Mumble

New NAS Website

What do you think of the new NAS website? I just don't do change, although it's not too bad, and most things seem to be in sensible places.

However, I have one thing that's making me uneasy, and I was wondering what others thought. I guess it links a bit to the discussion of an 'autistic look'.

About a third the way down the home page are three main links with pictures: Information for parents/carers, Information for adults with Autism, Information for professionals. I wasn't too happy about the photos used. They feel a little stereotypical to me: the slightly tired but trying to smile parent, the Autistic person (he looks scary!!!) and the interested wide-eyed professional. I guess because I fall into the Autistic adult group, I didn't like the way it was being portrayed. I wondered what others thought? :unsure:

Slightly :offtopic:, but have you seen Jobcentre Plus' "WorkPath" leaflets? The front cover of those has a picture of a smartly dressed man at a computer ... but he's got that obvious Down's Syndrome look, like they had to make it REALLY obvious he had a disability. You can see it here (as long as you've got Adobe Reader installed on your computer): http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dwp1008.pdf It certainly raised an eyebrow with me.

James

They seen to have reduced the number of "real life stories" where autistics speak for themselves from around 20 to merely 2 which I think narrows the view on autism down to only a few settings (or cases). There aren't any professional people among the autists there any more. Sad. :(

Edited by Shnoing

They seen to have reduced the number of "real life stories" where autistics speak for themselves from around 20 to merely 2 which I think narrows the view on autism down to only a few settings (or cases). There aren't any professional people among the autists there any more. Sad. :(

I don't know if it's my (mis)understanding of language, but the first sentence on the 'real stories' page didn't seem right to me:

"There may not be a 'cure', but people do survive the difficulties they encounter"

To me that reads as if ASDs (or ASD difficulties) are something that some people do not survive, i.e. that they are life-threatening. :o

I see what you mean about the pictures, Mumble, although if they can only have one picture for each category, whatever they chose was bound to bother somebody I suppose. A pity they didn't challenge the gender stereotypes: the carer is a "mum" figure, the autistic person is male and the professional is also male. :rolleyes:

I think the new design is an improvement though, less dense and less stark in its presentation, but I haven't looked closely at the whole site yet.

K x

i have had a look i like it like it was before!!

why is in pictures they have to make us look like we have something wrong with us!!! :(

i dont now why things have to get charged all the time :angry: