Sign in to follow this  
bensmum2

scribes

Hi all, my son had an exam today for which he got a scribe, the lady in question had a lot of difficulty spelling and kept having to ask the invigilator, she explained to my son that English was not her first language, i don't think in that case she should have been scribing for him and i am concerned that she will be scribing for him again in his other exams later in the week. I odn't know what the rules are, has anyone else got any idea please?

I don't know if there are any "rules" that apply here, but surely if the school is providing a service, that service has to be able to actually do what it is being provided to do? I don't see how a scribe who can not write effectively can possibly be acceptable. Take it up immediately with the school (or whoever provided the scribe) and if you get no joy, take it to the media - the Mail woulod love a story like that!

When our son did his Yr 6 SATS, he had his ISA as his scribe.

Having a scibe who can not write English is a definate disadvantage in my opinion. I thought having a scribe was suppose to help.

I used to scribe for year 6 children in my old job and a good knowledge of english is vital. Sudents answering questions verbally do so at normal speaking speed and it is the scribes job to get what they say on to the paper as quickly and acurately as possible. I would go into school before the next exam and get them to give him another scribe. Good luck B)

That's appalling. Even if the task is not assessed for spelling, mistakes hinder clarity and affect the overall impression. Also - if she is continually pausing to ask the invigilator, is that not distracting?

Found the following in the QCA Access Arrangements document:

The role of an amanuensis: (scribe)

When writing out a pupil’s answers, an amanuensis must:

■■ ensure all language, punctuation and phrasing is the pupil’s own

■■ not pause for spellings to be dictated (apart from in the spelling test), unless the pupil

usually works in this way

■■work at the pupil’s own pace and not hurry them if they need time for reflection,

reading or rest

■■ follow precisely the pupil’s instructions to draw or add to diagrams, charts and

graphs in the mathematics tests

■■ ask the pupil to dictate punctuation as well as words in the writing test

■■ ask the pupil to clearly spell out each word in the spelling test (they will probably

need to be tested in a separate room)

■■make a correction on a typescript or braille script if asked to do so by the pupil

■■ not transcribe a braille script to print.

An amanuensis must be able to write legibly, at a reasonable speed and, ideally,

have a working knowledge of the subject.

If an amanuensis is used in the writing test (longer task), a compensatory mean mark

of 2 (out of 3) is awarded for handwriting.

Hi ladies , Thanks everyone, , and Kathryn that is just what i was looking for as they have said he cant have a scribe for maths but it does mention in your quote how a scribe should work in maths so that is interesting. After getting your answers i haveemailed the college and mentione i am not sur eshe is the right person, i dont' want it to be seen as any kind of discrimination nd certainly if she had never mentioned english wasnt her first language i would not hav eknown! it has been a long fight to get a scribe and for this to happen now worris me a lot, i will let you lall know what happends later this week or next x