Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

IGCSEs or GCSEs?

If your kids had the choice of taking all examination IGCSEs or GCSEs with coursework, then would you or your kids pick the IGCSE over the GCSE? Many independent schools have replaced some of their GCSEs with IGCSEs over the past few years but state schools legally cannot offer them at the moment.

With my children we shall probably do GCSE followed by IB (international baccalaureat) for those that want uni. At uni it's what comes after GCSEs (of any kind) that they're interested in and at college standard GCSEs are fine. My DD's secondary currently offers IB though I have doubts that will be the case when we need it.

Edited by call me jaded

If your kids had the choice of taking all examination IGCSEs or GCSEs with coursework, then would you or your kids pick the IGCSE over the GCSE? Many independent schools have replaced some of their GCSEs with IGCSEs over the past few years but state schools legally cannot offer them at the moment.

sorry but could you explain the difference, my children are at an independent school and i have not heard of the IGCSEs. So may be intresting to no the difference.

IGCSE stands for International GCSE. They are the same qualification as a GCSE except they are all examination with no coursework. They were originally intended for use outside of the UK in countries that wanted to offer GCSEs but marking the coursework component would be difficult. Many independent schools in the UK have started using them in recent years because:

1. They are perceived to be more rigorous that GCSEs.

2. To avoid time consuming coursework.

3. The IGCSE exam questions are generally more literal like the O Level questions whereas the GCSE exam questions are often phrased in a 'populist' style.

As far as I know the IGCSE is meant to be a more internationally recognised.Actually as far as the curriculum it makes no difference,I recently applied to do GCSE and they told me everything will be mostly the same as IGCSE,in the end I was lucky as I managed to convert my old qualification into a GCSE.

Edited by justine1

As far as I know the IGCSE is meant to be a more internationally recognised.

GCSEs and IGCSEs are only recognised in the countries that offer them and a handful of others. The US generally doesn't recognise them apart from in one or two states where they have been offered. The converse is true with the US High School Diploma in Britain.

Actually as far as the curriculum it makes no difference,I recently applied to do GCSE and they told me everything will be mostly the same as IGCSE,in the end I was lucky as I managed to convert my old qualification into a GCSE.

The curriculum is identical but the style of the questions often differs.

The independany school I work at does IGCSE's for international students, who come here for a year specifically to do it.

Not sure whet I would suggest my kids did if there was a choice...

The IGCSE was developed as an exam only option for International schools abroad who find it better the have a final exam after 2 years rather than having to arrange for coursework moderation along the way - they are similar to the old 'O' level in structure

I think it depends a lot on the child

- IGCSEs are exam only and so there is no stressing over coursework deadlines etc - it may suit people who perform well in exams

- on the other hand the standard GCSEs with coursework were introduced as O levels were regarded as unfair - the whole grade and result depends on your performance in 1 or 2 exams at the end of 2 years not what you have achieved in class

I read in this article that some of the Independent schools that had moved over to the IGCSEs have now changed back as their grades were not as good

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle6987117.ece

I agree with Puffin. I think for my own child a continual assessment of work would be much better than sitting an exam. I think an ability to learn and apply information is more functional than being able to cram facts into your memory and regurgitate them.