JeanneA

Prozac

My son Glen 16 ASD has been put on Prozac for his anxiety problems. He is very depressed and has been for some time. Glen is also on risperidone and I have heard that having both can work really well. Glen only started prozac yesterday has 5ml dose (20mg) in the mornings. He is on 2mg risperidone twice daily. If anyone has take either or both of these medications I would love to hear from you.

I've never taken respiridone, but I have taken Prozac. I found it did not work for me, but I seem to have that problem with all antidepressants, and I think that's fairly unusual. A lot of people find that Prozac can cause increased anxiety at first, but this is actually a sign that the medication will eventually work well. Unless it becomes unbearable, it's normally worth trying to ride it out for a couple of weeks until it kicks in.

Hi

OJ has been on Prozac for nearly 3 years now for anxiety and OCD. He has had no problems with it, it doesn't stop the problems and he does tend towards depression, or certainly depressive thoughts. We took him off it in the summer hols last year and he was fine until he went back to school - it was like regressing 4 years to when he was at primary school, running out of lessons and school, explosions of anger and just not coping. We put him back on it and he is back to 'just about' coping, which is enough to keep him in school and learning.

I have no experience of respiridone so can't help with how the two go together.

Hope this helps

Stella xx

Hi Stella thanks for your comments, I am desperate for something to help lift my son's depression, all he wants to do is lay down on his bed, all curtains closed, he wants it to be night time all day long. If he isn't like that then he is aggressive, self harms and hits out at me. Glen only started the prozac on Saturday so guess it will take a while to kick in. How long was it before you noticed any difference in your son?

Hi Jeanne,

It takes about 6 weeks to see the full effect of it, although you may notice small changes before then. OJ still has extreme mood swings - if something happens (normally with a friend) he will crash hard and start the suicidal thoughts and the unworthiness of his existence. I do feel that the Prozac makes it easier for me (or school) to get through to him and build him back up - he's more compliable if that makes sense!!

Stella xx

Hi Stella yes it does make sense what you said I just hope it will help my son. Medication hasn't really worked in the past but he is a lot older now so fingers crossed this time!

I am on prozac and it does help me alot:) Although Im on the lowest dose and I still feel depressed but I can cope now where before I used to get extremely angry and upset easily

I once tried respiridome without prozac - i was on it for a few days - couldnt cope - felt very shy and grumpy - so went off it :/

I have a 16 year old son with Autism. My son is on Fluoxetine and Risperidone, has been for 13 years now and it has done wonders for him. every 2 years we have to reduce each one slowly over a few months to see if he still needs it and then it gets slowly put back up to his normal, small dose. he is so calm now compared to how he starts to behave again every time its reduction time. we regularly take him out to restaurants and he has no problems with waiting in queues or crowds at all anymore. he understands everything we say to him and he understands so much about the world now i am really glad we took the opportunity when we did. at the time he was the youngest child they had tried it on and he was in hospital for 10 days while they got the dosage correct. he is on 20mg/5ml fluoxetine/prozac in the morning and 1mg/1ml risperidone in evening.

we noticed a difference within a few days of him starting them both. he was more interactive and noticed things, like the birds in the trees. he used to be a very fussy eater. eating only microwave pizzas. but now he will eat anything except custard and mashed potato. he continues to make improvements all the time.

hope this helps and if there's anything else you 'd like to know just ask.

Thanks for your reply. Glen is on 40mg in the mornings of prozac 1mg of risperidone morning and evening. He seemed very happy until recently so Im wondering if it is not working as well anymore. Glen is looking very miserable again in himself which is how he looked before he went on these medications. He started prozac at the beginning of May and risperidone at the beginning of March.

Hi just an update. Glen's behaviour problems are escalating. The psychiatrist increased the prozac to 12.5mls each morning and the risperidone to 2.5mls each morning and 1ml each evening. It hasn't helped at all. Glen had already deteriorated before the increase so I wouldn't like to blame it on that. I'm just so concerned, the psychiatrist is on leave so I cannot confide in her. Glen is hitting himself more each day and is hitting others including myself. I am wondering whether the medication is just not working anymore or the 2 medications just don't work together. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be really grateful.

hi sorry i've not visited the forum for quite a while now. my son, Ben, has been on the same small dose for the last 13 years. when he first started on prozac and risperidone we asked the doctor if the dosage would need to be changed as he grew older.the doctor said not at all, whatever dosage he settles on at the beginning would be enough for as long as he needs it, even into adulthood. before he went on this we tried him on ritalin but that made him 10 times worst. i'm sorry it's not working out too good for you .

whenever Ben gets too hyperactive and starts to become aggressive we have to get out of the house and go for a long walk whatever the weather. we also go swimming every weekend. excercise seems to help.

I spoke to a psychiatrist this afternoon from camhs, she said that both the prozac and risperidone should be fine especially as Glen has been on the prozac since May and risperidone since March. I do however think you have a good point regarding the prozac.

Glen actually hit the social worker this afternoon when she came to see him. He is just so aggressive and I am very concerned for my own safety at the moment.

I have had to give Glen a diazepam tablet this morning due to his severe aggression. The G.P. prescribed these when Glen had severe aggression earlier this year so I still had some left. I just had to do something, it does seemed to have calmed him down for the moment. Diazepam are only for the short term however due to you becoming addicted if taken for too long a period.

I don't know what the future will hold. The mental health assessment couldn't come quick enough now as Glen clearly needs help sooner rather than later.

Hi Lisa, no I haven't a date for when Glen will be admitted but the pre-admission meeting is Tuesday week, 30th. On that day I should then be told the date Glen will be admitted, it looks likely to be January though. I don't know if I can hold out that long, I have never known Glen to be this aggressive it has escalated this past week. I have given him diazepam today but he has just hit me again on the head whilst I was drying him after a bath, I only do it because he is so slow and if you let him do it himself he would take forever. It seems though he doesn't seem to like me 'doing' his personal care of late, that is when he often hits out at me.

I really don't know what to do about the medications Glen's on, in the mornings he doesn't want to get up, he's in such a deep sleep and waking him up I know makes him angry and then it all kicks off again.

If Glen's behaviour/aggression continues I am not going to be able to attend the pre-admission meeting next Tuesday 30th, I will have to call the hospital this week to see if they would accept my husband (Glen's step-dad) to go on my behalf as this meeting is vital. The sooner Glen gets admitted the better, he needs help now and I can't cope with him much longer.

Jeanne, what is he like when he doesnt have to be woken up early and is left to wake up naturally on his own?

I would still go to the pre-admission meeting if there is any way you can. Just keep thinking to yourself it is really only a matter of weeks before things start to change, you have that to look ahead to. Not long, x

Thanks Lisa for your comments. I am the only one who can 'look after Glen' if you know what I mean and if he is too aggressive to go to School then he will be at home. My hubby (Glen's step-dad) leaves Glen to me, he's a good guy in other ways but it would have to be me that looks after Glen for a long length of time and going to the meeting as its so far away I would have to leave Glen a long time, so I really need my hubby to attend on my behalf if necessary.

I have never left Glen to wake up by himself, I've normally had to wake him so I don't really know what he'd be like, I could try it today. I haven't got him up yet I'm just dreading what he'll be like to be honest so perhaps I will leave him like you said, to wake up on his own, that could take some time though!

Jeanne yes understand same here .

I would try leaving him to wake up on his own accord . He may be shattered . If we dont have to be anywhere i always leave son to wake up on his own even if its not till midday .

Just thinking ( pea brain here ) so dont all get too excited .. :unsure: Could it be possible that Glen is reacting/rebelling ( he is 16 not 6) to all the rules/requirements/routines around him and right now may want space? Do you think relaxing some of his usual routines, if possible, could make a difference? or is he one that likes to stick to rigid routines?

(I know myself at 16 i was sick to the back teeth of everything and just wanted something to change )I also remember daughter at 16 needing more sleep than usual. Dunno Jeanne , im sure you have already thought of everything so just a thought i had to write down , x