Sign in to follow this  
toby

meltonin causing deprerssion?

hi all

so im currently going through a long bout of on off depression where i will have days where aim fine and days like today where i just feel dreadful. this depression started a month or two ago around the same time as my melatonnin stopped being that effective. i have been on mellatonin for at least 4 or 5 months now and until this spout it has been woring beautifully. i wonder also whetehr if the depression wasnt caused by the melatonnnin whetthe rthe depression is affecting mellatonins helpfulness?

thanks for reading and your advice

Toby

i used to be on melatonin, i came off of it because it gave me reccuring nightmares and it scared me. do u get night mares usually a common problem is melatonin when its supposed to help relax u and help sleep

i used to be on melatonin, i came off of it because it gave me reccuring nightmares and it scared me. do u get night mares usually a common problem is melatonin when its supposed to help relax u and help sleep

nope sorry no nightmares. though i have noticed an increase in odd and weird dreams but no nightmares at least not reguarly just one or two.

Melatonin is not recommended for anyone with depression, because it may make depression worse. I know that many people with depression do take the risk and have no problems. If you were taking the melatonin for a few months with no problems, it does seem unlikely that it is the cause of your recent depression. If the melatonin is not helping with sleep anyway, maybe you could try taking a break from the melatonin and see if that makes any difference.

If the depression is causing insomnia, then the melatonin may not be enough to get you to sleep. Some people do seem to develop a tolerance to melatonin, and find it works best if they do not use it every day.

OMG!!! i didnt know melatonin cause nightmares :( :( maybe thats the reason matthew wakes in the night screaming :( he clings onto me for dear life when he wakes in the night but in the day he never comes by me

what if the medicine i'm giving matthew to help him sleep is making him have nightmares????? brandon and charley have had nightmares but they can tell me whats wrong and i can help them feel better and get them off to sleep but matthew only has learnt speech and phrases and cant tell me whats wrong so i just end up sitting up with him till he goes back at 3/4 am

thank you for bring that to my attention i will most deffinately be keeping a eye on things more now xx