ridvan

Medical for ESA or Incapacity Benefit

Hi - I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has experience of attending medicals for Employment Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit? I am appointee for my son who as ASD. I will be attending his medical next week, and wonder whether I should keep my mouth shut so that the doctor can get a true picture as to my son's difficulties. I had considered using the recorder on my mobile phone to record the interview because I just don't trust these people, like they have any idea of ASD etc.

If anyone has any experience as to what I can expect, please would you let me know? Many thanks. Worried Dad in south Wales.

You may well get into trouble for recording the medical, especially if you don't tell them you are doing so.

I went with my son to his medical and it was better than I thought it would be, BUT I had written LOTS on the questionnaire (10 extra A4 typed sheets), and had had to get my MP involved earlier on + stressed that my son needed to be seen by someone who understood AS.

She asked my son questions, but it soon became apparent that he did not want to answer them (he wouldn't even tell her we came by car, until I pushed him to). She said that it was OK, I could answer for him. She had already read the info on the questionnaire (I didn't think they did that), and asked questions around that.

He was put in the WRA group, which I thought was right.

We have just had to fill in another questionnaire and I am hoping we don't have to go to another medical (ours was nearly 20 miles away, in a busy town that I don't know).

Make a note of your mileage/transport costs, as you can claim them back.

Hi, I had a good experience with the medical, I spent a long time writing out my form which contained lots of information, going into detail of day to day challenges.

Paul

Hi, I had a good experience with the medical, I spent a long time writing out my form which contained lots of information, going into detail of day to day challenges.

Same here - helped also by the fact that the assessor was not just a medical doctor, he seemed quite familiar with Asperger's Syndrome and understood that day-to-day challenges that seem minor at home can have more severe consequences at work .

My wife has had medical for Incapacity Benefit about once every 3 years. The have always been carried out by a out of area G.P. They do not need (In theory) to know much about your condition as they are there to see how much and what you can do, or cant do (If you are fit and/or able to work). It has always been mainly asking questions and then just a shore physical examination. Obviously it will depend on the condition as to how the medical is conducted.

Only once has she been turned down, she went to appeal, the appeal panel consisted of a solicitor and a G.P. (Both out of area) We walked into the room and less then 5 minuets later walked out with the decision overturned.

I do think there is now more of an emphasis on your ability to hold down a job rather than what you medical condition is.

Thanks for the feedback. BTW I found this website to be useful for anyone out there anticipating trundling along to a benefits medica in the near future: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk. Not looking forward, to be honest, but I'll give feedback after the appointment with my ds this week.

Thanks for the feedback. I accompanied by asd dxs and the interview this week and it seemed to go quite well. Have to wait now for what the DWP response is!

Following my son's medical, the DWP people have reduced his ESA - now I need to appeal, groan!

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-...urces/3159.aspx

Details of your local NAS branch in case you wanted their help. A friend of mine got his ESA stopped after the assessment period (lost his incap due to IMHO not being able to recognise or explain his behaviour to others) hes now appealing with the help of the local autism officer. Their opinion is they were both poor assessments carried out by people who didnt know ASD. Im tempted to fill in the "benefits and work" self assessment (if i haven't found work by then) and hand it in filled out asking for them to clarify what i mean in the answers they dont understand.

Edited by trekster

Well I filled in the questionnaire (almost identical to the first one) and got a letter today to say he has been put into the work related activity group (which he was already in). There was no need for another medical and we won't have to do another questionnaire til Dec 2011 - hurray!

Well I filled in the questionnaire (almost identical to the first one) and got a letter today to say he has been put into the work related activity group (which he was already in). There was no need for another medical and we won't have to do another questionnaire til Dec 2011 - hurray!

Pleased to hear