Sign in to follow this  
jacquelineh1468

toileting issues

I have a 11 year old son who is dx with adhd,asd ,ocd,hypotonia and a severe anxiety disorder,my sons toileting needs have always been terrible but over the past 6 months they have become worse it began by wetting himself a couple of times a week to wetting himself every night,he has said that as soon as he wakes he wets himself he describes it as he does not feel like he wants the toilet it just comes away.My son is due to start mainstream high school in september so of course i am becoming very concerned does anybody else have this problem,is it normal for children on the asd spectrum.Could somebody please advise

Problems with toilet issues are common for children on the autistic spectrum.

But I think you need to go back to the paediatrician that diagnosed him and ask for help with this.

Does your son have sensory issues or is he diagnosed with sensory integration disorder/dysfunction?

It maybe, as he says, that he does not fully process some sensory information and 'needing the loo' is one of them.

As a matter of course you should also check via your GP for any urine infection, or thrush infection as these can be quite common.

Is he anxious about the school move to secondary? That could be a factor in this deterioration. Do you (and does he) feel he will cope mainstream?

Otherwise, if the wetting is only at nightime/first thing in the moring - try having his last drink at a set time, then he goes to the toilet once, and then once again about 15 mins later just before he goes to bed to make sure his bladder is really empty.