Sign in to follow this  
baddad

calling CALL ME DELIA

Hiya!

Ben's got his mate coming for dinner Monday and as we've just invested in some new silicon cake cases he wants to make some muffins...

I've got a few recipes, but has anyone got a fool proof 'base' recipe (using off the shelf flour mix i.e. doves farm) which works for anything you might choose to chuck in?

He's decided he wants to do chocolate, and no probs getting df 'chips' for that but I thought it'd be nice to try some white choc ones too as I've seen d/f white choc buttons on the shelves recently. Anyone tried that yet?

He made a scrummy apple crumble in Food Tech at school the other day :thumbs: Really pleased, but has anyone else noticed that 'food tech' usually means cakes or pastry? Definitely not good for my waistline (well you can't NOT eat something your kids cooked for you, can you? :whistle: )

Oh - made some asserlutely garjuss KFC the other week using Genius bread for crumbs. The colonel is now trying to get hold of MY secret recipe :lol:

Just mix the following spices together, then bung a goodly portion to taste in with your breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs on last, of course, after rolling in seasoned flour and beaten egg first. Lightly brown/crisp in fryer, then into oven for about 30 - 45 mins, depending on size off 'bits'

SPICE MIX:

1 teaspoon paprika

2 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion salt

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried sage

1/2 teaspoon dried powdered rosemary

1/2 teaspoon dried powdered thyme

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

NB: for spicy recipe add chilli

Also try soaking chicken pieces in soya milk or water for a good 5 - 6 hrs. Gives the chicken that moist 'steamed' texture like the colonel's ovens..

So what about them muffins, then?

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

I've never tried muffins, but I'd be interested to know how you do with the cake cases and whether they peel off the cake as well as the paper ones. I can see the point in throwing less rubbish away and using more re-usable items, but I wouldn't have thought cake cases are a major source of waste.

i use silicone muffin trays. you have to put them on a metal tray because they're all wibbly but they work great, and as long as you oil the silicone lightly i've never had any trouble popping the muffins out with nothing left behind. theyre also incredibly easy to wash as everything just falls off!

I just convert anything dairy into DF and have not had an trouble so far!

Not tried the DF white choc drops, I may test those this week as tbh I never even thought about adding those

We make choccie cakes by swapping about 10% of the flour for cocoa powder

I use normal cake cases with pudsey bear on :D

try this recipe, it is delicious!

1 yoghurt (I used 1 cup of yoghurt and it was fine cooked for 90mins which is 2 small yogurt pots, but 1 pot can be used and cooked for less time).

1 cup of oil

2 cups caster sugar

3 cups SR Flour

2 eggs (I used medium sized eggs)

Cook for 60-90mins at 160°C (Gas Mark 3)

Use soya yoghurt for lactose intolerant people :)

We make choccie cakes by swapping about 10% of the flour for cocoa powder

I use more like 1/4 cocoa powder :o

Well silicon bakeware is a defintie winner :thumbs: (does that mean you could boil a spotted dick in Jordan's Oomalata's? Would save rinsing out the muslin cloth! :lol: )

White chocolate d/f button muffins taste nice, but they need a slower, longer cooking time as the chocolate seems to thin the mix as it bakes so it needs more drying out...

On the downside, the recipe I eventually used didn't rise as well as I hoped, so they were more like fairy cakes than muffins. next time i'll double the quant to each case to get a proper 'muffin top'.

Oh, the white choc ones didn't 'billow' at all either, so definitely have to do a bit more experimenting with those.

L&P

BD :D