Sign in to follow this  
matthewsmommy

hello every1

can i say hello 2 every1 and how pleased i am 2 b here (after a little loggin prob) but all sorted now i really hope i get 2 know u all and hope 2 find a little hope in what has become life

i am claire and i mom to 3 wonderful children: Brandon 11, Charlotte-rose(charley) 8 and matthew 4

matthew has recently been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD and my head has been fuzzy since trying to find support and others who r in the same boat i keep getting told by 'professionals' that "things will get better" but with all the meetings and medical jargon i feel quite lost i also find myself feeling guilty as before the diagnosis of ASD i just thought that matthew was generally being naughty and that he hated me and his brother and sister....now we know that he not naughty and he doesn't hate us he has a condition that he cant help

Did any of u out there feel the same when your nearest and dearest had there diagnosis? or am i blowing everything all out of proportion and things really will get better???

Hi welcome to the forum

I have four boys and my second son Sam is six and he has Aspergers Syndrome.

I also felt guilty,mostly for punishing him for certain behaviours.However,he still gets punnished and I did have to see it from the view that if I had never disciplined Sam before the dx then how would I do so after the dx,he would have been the one in control NOT me!So now I am glad I havent changed things.Also if he got away with things then his brothers wouldnt understand,it would be unfair,and the younger two could end up copying the behaviour.

It is indeed hard to get your head around all the info but you will get used to it.Sam was only dx'd in Dec so I am new to this really,but I have learnt so much.

Take care now.

Hello and welcome :)

I can identify with your feelings - it is a difficult time just after dx. There are so many things going through your head, it's difficult to take it all in. Try to give youurself time to let it all sink in. My DS was diagnosed 3 years ago, and although we knew it was coming, it was still a shock. We have learned so much over that time, and have come to understand him much better. He still has behaviour issues but we have learned better how to deal with them. The biggest tip I could give is to always be consistent in the way you approach things.

It is daunting but you have found a great forum here and there are lots of people who can give you good advice, so just ask :)

Look after yourself >:D<<'>