Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

obsessions

Hello, not posted for a while!

Just wondered if anyone can share/help ds was obsessed with thomas and trains however about a year and a half ago lego took over and he has not looked at or spoken of trains since. A few weeks ago ds teacher went on maternity leave(this is the only trigger I can think of) and has been replaced by an equally super teacher that ds likes. Anyway he has now developed what I can only describe as a total obsession with thomas again, much worse than it ever was, he has the trains out constantly, watches the same utube clip of a boy talking about trains and only wants to talk about, watch and play trains..... he is six and a half and the lego although was/is an obsession was never this intence it also helped him fit in at school.

My question is .......does this happen to your children? do they go back to a past obsession? I am a little worried about regression as he has also started pooing in the bath again and smearing, which untill recently was becoming less and less frequent. He does not seem stressed, school handled the transition of teachers very well and he does seem to really like his new teacher, who to her credit has made a huge effort to make sure ds is happy and has made sure his routine is the same. Nothing at home has changed so I just wondered is this normal!

thanks as always for any replies or advice x

Hi

I am not sure with regards to the obsessions,but my son does regress in other ways,sometimes I also cannot figure out what triggers this but it happens,sometimes it can last a day or two sometimes even a month.

He recently started wetting his bed and the carpet which came out of the blue,to consider he potty trained at 19mths and has been dry ever since.His reading and writing often regresses at any given time but then after some time he is back on form.He also goes through stages of being too quiet at home and getting upset easily again after a few weeks he will be happy again.

Not sure what to suggest,other than to say I do hope it will pass.

Hi

I am not sure with regards to the obsessions,but my son does regress in other ways,sometimes I also cannot figure out what triggers this but it happens,sometimes it can last a day or two sometimes even a month.

He recently started wetting his bed and the carpet which came out of the blue,to consider he potty trained at 19mths and has been dry ever since.His reading and writing often regresses at any given time but then after some time he is back on form.He also goes through stages of being too quiet at home and getting upset easily again after a few weeks he will be happy again.

Not sure what to suggest,other than to say I do hope it will pass.

My son has also started to wee next to the computer when I am not looking! which makes no sence at all as he was potty trained at 18 months and will be 7 in september!

I found age 6 a very difficult time with my son,it has been mentioned on the forum before that they go through a leap developmentally at this age.My son really struggled big time at this age when they are leaving the reception class scenario behind and looking toward the jumior classes at school.Inadvertantly there is always more pressure however subtle.My son has got great comfort from his obsessions over the years and they were always part of his IEP as a reward system , he could talk about them for 5 mins if he completed his work , or something similar.I would go with the Thomas stuff for now , he will break away from it again when he feels more comfortable and confident in his surroundings at school.My son has also always really loved lego :thumbs: ....it has been one of the best things ever....even if he does just build tractors, diggers and planes out of it (his obsession stuff) :thumbs: