babnye1

ADOS next week

Hi

My son who is 7 has his long awaited ADOS next week. He is certainly at the high functioning end if he is on the spectrum and wondered what people's experiences were of the test and whether they thought it was effective and accurate. Did you get given an indication there and then.

We have the ADI the week after. It takes three hours! What on earth do they ask??

It then goes to the panel in June.

hi i filled in the ADI-R for my 14 year old daughter last november and it took the whole 3 hours,was qiute difficult in places as it goes right the way back to when they where babies,so was very difficult to answer questions like'what were her first words ' and 'when did she start putting 2 words together' as said she has just turned 14 so just cant remember that far back especially as we had no concerns at that point.but was very in depth questions and just went on and on we didnt even stop for a break and just finished in 3 hours so long hard slog.we are in scotland so not sure if different up here we are still waiting for dd to do the ADOS, are on waiting list but no-one can tell us how long! however although still awaiting ADOS we have been told that dd is above cut off level for spectrum just by filling in ADI-R.

hope all goes well

julia

hi i filled in the ADI-R for my 14 year old daughter last november and it took the whole 3 hours,was qiute difficult in places as it goes right the way back to when they where babies,so was very difficult to answer questions like'what were her first words ' and 'when did she start putting 2 words together' as said she has just turned 14 so just cant remember that far back especially as we had no concerns at that point.but was very in depth questions and just went on and on we didnt even stop for a break and just finished in 3 hours so long hard slog.we are in scotland so not sure if different up here we are still waiting for dd to do the ADOS, are on waiting list but no-one can tell us how long! however although still awaiting ADOS we have been told that dd is above cut off level for spectrum just by filling in ADI-R.

hope all goes well

julia

Thanks. I'm kind of dreading the ADI as although DS is only 7, I can't really remember first words etc either! I had no worries about things like that at the time as he was my first! After DS2, I'd have been a bit more alert to these things I think.

hi yes if i remember right they do ask if there where any problems at birth etc,its all the silly little things that they do that you forget,my dd was my first and now if i look back when i had my son she was 17 months old and couldnt put up with him crying,she would go in a corner and cover her ears and hide,but it wasnt something that i then thought 'oh i'd better go to doctors and get her checked out' but now when i look back there were these little signs,but when its number 1 you dont know whats right and wrong and just accept them as they are.but they also say girls present very differently to boys which is why sometimes its not noticed as early because the females have a coping mechanism,unfortunatley when my dd got to about 11 was when she seemed to hit a brick wall and just couldnt cope any longer,so although not diagnosed yet she has been off school for nearly 2 years because she cant deal with any social situations and very rarely goes out of the house :wallbash: which makes life very difficult when i have a 12 year old and a 9 year old,but life goes and and we all have to cope,one way or another.

julia

Thanks. We have waited so long for these tests that I'm now really nervous....perhaps I'm going mad. Perhaps they're going to tell me it's all my fault?? It would help to know more about what the tests involve but they seem a bit precious about this. It's just so hard to tell what DS will be like. If he doesn't click with someone, he will be uncommunicative. If he does, he will be giggly and silly.

Thanks. We have waited so long for these tests that I'm now really nervous....perhaps I'm going mad. Perhaps they're going to tell me it's all my fault?? It would help to know more about what the tests involve but they seem a bit precious about this. It's just so hard to tell what DS will be like. If he doesn't click with someone, he will be uncommunicative. If he does, he will be giggly and silly.

Hi

I know how you feel Dan(4) has his appointment on Tuesday.I am also soooooo nervous.I dont know why I never felt like this when Sam went for his assesment.I just think I have a fear they will think I am seeing things that are not there because of Sam but Dan has had signs since age 23mths.Also at home Dan gives me a much harder time than Sam does so actually more desparate for help this time around.

Good Luck :thumbs:

hi sorry cant be more help with the ados as we havent got there yet ,although like you panicking a bit even though havent got an appointment yet,we are having to have the team come to us as dd wont go out to see them!but as you say you dont know how they will react i have spoken to our paedriatricain and explained that what dd will be like is anybodys guess as she will not be like she is if she had to go out,she will be in her own environment so may be bit more relaxed and then they might not see what i see :wallbash: but more than likely she just wont come out of her room and that will be a complete waste :wallbash: kids :wallbash: but at the end of the day you cant make them perform you just have to hope that these people know what they are looking for and although you dont want them to find anything,you do!!! if that makes sense.anyway hope all goes well and you get the results you were looking for.the waiting doesnt help but your're nearly there.

julia