Sign in to follow this  
concernedmummy

Statementing

Hi all, not posted for a while but always having a good read of the posts which are very helpful.

My DS who has just turned 3 was diagnosed in March with ASD after a few months of seeing various professionals.

My query now is when and if I should look to have a statement in place for him. He will be starting pre school in September (mainstream) and I am concerned at how he will get on as although he is understanding much more he is way behind his peers.

I have spoken to his Portage worker and she says he won't need a statement, that there will likely be extra staff in his class for other children and these extra staff will be able to give him help.

Any advice would be great as I am sure he will fall behind very quickly because of his problems.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by concernedmummy

Hi

I am actually going through the statementing process at the moment.This is a toughie,on the one hand I think he is quite young it is hard to say how far behind he is in theory,how did you come to this conclusion? Is he going to playgroup or similar at the moment?

Then at the same time if he is going to struggle it may be worth while starting the process,however it would be best to wait until next school year(Seotember) as it takes 26 weeks(6mths) and thats providing it goes smoothly.I do think in hindsight I may have started Sams when he was 4 1/2 thats when I could see the problems,but he only got his dx last Dec(age 6)now he is severe problems and we have to wait 6mths to get things sorted,its not a situation I would want anyone to be in.

So that the statutory assesment wont be rejected you will need evidence of how he struggles and what help he will need,preferably ed psych reports,autism outreach reports,reports from the HT etc.So I think it may be wise to wait even until Jan 2011 because then he would have been there a good few mths so can give everyone a better picture of where hes at.

Hi, thanks for the reply. He is behind in his language and his communication, he is under salt but has not been seen since October (I am chasing this!!).

He can understand simple instructions now ie. put the paper in the bin but struggles to understand other conversation, so my biggest worry is how he will manage in a classroom environment. Socially he will play where there are other children but will not play with them, just alongside them.

I understand what you are saying about waiting until January but going by the timescales for getting a statement he would be starting reception by the time any help was in place. It is difficult to know what to do really, I just want to ensure that going to school is a positive experience for him and that he has whatever help may be needed to ensure he can reach his full potential.

He is in a nursery at the moment, but he doesn't present many problems as he is very quiet and just 'does his own thing'.

Edited by concernedmummy

Hi, thanks for the reply. He is behind in his language and his communication, he is under salt but has not been seen since October (I am chasing this!!).

He can understand simple instructions now ie. put the paper in the bin but struggles to understand other conversation, so my biggest worry is how he will manage in a classroom environment. Socially he will play where there are other children but will not play with them, just alongside them.

I understand what you are saying about waiting until January but going by the timescales for getting a statement he would be starting reception by the time any help was in place. It is difficult to know what to do really, I just want to ensure that going to school is a positive experience for him and that he has whatever help may be needed to ensure he can reach his full potential.

I don't think the advice you've been given is helpful. Basically you've been told not to seek help for your son in the 'expectation' that he will be able to get the help he needs by taking it off any support in place for other children. When you see it like that you can see the holes in that idea!! For example, if I have a toddler that is supposed to have xxx hours support which is itemised in the Statement, then I will make sure my child gets it and that it is not diluted by his 'helper' having to support your child.

The Statementing process takes a total of 26 weeks (just over 6 months). If you don't agree with what the LEA proposed, then you go to tribunal (another 6 months).

By the time you get a Statement in place, your child will be about to start school. If he is going to need support in school then he needs a Statement BEFORE he starts. If he will not cope in a mainstream school then he needs a Statement to get a place at any special school.

My son really began to struggle in nursery, because he simply wanted to do what he wanted to do. From age 3+ they have to conform and join in with the daily schedule (which becomes more and more like a school reception year timetable). My son could not do that and became very unhappy. He was not formally diagnosed until he was 6.

If he has difficulty with accessing whole class learning, then he is going to start to fall further and further behind his peers. The further behind he gets, the harder it is to catch up.

Yes I would say you should do it.All I am saying is to wait at least until September,it is only 14 weeks left of school so you wont get a statement by the time he starts in Sept anyway and like I have said if you dont have evidence then they likely to reject it then you have to wait a furthur 6 mths.It is best to do it when you have as much evidence as possible.

Hopefully the SALT will give you there report soon,its one thing to tick off :)

You are lucky you have seen the problems now so that he can get the help soon,I wish you all the luck and hope he will enjoy school >:D<<'>

Keep us updated to.

Thanks for the reply Sally, I agree, I would not be happy if I had managed to get a statement only for another child to be having the benefit (nothing against any other kids!!)

I really don't want him to fall behind, he is a clever little boy, but like your son wants to do what he wants when he wants!!!

I am hoping that now he has his diagnosis that it will make getting him help a little easier although I do realise that is not always the case.

Justine, I already have one report from SALT that says that he does not have a delay with his language but a disorder, his consultant said that the SALT report was a big part in his diagnosis. Would I need further reports from SALT??? The reason that I am trying to get him seen by them again is that I am really concerned about his communication (or lack of) and would like to be given some strategies that may help.

I will have a think about when to start the process, although ideally I agree with Sally that it would be best to have it in place before he starts in reception.

Just another question, can you get a statement for children for pre school??

Thanks for the reply Sally, I agree, I would not be happy if I had managed to get a statement only for another child to be having the benefit (nothing against any other kids!!)

I really don't want him to fall behind, he is a clever little boy, but like your son wants to do what he wants when he wants!!!

I am hoping that now he has his diagnosis that it will make getting him help a little easier although I do realise that is not always the case.

Justine, I already have one report from SALT that says that he does not have a delay with his language but a disorder, his consultant said that the SALT report was a big part in his diagnosis. Would I need further reports from SALT??? The reason that I am trying to get him seen by them again is that I am really concerned about his communication (or lack of) and would like to be given some strategies that may help.

I will have a think about when to start the process, although ideally I agree with Sally that it would be best to have it in place before he starts in reception.

Just another question, can you get a statement for children for pre school??

Yes, children in nursery can and do have Statements.

I don't know how they set targets and monitor progress in nursery. Is it still using IEPs??

If you ask for an assessment towards a Statement then the LEA will ask all professionals to assess your child anyway. BUT you can also speak to and write to the specific professional about your concerns. For example you could request that a SALT experienced in ASDs and speech disorders assesses ALL aspects of your childs speech and communication as well as social communication and interaction skills. Social communication is also the remit of the SALT.

And if your child has a speech disorder, then there is a higher possibility that they may have learning difficulties as well. That doesn't mean low cognitive function. It means that the same difficulties he had acquiring speech with all the difficulties with comprehension, inference, narratives, etc etc will have some impact on his reading ability per se and his ability to gather information from reading or auditory information and manipulate it to produce what the classwork is requesting.

For example being able to re-tell the story of goldilocks is one thing. Being able to understand that it is not the bears who were bad, but goldilocks because she should not have been in the bears house, is another thing. And being able to re-tell the story from baby bears point of view is yet another issue. Or asking the same questions of the story Jack and the Bean Stalk. Was the Ogre the bad one, or was it Jack who kept stealing his stuff??

Children with language disorders find it much harder to 'glean' the information needed from reading or listening to verbal information. I know that is way off in the future. But believe me, time flies. I remember being where you are and my son is now 9!

I would just like to add that now is the time to begin your paper trail. Make notes of everything he does and says that can be produced to underline his difficulties in accessing ALL aspects of life, not just the educational ones.

At this point it is impossible to know what evidence will prove crucial in the future whilst fighting (and it will be a fight) to get the help and support you ALL need. A simple journal that you can add one liners plus the date will be absolutely invaluable.

Plus you will be asked, when were his first words, first sentence, first walked, rolled over sat unaided etc. I wasn't asked these questions until J was 11, it is very hard to remember then, so make notes now.

When we were at our tribunal the judges were very keen to hear our evidence on how J struggled with everything and it was useful to be able to prove how long and just how much he had struggled by being able to refer to our notes (which also got him assessed in the first place).

You will have a huge battle as even the SENCOs will try to tell you that you don't need a statement and that all his needs will be met. Sadly this happens only to a very few lucky children who end up in front of enlightened teachers who will go the extra mile. Plus most teachers struggle with the other 20 - 30 different ability kids in their class.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I hope the above will help.

Good luck!