Sign in to follow this  
Carrera74

Urgent review with LEA/School - HT says they can no longer meet his needs

The HT said DS is very unhappy in his school and that they do not feel, at this time, that they can meet his needs. I nearly jumped on the table and did a little jig!! The case is going to be sent to county moderating panel and I need to put in writing what I want. LEA asked if school could accommodate him for a few hours a week so that he can still do some work whilst we wait for the outcome of the panel but the HT said they don't think he would cope at all. It's a complete turnaround. I am shell shocked. I didn't expect it at all. School have always said that they can meet his needs. School were very keen to get the ball rolling with getting him out! Maybe all my letters and moaning have finally paid off! HT even said that the last tribunal we lost in March 2009 would have probably had a different outcome if they'd seen his severe behaviours before it. I can't believe they have actually agreed with us that his anxieties are so high that these behaviours have reappeared.

So the fight to get the right placement begins but surely it will be a lot easier now school have given up!!!

Knowing the LEA though they'll be quite a few more brickwalls to clamber over!

It's a strange feeling. I'm glad at long last that they have admitted he is not in the right place but really peeved that I have had to send him to fail. I'm suspicious of them agreeing with me all of a sudden though. 2 weeks ago the HT was adamant he should be in school. I have written to anyone and everyone and I have taken a complaint to the clerk of governors as I wasn't happy that about an inappropriate restraint and I certainly wasn't going to take their rubbish reasoning behind it. Grrr lol

HT said he would do relevant paperwork on Tuesday. I am gobsmacked that they won't let him come in school just for a few hours a week. It's fab for our case.

I am still going ahead with the appeal. I want his statement watertight and I want the right school. I am paranoid but I fear they will want to send him to another one of the LEA's funded schools even though this placement failed. There is another BESD school close by.

I meet with the LEA again in 6 weeks and need to put in writing what I want before then so they can see if it's feasible. If not, roll on October for Tribunal!

I really needed this 'boost'. It's hard fighting when the school were adamant that DS was rightly placed. Now I hope we'll get somewhere...

Hi Carreera,

That's really good news in a very sad way (IYKWIM!)

Have you looked at any autism specific schools? Many ASD schools are very good at dealing with children's anxieties and creating a calm environment - it could be that in the right environment, many behaviours will simply not present. I know also that there is very much a school of thought that BESD schools are not good for children with autism. In fact the school my DS attends checks before you even visit that your child has not got BESD because they feel that BESD children and ASD children are not a good mix. They are still very capable of coping with difficult behaviour as a result of a child's autism.

Also, I can't quite remember where I've seen it, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that there is/is going to be a requirement that children out of school for medical/social reasons must have alternative full-time education given - if it is going to be a while before you get a suitable school, it might be worth pushing for this.

I really hope you don't have to go to tribunal - rationally, it would be the last place the LEA would want to go, if the Head is saying her school can't meet his needs.

Best of luck

Grace/x

we are now in the same postion as you. School have written and said they cannot meet dd needs and are only willing to have her in school for 1 hour a day. she has been on a part time timetable from the start in sept, and the school kept saying everything will be ok. However 8 months on they have now said dd cannot stay at the school. We were ment to be at tribunal in July, but the LA have said dd can go to the independent school of my choice. I am still waiting for an admission date however the school have been told she is going by the LA and its just paper work we are waiting on. When we got the letter from the school the LA had no choice but to listen as to how bad things are for my dd. I hope with the new evidence you have things work out for you, going on my case it should do. Its just such a shame that our children have to suffer so much before they can get an education. My dd has a lot to catch up on her battle with the LA has gone on for over 19 months, i dont no how long it will take her to get over the trauma she has had to endure for all this time. But at least she will have acess to the speciallist help she so badly needs. Roll on admission date.

Hi Carreera,

As DS is now out of school, you must apply to the tribunal to have your case expedited, we got 6 weeks knocked off our wait, and J was in the right school by the time our original court date came around.

Also we managed to get J 5 hours 1 - 1 at a local children's centre being taught by a lovely AS trained teacher who worked for ESTIMA (Education support team for medical absence). This allowed me to go to Tescos alone once a week...

I am glad that you can now move forward positively.

XX