Mandapanda

Autistic Superstars

I watched Autistic Superstars last night and thought it was very interesting. I think there was discussion on another thread about them only showing very mild Aspergers Syndrome on programmes before, but this programme had a slightly wider range.

The vocal coach was very patient and good with the two singers. Carly made me laugh, using bits of films to communicate, and Martin was sweet, hopping around pleased with himself. I particularly liked seeing Reggie's amazement, not at their skills, but at how hard life is for them and their parents, and how autism affects all their lives. I really felt for Carly and Martin's parents in particular, more so when we found out Carly's sister also has autism. I could see why Martin's parents "go with the flow", as I wouldn't want to see him during an angry outburst, though no doubt some people would criticise them for letting their son 'rule their lives', he looked like a typical teenage lad and capable of causing some damage.

I didn't understand why they kept pushing Carly to sing songs she didn't want to sing - except they appeared to want her to sing more 'modern' songs, probably to appeal to their target audience.

The guitarist was particularly amazing (like the character in All The Small Things, for those that remember that programme), having only played for 8 months. And the 11-year-old drummer was great too.

I've seen the piano player on several other programmes and he is incredible. I love the 'singy' way he talks too!

The programme was brilliant :thumbs: And its not just cause I love Reggie Yates :wub:

I loved Carly,she is so funny.The thing I loved was when she would say I am not doing it,then she would always say how sorry she is.I thought the voice coach was very good,so positive.

Carly's sister's snake collection was great too,I really giggled when thier dad said how she keeps playing back a section of dvd and cd over and over,Sam does that with Ben 10,it really does give me a headache :wacko:

I was sooooo amazed with the boy who plays guitar,he has only been playing for 8mths :o

I cant wait till the next show wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than Y,A &SS.

The programme was brilliant :thumbs: And its not just cause I love Reggie Yates :wub:

I loved Carly,she is so funny.The thing I loved was when she would say I am not doing it,then she would always say how sorry she is.I thought the voice coach was very good,so positive.

Carly's sister's snake collection was great too,I really giggled when thier dad said how she keeps playing back a section of dvd and cd over and over,Sam does that with Ben 10,it really does give me a headache :wacko:

I was sooooo amazed with the boy who plays guitar,he has only been playing for 8mths :o

I cant wait till the next show wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than Y,A &SS.

I saw the last half. The boy's 'dancing' around all the time is much like my son does, except he take flying leaps everywhere, sadly he has never raised his voice loud enough for anyone to hear him speak much let alone sing :( Carly is a character, but shows her autism in that new things are unsettling and unwanted, a real success to get her to do that, as did altered routines play havoc with the other boy who cut short the program maker and left him outside in the street lol. My boy is the same he ha his modus won't change....

I saw the last half. The boy's 'dancing' around all the time is much like my son does, except he take flying leaps everywhere, sadly he has never raised his voice loud enough for anyone to hear him speak much let alone sing :( Carly is a character, but shows her autism in that new things are unsettling and unwanted, a real success to get her to do that, as did altered routines play havoc with the other boy who cut short the program maker and left him outside in the street lol. My boy is the same he ha his modus won't change....

wonderful, just wonderful. and they used my favourite band Bon Iver for some of the music when Reggie was visiting the peformers beforehand - awesome!

oh and Daffid explained Autism the same way i do - apple macs and windows :) brilliant :)

Edited by matzoball

I have enjoyed it so much, I watched it twice :wub: Can't wait for the next one. I think it was very positive. I found it extremely helpful as much as anything. Watching Carly I could honestly see so much of my DD, the over dramatic strops that aren't always meant. The arms folded, stomp stomp. "I am NEVER doing this EVER again hmphh" :lol: I had tears of joy watching it all. The two singers are absolutely incredible. Both pushed out of their comfort zones, but both compromised and were very accepting in the end. I think it's amazing what can be achieved. The parents should all be proud, they were pushed over their comfort zones as well. They are all wonderful :clap: It had a much more postive feel to it than YASS. IMO.

I've often wondered what a comfort zone actually was. It is not as if I accommodate my son's to avoid hassle, I do try to stretch his imagination elsewhere and support him, but his comfort zone seems to be his way of life, and the only one he prefers. At what point do we know when he is able leave his comfort zone behind ? I could try entering him on BGT... In real time most of us simply do not get these options or the support that goes with it. I try to be always positive, but I would more readily accept some of these programs if a lot simply failed to comply and the excersize failed, as this would reflect most realities, maybe not good viewing though,and certainly not positive.

At what point do we know when he is able leave his comfort zone behind ?

I don't think you can know, but I also feel that if you don't test the boundaries the kids can't either. It took me years of gentle (and occassionally not so gentle) persuasion during summer hols at Butlintz to get mine onto the fairground rides, working up from going on the 'horses' with me to the year when he wanted to spend so much time on the flying umbrellas I had to defer and watch him go it alone 'cos i felt :sick:

The payoff was watching him and his BFF a couple of years ago going on everything at a funfair and rolling up laughing together, and watching the pair of them working together to get around the high ropes course at 'go ape'. None of that could have happened without challenging his 'safe zone' and nudging him into the unknown. Another factor too is that it's 'skills for life', because while a step from the 'horses' to the chair-a-planes isn't that great a step it has a huge knock-on effect in other areas.

Can't comment on the prog 'cos I haven't watched it. Usually i avoid anything like this like the plague (autistic or NT) because it's often quite patronising (Ben was watching 'Jnr Masterchef today and I nearly puked when I saw John Torode (who's enough to make me puke in even the best circumstances) and wossname Sawahla whispering 'ah , bless' to each other when a 12 year old correctly identified lemon grass), but maybe this one is something i should look out or on 'catch up'...

L&P

BD :D

I've often wondered what a comfort zone actually was. It is not as if I accommodate my son's to avoid hassle, I do try to stretch his imagination elsewhere and support him, but his comfort zone seems to be his way of life, and the only one he prefers. At what point do we know when he is able leave his comfort zone behind ? I could try entering him on BGT... In real time most of us simply do not get these options or the support that goes with it. I try to be always positive, but I would more readily accept some of these programs if a lot simply failed to comply and the excersize failed, as this would reflect most realities, maybe not good viewing though,and certainly not positive.

We don't know. but then again, when are a any of us prepared to be pushed out our "comfort" zones unless we try? I think the program was overall positve. Two of these children are severly Autistic, one that is pretty much no verbal and can't "read" One parent agreed to let their son practice at home, something they never thought was possible, and something he had never done before. He coped well surpising the the parents. :thumbs: I do think that sometimes it's the parents that give their children a comfort zone and decide what the comfort zones EW, and that is not a slur on parents, as we all fo what we can, but I was simply stating how positive this program was. :rolleyes:

When I supported the school in pushing certain areas as they were doing to provide continuity, son of closed dwn on us both. Mainly because I had broken the golden rule, school was school home was home, he wouldn't cooperate in us both following the same thing. Outside the school WE have different issues, we are ON the street, schools are NOT, there are no autistics outside our front door he can relate to.... even if he did the relate thing, and therefore we have to find ways to get our children to interact with total strangers, try MOST things outside their comfort zone, without half a dozen pros/teachers and support workers in tow....this is the REAL social area battleground, the street. School prefers the institutional approach, whereas we as parents want the opposite don't we ? so are they just setting him and us up for a fall when he leaves ?

It's difficult for me to comment really. My children attend mainstream and are statemented. There is a bigger push towards street wise "normality" for want of better words. At one point I questioned as to whether that was right and best for my children, I do not think that now, but I guess I won't know until they have grown up whether what I am doing is right.

Before I make the next comment, I am going to generalise, but only speaking from my personal experiences, I fully accept there are acceptions to the rule, and everyone is different. This is NOT a slur on parenting, but simply an observation and opinion. :unsure:

I see programs like this, and it gives me hope and reassurance. Having higher functioning children myself and working in support groups, there are a lot of parents, including myself, who worry endlessly about the future, what there child can and cope with. It has sometimes felt like living on a knifes edge, and a great fear of things going wrong, because when they do go wrong, they really do, and not one of us would wish for it to happen again. Other parents have echoed these fears. It puts us in a vicious circle. I do now wonder who we are protecting, them- for the upsets and setbacks, or us- having to live with and cope with the upsets and setbacks. I hope you know what I mean. Sometimes, it is easy to be blinkered. Staying in a routine, making decisions, and staying in a comfort zone as not to rock the boat. It's self preservation I think.

Anyhoo, I hope it doesn't sound patronising when I say, that in this program I saw parents pushing themselves out their comfort zones by changing the rules a little, and their children responded very well. I would personally find it very insulting being one of those parents, listening to someone like me worrying about what I thought mine could or could not cope with or having even a slightly negative outlook. I am sooooooooo lucky mine are verbal and high functioning, they are capable of whatever they want to do. The outlook has to be a positive one. For me to say otherwise after watching a program like this, would be, in my opinion, quite tragic.

Hi,

I have been following this thread with interest because OJ was interviewed by the BBC production team for the programme. He is high functioning and extremely confident singing in front of large audiences and his reasons for wanting to do it were to prove that being AS and having Tourettes were not a barrier to achieving his dream.

He wasn't selected because they felt that he already had opportunities and was 'too good' in terms of what they were looking to do with the programme. I was quite concerned after watching the channel 4 programme which I felt sensationalised the 'behaviour' of some of the AS children, but actually when I watched the BBC3 programme, I thought it was presented in a very positive and sensitive way, as Darky said. (trust the beeb to get it right!!!)

It is very difficult getting it 'right' with children, AS or not and I know with OJ he needs his comfort zone to be gently pushed and expanded to get the best out of him and to allow him to progress, especially now as a teenager. His voice is now breaking and he is struggling with what he can and can't do (luckily he has a brilliant singing teacher to take him through the change) so he now wants to have dance lessons!! But initially it will have to be 1-1 as we know he wouldn't cope going into a group of experienced dancers. Small steps though and he will accomplish more skills!!

Stella xx

I take a more simplistic approach really, if something works, then it is right ! Where the edges get blurred is that the school will try one area have moderate success, I will endorse and follow the method and find my son WON'T do that at home, to my view it is not me doing it wrong, it is my child's compartmentalising of behaviours, some he will exhibit at school some he will only exhibit at home, even if they are the same things, he will assume how he copes with it at home is one way he accepts and another way at school ditto ! It makes it very hard for parents because some in the system will say why doesn't he or she respond at HOME ? then you get the false assumptions creeping in, so far it is a clear 50-50 set up, our successes are not the schools and thee schools success is not ours,the crazy world of autism. If I inform the school he is gaining in an area they will say, he shows little gain here... I Lost interest with involved explanations a few years ago, I follow my instinct as do most parents, if it works it is right, if it doesn't it is wrong. When I asked for advice on some obsessional behaviours they said ignore it we do in school, I said great for school but when he does this on the street it is a real problem at times for us. He runs,jumps and leaps in the air, he is a growing lad, doing that behind people in the street has led to a few confrontations already, children his own age react only one way they want to hit him, so I have to be very quick to step between ! He seems to be well aware what he does and stops dead short of knocking people over, but obviously elderly and others may not be as quick, then we're in trouble. You can't put a restrainer on a 15yr old can you ? Other times it seems he switches out of our world immediately to enjoy this sensation of leaping about, he totally disconnects with it for a few seconds. That is the danger point, he could be at a roadside and just shoot off in any direction.

wonderful, just wonderful. and they used my favourite band Bon Iver for some of the music when Reggie was visiting the performers beforehand - awesome!

oh and Daffid explained Autism the same way i do - apple macs and windows :) brilliant :)

i loved the statement so much ive asked the Community Bristol autism officer to put it in literature about autism.

Does the lad memorise every CD in the shop due to his exceptional memory or is this done on purpose?

Is what Carly says rehearsed (which implies shes practiced it) or echolalic?

Excellent programme showing a wide range of musical geniuses. i also love Derek the piano man.

I have enjoyed it so much, I watched it twice :wub: Can't wait for the next one. I think it was very positive. I found it extremely helpful as much as anything. Watching Carly I could honestly see so much of my DD, the over dramatic strops that aren't always meant. The arms folded, stomp stomp. "I am NEVER doing this EVER again hmphh" :lol: I had tears of joy watching it all. The two singers are absolutely incredible. Both pushed out of their comfort zones, but both compromised and were very accepting in the end. I think it's amazing what can be achieved. The parents should all be proud, they were pushed over their comfort zones as well. They are all wonderful :clap: It had a much more postive feel to it than YASS. IMO.

Agreed it was an excellent program, but why the title of "autistic superstars" but then use the term "people with autism?" autistic has already been used so why go back to the PC stuff?

I've only just watched it, as I'd intended to avoid it on the basis that I might find it all too cloying. Actually it was great, and I thought all the young people shown did themselves proud. I hope that they got something positive out of it.

I thought this one was a lot better. The feel of the program was a lot more positive, than others have been. Well done to them, they were fab. Em watched the last program with me last night and thought it was fab :thumbs:

I thought this one was a lot better. The feel of the program was a lot more positive, than others have been. Well done to them, they were fab. Em watched the last program with me last night and thought it was fab :thumbs:

i fell asleep watching it but i think it's repeated next week?

I found this one sooooooooooo much better than most of the programs they have done recently. I certainly cried lots, especially when they all got up to perform at the end. It wasn't just hey look at me I am Autistic and look at what I can do. I was honestly well and truely gobsmacked. It was wonderful :clap:

I found the program very good. They are all so talented.

I had a priveledge to meet Derek some 15 years ago when he was still a child. I was very amazed by his extraodinary musical talent. Even then he played piano really well, with a fantastic ability to improvise. I was so impressed that I asked his teacher (you saw him on TV) to let me observe his piano lesson, which he kindly accepted. Derek is also blind and I was told that he learned by listening to the recordings.

Derek asked me to play something for him, than he improvised straight away on the melody (it was Bach) I played.

He was really good. And he was only 10 or 11 at a time.

He also plays cello and is a very fine composer as well! I am not sure if they mentioned that.

Danaxxx

@ Mandapanda

i agree most progs that are billed as showing autism mostly turn out have more able/aware children with AS. my son was dx with autism @ 36 mths. looking at Martin was like seeing my son @ about 5 again when he was still very closed off to the world and his surroundings. he has come on so much since then in terms of awareness/communication & interaction...i think it was his force of personality that lead to these developments. Autism is not the wole of Finn...he is also a very feisty, strong willed boy!! of course it is that same will that also leads to frequent confrontations or battles as he calls them....its Finns way or no way!!!

listening to Martins vocals gave me goosebumps..still does everytime i listen to his rendition of Sweet Dispostion (its saved on my YouTube :))

they were all so fab & so talented. loved Carly too...a Diva in the making for sure!! i didn't like the way they kept trying to get her to sing songs that she didn't want to do either. only point in the prog when i felt they were pushing things for a bit of drama from the kids...they got it as Carly finally had enough & stormed off...but it wasn't fair of them to do that at all. esp that as another poster says they were already well & truy out of their comfort zones that ppl with autism depend on & need for consistency & a sense of stability in their lives. to push even further beyond that was a little cruel...OK cruel too strong a word...i'll say uncalled for instead!! having a child with autism myself i know from own experience (& daily life :)) how hard it is at times & exhausting...so for them to open up their homes & essentially their lives to the prog makers was so brave of the parents esp Martin & Carly's...that their two children were able to get up in front of an audience AND come together with the others as a group at the end was a testament to how hard everyone had worked...but no one more so than the Autistic Superstars themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIIGf4Q88jw...&playnext=1

Edited by baglady