pearl

Autistic driving school

Just a reminder.

It has a very positive preview in the RT, so fingers crossed.

Also, the driving instructor is apparently the only one in the country with a dx herself.

:thumbs: :thumbs: Finally, an autism programme that gets it right :notworthy: My TV didn't get any shouting at for the whole hour (probably safer than watching the Prime-Minister debate :lol:). The only bit that made me a little uncomfortable was when the twins' mother was speaking as if they weren't there when she was sat next to them (BTW, why did one twin have a foreign accent? :unsure:)

I loved the comparison with Shakespeare - that is so what everyday language is like for me. I could really see myself in Sarah too in terms of the difficulty speaking in front of others and the huge anxiety. I thought the driving instructor was great although she'd be awful for me as she talked waaaayyyy too much!!

I hope some of my university people who don't really get me were watching that because there was a lot to be learnt aside from the driving side.

The only negative I suppose I have is that they all passed their tests first time. This just isn't realistic. I was really thinking at the end that Scott would fail his test to give some balance, but he passed too. I hope viewers don't think they passed/the examiners were easy on them because of their Autism. :unsure:

BTW, I hope Scott doesn't get a nasty shock when he tries to join the RAF. I thought that anyone with a dx of ASD, regardless of medication, was barred from an armed forces career? :unsure::(

Edited by Mumble

We loved it too :thumbs:

:notworthy: Julia :notworthy:what an inspiration - I was in tears when she outlined her life up until that point, quite matter of factly, with no drama - to overcome all that, excel in her field & extend her expertise to others - I was lost in admiration.

Hadn't thought about the implications of them all passing, can see your point Mumble - is it a series though? In which case I expect we'll see some balance as it progresses. But as for the examiners going easy on them, well I'm not sure if they'd know the person was autistic - JP's examiner certainly didn't. But I guess folk watching might not know that.

And the foreign accent? I've read lots of times that some autistic peeps speak in a different accent from their parents/where they live, ranging from foreign to 'posh'. JP has a friend who speaks with an American accent, possibly caused by his film obsession! :lol:

Edited to add: Scott - would he be barred from stuff like mending vehicles? Mr p doesn't think so but isn't absolutely sure.

Oh & I loved Julia's tats & piercings :thumbs:

Edited by pearl

I missed most of it :( But what I did see was very uplifting.I really felt so positive afterwards.That driving instructor is superb :thumbs:

Well I watched this programme and it made me so angry I vomitted while simultaneously evacuating my bowels...

Oh, no... that was the clip of 'Over the rainbow' I saw on Charlie Brooker tonight.

This was actually, erm, okay...

Like mumble I was none too chuffed to see parents discussing their children as if they weren't in the room and/or 'leading' them. I suspect the parents feel that this is being 'open and honest' but there are some things kids don't need to hear from their parents and likewise there are things children don't want parents to know about their lives. Perfectly natch - If god had meant parents and kids to be BFF's he/she/it wouldn't have invented the 'age gap'. :)

I was a bit concerned to hear about the guy who passed his test too - the fact that he was seventeen before he got a dx and then he was simultaneously diagnosed with ASD, ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Athletes foot, Joggers nipple, scrofulous of the knees, psoriasis, the beverly sisters and paralysis of the swonnicles...

I find it hard to understand how modern dx's can be so all encompassing, when so many of the symptoms of the conditions being diagnosed 'overlap' in the first place. I really, really think that this kind of stuff needs to be talken more slowly, and fully explored before new 'co-morbids' are tacked on. I think the 'heirarchy of diagnosis' is problematic, but I think probably less problematic than applying a whole barrage of labels that contradict and confuse things so much that you can't see the wood for the trees...

Did make oi larf though when he said 'You can't jump on your girlfriend and get her to take you somewhere...' :lol: How about that 45 second minute round trip to heaven and back! :lol: Admittedly, the running costs are higher than a Ford Fiesta, but it's money well spent IMO :whistle:

Apart from those small points though, and a couple of unhelpful generalisations I thought the prog very informative, interesting and realistic. The beeb certainly seem to be getting it better than that other lot, but then what's new about that? Gawd beless 'auntie' and all who sail in her!

L&P

BD :D

Totally inspriational to watch. i cheered when Scott passed and then got into his Clio and drove off over the driveway. I loved Julias speech with the Uni people. Just this alone gives a positive insight in how my 10 year olds future could be. With the right support as Julia says people with autism can do anything. My son loves his bike,it gives him a sense of freedom and indepence, if he can drive in the future,i know it will give him a great deal of self repect and a sense of achivement. All i have to do now is find a driving school in the Highlands that would be able to teach him,if and of course when his able .

We found with JP that the right instructor was crucial. S vetoed hers for him on the grounds he was 'too shouty' & we found by word of mouth a wonderfully patient man who told us straight that if he didn't think JP could do it, he'd let us know then he wasn't wasting his money. After 3 lessons, he followed JP inside the house. Oh-oh, we thought. Just wanted to let you know that he is doing brilliantly, he said :thumbs:

He passed first time & has never looked back (except to check his blind spot) :D

I don't know about anyone else, but i was expecting David Walliams to pop out and join the the driving instructor.

So now with all these programs about autism, showing us how it is for people with Aspergers and High Functioning Autism; How about showing what it's like for families living with real Autism!

How about showing what it's like for families living with real Autism!

Excuse me? :o

How dare you judge others like this. You have absolutely no idea what autism is like for others because no one can experience what others experience, but you could try showing a smidgen of empathy or even thought.

My autism is very real to me thank you very much. :tearful:

Once i started watching I couldn't stop, i also cheered when Scott passed. I thought Julia was fantastic you could see

she really loves her job.

Teresa

Oh & I loved Julia's tats & piercings :thumbs:

You gonna copy them? :unsure::lol:

In fact we could all go for job related tats - you could get the Dewey decimal system tattooed up your arms! :ph34r:

I don't know about anyone else, but i was expecting David Walliams to pop out and join the the driving instructor.

So now with all these programs about autism, showing us how it is for people with Aspergers and High Functioning Autism; How about showing what it's like for families living with real Autism!

Hi A&A -

I think you've expressed that badly (which coming from me is pretty damning!) but I do see your point.

I've commented regularly elsewhere on the forum that the lives/experiences of HFA & AS people are very, very different to those more profoundly affected, yet I'm sure increasingly in this age of seemingly ever wider definitions (by which I mean at the top end/AS of the spectrum) public perceptions of autism don't include the non-verbal severe 'kanners' model whatsoever. I'd go one stage further, in fact, and say that there are probably even many parents of autistic people who have never encountered severe autism, and who - while acknowledging that it is a spectrum - have no idea of what that actually means in real terms. TBH, I think the same goes for many people who are often the 'first line' for offering their opinions to parents - i.e. S&LT's, SENCO's, Teachers, TA's, Playground assistants, Dinner Ladies, People who know someone who lives next door to someone whose sister 'has one' etc etc etc and possibly extends to some of the paeds and psychs that are actually making diagnoses. For many, I'm sure, 'severe' autism means Kim Peek (rainman) - a model that a few decades ago was looked upon as extremely high functioning purely on the basis of savant skills.

The thing I find most worrying about that, and frequently bang my drum about, is that the behaviours, experiences and 'symptoms' of the more profoundly affected are often appropriated by parents of children who simply do not have the same issues but for whom the suggestion of those issues does provide a convenient and 'legitimate' (legitimate in terms of 'some autistic people do' rather than legitimate in the context of the child whose behaviours are being enabled and defended) excuse.

Not sure how you address that, because a room full of non-communicative autistics not doing very much of anything at all (in the viewers terms) isn't going to get much of an audience. And yes, what we are seeing on TV at the moment does only look at a very specific sector of the autistic spectrum, even when the people involved (like Andrew on Y,A&SS) are described as 'classic kanners' or 'severe'.

So i don't think you'll be seeing much representation on TV in the near future of profound autism, but it would be nice to see some sort of real acknowledgement of that in some of the current batch of documentarys.

As a final thought, I wonder what would happen if a law was passed that meant every professional who could diagnose autism had to work for at least 2 years in a unit for those more profoundly affected, and if after training there was a further stipulation of at least two days per quarter working in a similar environment?

L&P

public perceptions of autism don't include the non-verbal severe 'kanners' model whatsoever.

Afraid I have to disagree there. Too many times I, and other HFA/AS individuals I know, come up against people who don't believe we are Autistic because we don't 'look' Autistic and we don't fit what they understand Autism to be (which is still Rainmanish). People with some understanding/experience of Autism may fall into the perception you suggest but those encountering it for a first time, I suggest, don't.

Something I'm not sure of is how much the differences we see are related to actual differences in the underlying Autism and how much they are due to other issues. Just a thought, I really don't know the answer, nor am I claiming anything here, I just wonder if it's the learning difficulties associated with Kanner Autism that lead the differences rather than the Autism itself? :unsure:

even when the people involved (like Andrew on Y,A&SS) are described as 'classic kanners' or 'severe'.

Yes, this is something I didn't understand on YA&SS - I was quite shocked when they described Andrew as having Severe Autism because from what we see it doesn't seem this way (that's not to negate the obviously hard work his parents have put in), but if he's described as 'severe' how much scope does this give to differentiate those below (poor language - not sure how else to express it) him. :unsure:

Afraid I have to disagree there. Too many times I, and other HFA/AS individuals I know, come up against people who don't believe we are Autistic because we don't 'look' Autistic and we don't fit what they understand Autism to be (which is still Rainmanish).

But that's what i said, diddle I! the thing is rainman isn't a model of severe autism - he's a model of autistic savantism! You (and other HFA's) may not fit their 'model' but more and more the model of 'typical autism' is the higher end of the spectrum - as the current spate of documentaries graphically shows.

Allowing that the vast majority of kids attend mainstream schools and the vast majority of parents collecting kids collect them from mainstream schools what models of autism are they seeing at the school gates? Now how many of those parents go anywhere near the local SEN school at going home time, let alone stand on the playground and watch them come out? The only parents there are the ones who already know - but they are vastly in the minority. Autism statistics have grown massively over the past decade, but almost certainly that is down to greater diagnosis at the more able end - as the term 'better recognition' demonstrates. A child who doesn't speak, flaps constantly, makes no eye contact, is incontinent etc etc etc doesn't need 'better recognition' criteria, but somebody like Ben on YA&SS who doesn't appear to have any readilly identifiable features of autism at all ( :whistle: ) needs a vastly widened definition to accommodate him.

So no worries about disagreeing - agree to differ we can :lol: - but even now if you mention autism to a stranger the questions you'll be asked are more (than ever) likely to be 'what's his special skill' than 'is he continent' or 'can he speak'?

L&P

I guess "real" was the wrong choice of word, no offence was intended. Baddad is on similar lines to what i was i thinking.

The point was, that every thing we see and hear about autism these days is all at at one end of the spectrum, a spectrum that seems to be getting increasingly larger. Not so long ago most peoples idea of autism was "The Rain Man" or worse, now thats changing because everything we hear in the news is Aspergers Syndrome. Lets not forget those on the autistic spectrum who's difficulties are much greater.

I guess "real" was the wrong choice of word, no offence was intended.

Okay. Sorry I reacted strongly, however it can be very difficult can't appreciate there to be any difficulty because they can't see it.

Lets not forget those on the autistic spectrum who's difficulties are much greater.

I would suggest that the difficulties are different rather than greater or less. I don't think they are really comparable because they are operating in such different contexts with such different expectations.

I do however agree that in some cases things are being rather too stretched diagnostically which is a negative for everyone as it reduces the perception of need for adjustment/support.

first of all can i just say i did enjoy the programme and i think the lady instructor should be commended she has succeeded in a wide world full of adversity

secondly i would like to add that most peoples knowledge of autism begins and ends with 'rainman' sad but very true

take my shopping trip with matthew this afternoon (i usually try go shopping when he in school as its easier) but we only needed a few things to do dinner this evening but it turned into the usual difficulty with both me and matthew getting stressed and more and more bad looks and huffs from other shoppers because of matthews behaviour (screaming and hitting himself and me, throwing his shoes across the supermarket ect) i dont think there was one person in that supermarket that didn't stare with a disapproving eye :(

i would like to see more programmes with different points of view from all ends of the spectrum raising awareness amongst everyone on the difficulties persons with a diagnosis and their families face everyday

You gonna copy them? :unsure::lol:

In fact we could all go for job related tats - you could get the Dewey decimal system tattooed up your arms! :ph34r:

How do you know I haven't already? :ph34r:

I think I feel an OT thread coming on :lol:

i don't believe AS is publised enough out there so for so many aspergers/autism programmes to highlight different areas of difficulties that show to society maybe they being to think more become less judgemental and begin to realise how much of struggle everyday life can be with living with AS etc i think positive thing to happen and come out of this more knowledge,awareness and understanding good on BBC 3! good job keep it up more heard of it more chance of support more official diagnoses and assessments will take place!

i saw true determination and ambition and goal of wanting to drive pushing them to reach it found it really heartwarming and inspiritional theme behind each one of them was really good viewing found interesting! i love to learn to drive but i don't only just have AS i also have quite bad dyspraxia affecting co-ordination etc so looks like i'll have stick with pulbic transport for now and future buses trains taxis safer anyways for me and public lol

I've just watched this programme, and I thought it was very good. My eldest son is learning to drive, and I can relate to the things the programme showed eg: the problems with the theory test. My son struggled with the hazard perception part, but he practised a lot and we came to the conclusion that we should try it and see how he got on. As they described, it involves lots of firsts, but the staff were lovely (they quickly sussed that he was a bit "different" - they even went to get him when he had finished, as he forgot to just come out). Amazingly he passed first time! He was very happy :clap:

He has now done two practical tests and failed. The first one, he struggled with the examiner - he really could not tolerate her voice + it was all new to him. He failed the second one on a judgement call (whether to wait and possibly fail for hesitation or to go and possibly fail for being dangerous - he did the latter).

He had problems with his first driving instructor, so we changed to another one recommended by a friend. This instructor has taught several people with AS and my son gets on well with him.

The boy driving his car up and down the drive reminds me of my son. T has already bought and done up a Landrover - all he needs to do now is pass.

I was vey interested in the driving programme..my eldest son alex is 17 and wants to learn to drive..we werent actually sure if he would be allowed to drive! Having seen the experiences of these young people on the programme, Alex is confident that he will give it a go...i suppose you would say he is at the higher functuoning end of autism but also has a learning difficulty..but having said that he is taking a few gcse's this year..he attends special school but has been spending time in a mainstream school to study for maths, english and science at gcse level. I dont expect that he will pass at an a-c grade..but that isnt important ...i am so proud that he will be taking some gcse's and he has already been to college to register for a course in IT at nvq level1.

Now we have to save up for driving theory test and lessons..lol...and then he will be wanting a car...i need to get on that channel 4 programme...how the other half live and find a millionaire to sponsor my family...all the kids have big ideas and dreams but they are also expensive ones!

I applaud tv channels for giving time to programmes about autism..i do agree that it would be nice to see autism and other disabilities represented in a mainstream context..but all the same it is raising awareness because these programmes are entertaining and compulsive viewing in my opinion. I have enjoyed them all even the channel 4 starstruck one. The bbc programmes have been light hearted overall and inspiring..just gettting nervous about next thursda when james is on bbc three..yiikkesss!

I watched this and i thought it was good although i felt the driving structer was a bit over bearing on the program, but that could be a result of the angles of the cameras....

i hope to start driving lessons again and pass my test, it would make life so much easier!

At the momenti have to get six buses to be able to go and get back from college. :(

Edited by Robyn

Excuse me? :o

How dare you judge others like this. You have absolutely no idea what autism is like for others because no one can experience what others experience, but you could try showing a smidgen of empathy or even thought.

My autism is very real to me thank you very much. :tearful:

Hi with regards to your previous message we do have empathy and we are not judging others and as far as knowing what Autism is like we do know as our child was diagnosed with Autism 2 days b4 his 3rd birthday and his is autism is real to us as he is a child with no speech and very little interest in anything but Tv or Food and yes we have tearful moments as well. So i think you are teh one that needs to show some empathy to others as well. Anna from AA

Anna >:D<<'> ...all of the members on the forum are dealing with autism and its all very real to all of us.My son was,nt talking at 3 yrs and was only interested in diggers and tractors and watching them on a video.However he is now 14 and considered "high functioning" and with alot of help is doing well at school.A diagnosis at such a young age can be hard and you won,t know what the future holds .The spectrum is vast and my son has appeared at various different places on it during his 14 yrs , we have had to face some very tough times.A high functioning autistic can be just a debilitated as a low functioning autistic and the affects can be just as great and difficult to deal with for carers aswell...........(just wanted to add ..I dislike the use of high/low functioning terminology but used it in this case to get my point across..or try :rolleyes: .

Hi with regards to your previous message we do have empathy and we are not judging others and as far as knowing what Autism is like we do know as our child was diagnosed with Autism 2 days b4 his 3rd birthday and his is autism is real to us as he is a child with no speech and very little interest in anything but Tv or Food and yes we have tearful moments as well. So i think you are tHE one that needs to show some empathy to others as well. Anna from AA

I was going to ignore your original post, but I have to say I agree with Mumble. I found what you said beyond offensive. Even if you wished to make a point about what 'kind' of autism was being represented, your personal remark about the driving instructor was completely uncalled for.

Oh, & check out at least one of the young people on 'Young, Autistic & Stagestruck' for an example of 'low functioning' (yes Suze I too hate the term) autism.

as far as knowing what Autism is like we do know as our child was diagnosed with Autism 2 days b4 his 3rd birthday

All you will know from this experience (I don't know what other experience you have with Autistic individuals) is what Autism is like for you/your son. One person's experience/embodiment of Autism does not epitomise Autism on a generalised level.

i think you are tHE one that needs to show some empathy to others as well.

What have I done/said that does not show empathy? :unsure:

AandA - I don't think apologising for upsetting someone then attacking them a few posts later for the same upset is at all empathetic, nor called for.

People who care for someone who has severe autism cannot possibly understand the difficulties that the other side of the spectrum experiences and vice versa. It does not make those difficulties less real or hard to deal with whether they are severe or less so. We all want to be understood on here, and in the outside world - so perhaps creating divisions where there should be strong bonds isn't the way to go. Having a difference of opinion is one thing - personally attacking someone is another.

AandA - I don't think apologising for upsetting someone then attacking them a few posts later for the same upset is at all empathetic, nor called for.

People who care for someone who has severe autism cannot possibly understand the difficulties that the other side of the spectrum experiences and vice versa. It does not make those difficulties less real or hard to deal with whether they are severe or less so.

Hi Matzoball - just thought I'd point out the contradiction here: It does not necessarilly make those difficulties less hard or real, but as you rightly say an HFA autistic can't possibly know whether that's the case or not.

I agree that A and A accepting mumble's apology and then posting negatively again wasn't helpful or called for, bur suspect, reading between the lines that perhaps two parents are posting from the same account (A AND A) and that this may be a case of crossed wires(?)

I have expressed my view in this thread and elsewhere on the forum that the 'focus' of autism has shifted dramtically over the past decade or so. In that period I have seen an increasing trend for high functioning autistic people - sometimes those who have successfully negotiated their way to middle age or even older without diagnosis or even without very obvious social/emotional difficulties (they have good careers, may be married or have been married, have/have had relationships etc) assuming - and it can only be assumption - that their life experience has been as marginalised or 'disabled' or compromised as the lives of profoundly disabled people. Having worked in the care industry supporting adults who have never spoken, who have never known any life outside of the homes of their parents and/or the residential care home they move to after their parents, who have never been able to go anywhere without carers on hand to support them, in clothing, feeding, cleaning themselves etc i find myselves unable to take those sorts of assumptions at face value these days.

Which is not necessarilly to say that severely autistic people have 'worse' lives or that their lives are less valid or valuable (If anyone here knows what 'happiness' is I'm sure they'd say it's nothing as simple as we like to think it is) - but I am getting tired of the most verbal, the most able, the most independent, the most accomplished and the most articulate representatives of the autistic community suggesting the pressures they face must be as bad or comparable purely because they have the same label attached to them. What particularly annoys me is when people get a dx at 30/40/50 whatever and after living their lives one way immediately adopt a completely different lifestyle (or seemingly randomly acquiring every single autistic trait that has ever been recorded) that shows no consideration, compassion, or thought for the opinions of others based purely on the fact that they are now 'being true to themselves'. Why should autistic people have a divine right to be 'true to themselves'? 99.9% of the population don't get or expect that privilege, and there is not a single personality trait or 'autistic trait' that can't doesn't apply to at least as many Neurotypicals - the difference being that in a neurotypical person the 'trait' is either seen as just part of who they are or identified as a 'standalone' condition. With an autistic person all traits will be identified as autistic traits, and all other conditions seen as 'rekated co-morbids'.

Sorry - wandered from the point a little there, but the whole autistic 'victim' thing is wearing a bit thin with me. Which is not to say, of course, that autistic people can't be victims - just a recognition that they don't have a monopoly on it, and that for some it is a role they are only to happy to adopt. just like the rest of society, in fact.

L&P

A and A has acknowledged that the post was badly worded. I don't know what more Mumble can do beyond the apology she has already offered. It's time to stop this discussion now.

The Forum Guidelines about personal attacks are quite clear, and I hope that it will not be necessary to stop this discussion about the recent TV programme. I'm not asking you all to agree, but if you want to challenge anyone's opinions, please do it without calling them names.

And just in case anyone is in any doubt, yes, I am wearing my moderator hat right now.

:peace:

In regards to the programme - it was great. I thought the driving instructor Julia was wonderful - she is a true inspiration. I was asked by the NAS to become a speaker and was very unsure due to confidence issues etc, but after seeing her nail that speech in the programme I've been given the bolster I need to start giving speeches of my own.

She provides an amazing service for people on the spectrum who want to take that step and get behind the wheel, she puts herself out there and teaches other driving instructors to understand our needs, and she educates people about being on the spectrum - and that makes her a personal hero to me.

Well done BBC for putting this on. :thumbs:

Edited by matzoball

Saw an episode on night time telly at work last night,(Free view was working for a change) don't know where that fits in with the series.(only one Iv seen)

My impression is how familiar (and I'm talking from a driving point of view) to me the people in it seemed. If they had not told us about their autism, I would not have seen it in their driving.

Some of the driving problems they had, which were attributed to their autism sound a bit to close to home.

Should I look at my own driving? But then it is over 25 years since I was last involved in a motor accident and that was not my fault, honest, does that make me a good driver?.

The problems my wife (Who holds a license but wont drive) and my stepdaughter (who is trying to learn but cant) were all mentioned and attributed to Autism.

But it is good to see programs like this on the telly. And that driving instructor, there are a lot of words you could use to describe her, I think I will stick with inspirational.

My point is that the BBC going all PC with a sudden clutch of programs about autism, all very well, but I have seen ADS, Autism, Disco and Me, Autistic Superstars etc, always left with the feeling that non-autistic people being left none the wiser as to what autism actually IS, what might cause it, and a whole lot of other stuff that they just might like to know.

My point is that the BBC going all PC with a sudden clutch of programs about autism, all very well, but I have seen ADS, Autism, Disco and Me, Autistic Superstars etc, always left with the feeling that non-autistic people being left none the wiser as to what autism actually IS, what might cause it, and a whole lot of other stuff that they just might like to know.

Although, to be fair, that wasn't the aim of these programmes. You wouldn't watch Eastenders to get a history of London, or Strictly Come Dancing for a discussion of choreography through the ages, because although these programmes are about London and dance respectively, these aren't the aspects they cover.

What Mumble said!! (which means, that I like what Mumble just said and agree with it)

Stella xx

Edited by Stella63

"You wouldn't watch Eastenders to get a history of London"

I wouldn't watch Eastenders ever... I have intelligence.

Perhaps we really need a programme, or a series of programmes dispelling some myths about autism!

Not wanting to drag up the previous discussion, but only to comment that none of us are immune from making assumptions sometimes that aren't correct, e.g. that if a child with autism is affected by not being able to communicate verbally, that their autism is 'worse' than one who does speak, or one that is academic.

Two of mine are academic and they have almost broken down with their emotional pain at being perceived as being clever and capable and not worthy of any support whatsoever. The one who is not academic at all is a much happier person, even though society would probably say she is 'worse'!

I read a very powerful story on the NAS site about a woman who remembers happily living in her own non-verbal world and finds it so much harder now that she does speak!

I can understand why people have focused on making programmes about Aspergers and I'm glad awareness is being raised, simply because we look like everyone else doesn't mean we think or feel like other people. I've had that from school (but she looks normal to me! (whatever that means!)

Sxx