :thumbs: I didn't agree with the "It may not be our preconceived idea of what is a boyfriend/girlfriend" I thought it was a bit patronising? I saw the young couple, and every part of their relationship and feelings were definitely my preconceived ideas of boyfriend/girlfriend. Good luck to them. It's nice to see them happy :clap:

As for Ollie, I thought last year it was such a shame. Someone so willing to work, and being refused work. Despite that, Ollie was so happy, but this year, with still being unable to get a job, seems so down.

Overall the program was really positive. It showed more ups than downs I feel. So good to see so much positive in this program, and young people working so hard to make the most of themselves. It is very reassuring, and inspiring as well. :thumbs:

Totally agree with you there, my parents (one a dead bully the other a naive asperger) are both autistic and have had 3 fairly happy and healthy children. i was annoyed at ASDA for messing him around. They should have kept him on a work trial until a permanent job had been secured for him.

Well did you know that some people with autism can actually get driving lessons for free.

No how would autistics apply for free driving lessons?

i were only told this by the producer and it only applies to certain people with ASD's

Its ok, it could help other autistics who do get higher rate DLA.

Kirsty i thought you were brilliant! you have such a lovely easy going and caring nature and this really comes over in the film. I was disappointed that olly didnt get a proper job offered but i felt really uplifted by toms story....

I loved the first documentary but i thought it left the audience feeling like it was unfinished in some way..so a catch up was really needed! But I know that next year i will be anxious to know what happened to you all so i do hope there is a further follow up planned.

My son James is the subject of the third codumentary int he season called autism disco and me. originally, like you kirsty, we were told it was being filmed for a stand alone documentary or for a different season and the working title was disco kid..we started filming last summer and finished in december last year. i think the bbc decided to do the follow on of the autistic me about half way through our filming due to the viewing figures being fabulous. Then of course it was decided that they would do a season of 3 or 4 documentaries....this was all done in consultation with the nas.

I partly agree with other people that it would be nice to see autism represented alongside the mainstream..people with autism do seem to be singled out in the media..but i am fine with that as long as it is raising awareness.

The one thing that i hope james's documentary shows is that he is succeeding despite the autism not because of it..that is the feeling i also got from the autistic me documentary...all of the young adults shown were just getting on with life as best they could and suceeding despite their autism, with the exception of tom who had been given a rough deal by prospective employers..which shows that we still need to raise more awareness that these kids and adults can achieve great things if they are given the opportunities and support.

also congratulations on your blog Kirsty on the bbc website..I read it with interest. Where can i read a copy of the book you are writing? Is it published elsewhere on the net?

speak soon and best wishes for your future kirsty.

hi scoot thank you and my book isnt finished its going to take years but when i am finished NAS have said they will help me find publishers.

wow..that sounds exciting..you will be a published author!

I will be reserving a copy...when you are a famous author i hope you'll remember your mates on this forum and sign a few copies for us.

Wow Kirsty...you are famous! You are doing a lot of good work that deals with important issues for young people with disabilities..i have just read the article in the link you posted...Good on you! Keep up the good work.

Well done, i was in Womans weekly years ago speaking about my autism. But i wouldn't have my picture in there.

Well done, i was in Womans weekly years ago speaking about my autism. But i wouldn't have my picture in there.

hey womans weekly that is one of the glossy ones!!!! Very nice!!

i was never in any newspapers until late last year when james went into got to dance..we didnt even know any of us were mentioned or pictured until nas rang us to ask if we wanted to give a media statement..lol...it would have been nice for gtd media office to have rung us at least to say they gave our story to the papers.

james hasnt been in a magazine yet..but i think he is featured in the tv ones for next week..i will have to go the shops and but them all to see which ones..lol

scoot i been in NAS Website last year dont know where thats gone and this year www.autism.org.uk/theautisticme

I think that is fantastic...you are a brilliant ambassador for autistic adults everywhere....and keep writing that book!

sheilax

I have to say , Kirsty, that I was sitting here going 'Aww!' when Alex gave you those gifts- how thoughtful was he, getting you the dolphin necklace because you like dolphins? Many blokes far older than him could learn a thing or two, I think!! And you have a lovely voice, young lady- yet another talent alongside being an author, hey? Well done!

I must say, I'm thrilled for Tom- his successes are growing and he looked far happier than last time we saw him- long may it continue!

And hopefully Oli will have his diabetes under control again soon, and be offered a job. My heart goes out to him, it's really rather sickening when you consider the amount of adults across this country who are perfectly content to sit on their butts all day....and there's Oli, desperate to get work of any sort and he can't get a job....something'll come up soon, I hope.

I was so cheered up by this update programme, well done to all concerned.