JeanneA

Budget how will it effect DLA?

Hi just seem some of the budget does anyone know how it will effect the DLA? I did catch someone saying that the DLA is being cut.

Hi

DLA doesn't appear to be being cut, but from 2013 it appears a medical assessment will be necessary.

Caroline.

Thanks Caroline, I wonder what type of tests will be enforced then in 2013?

This concerns me, as the ESA medicals are patchy as to whether autistics can get the support they need.

This concerns me, as the ESA medicals are patchy as to whether autistics can get the support they need.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Ofcourse 2013 is a long way off yet, and I can only imagine what red tape the Conservatives and Liberals will manage to put in place by then.

Thanks Caroline, I wonder what type of tests will be enforced then in 2013?

im my mind probably means tested, probably an assessment of how an ASD/Aspergers person reacts socially, their mobility needs, life skills, that kind of thing.

i have in my mind an interview, then a 'physical test' in a suitable area, life skills maybe assessed by interviewing main care worker or Parent/Guardian.

That worries me a lot we all had dla sence i was about 10years old,

A lot of people dont get the support they need!!

The problem with medicals is they simply diagnose issues, they don't or cannot effectively state to what degree an issue disables. Mostly the idea of a medical is find what you CAN do not what you can't. That old criteria has gone. What is also needed is an 'expert' who can effectively state the degree and effect on the person diagnosed. You can't leave that to political motivated cost cutters. Can a doctor define how capable a person is of achieving quality of life, or can even define it. They have made a complete mess so far. I expect nothing less than a flood of complaints when this system gets under way. Sharing the debt seems plausible, but it the ones who didn't create it, who have to foot the bill again.

[quote but it the ones who didn't create it, who have to foot the bill again.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

totally agree with you there, the bankers (change the "b" for a "w" as thats what i think of some of them) put us in this mess they can take responsibili for it and dig us out!

totally agree with you there, the bankers (change the "b" for a "w" as thats what i think of some of them) put us in this mess they can take responsibili for it and dig us out!

not a chance they are all too busy sitting in their nice big houses with their lovely fat bonuses that are larger than many families annual income!

See I disagree with you there. While I despise the bankers and the mess they caused they aren't entirely to blame for the black hole in the finances. For one we took on wars that we couldn't affort, we're committing to replacing a cold war nuclear weapons deterrent that is never going to actually be used, ID cards the list goes on. We're paying far too much to quangos, top rate execs in the public sector earn far too much. Seriously there is a lot of waste out there a lot of it being at the top.

Oh and if they went after the MPs who fiddled their expenses as hard as they do benefits fraud a lot of parliament would be in prison now :whistle:

Edited by ScienceGeek

See I disagree with you there. While I despise the bankers and the mess they caused they aren't entirely to blame for the black hole in the finances. For one we took on wars that we couldn't affort, we're committing to replacing a cold war nuclear weapons deterrent that is never going to actually be used, ID cards the list goes on. We're paying far too much to quangos, top rate execs in the public sector earn far too much. Seriously there is a lot of waste out there a lot of it being at the top.

Oh and if they went after the MPs who fiddled their expenses as hard as they do benefits fraud a lot of parliament would be in prison now :whistle:

there's a common denominator which is Gordon Brown, he's been the exchequer for a while (since 97???) and he screwed up the bloomin economy in most forms. then Blair decided to butt up to Bush and say, lets be friends and play war games in the playground.... i blame Labour AND the Bankers

I've been speaking with my Partner about this, she sits on a Judiciary panel for DLA and AA. This is all news to them. It seems this is one of those things the government has decided will happen without actually looking at or discussing how it will work in practice.

When she learns more I will let you know.

It sounds like such a sensible thing, to try to catch out people fraudulently trying to claim disability benefits. It all depends on how they assess things though. Some people already do need to attend a medical to claim DLA, but I don't know how well they could pick up some of the difficulties faced by people with ASD, especially given the fluctuating nature of ASD.

My DLA is up for renewal in August, and I am already worrying about whether it will get renewed or not. It's worrying to think about what I will do in the future if I cannot get DLA, as I depend on the money to get by at the moment because I only work part time.

I've been speaking with my Partner about this, she sits on a Judiciary panel for DLA and AA. This is all news to them. It seems this is one of those things the government has decided will happen without actually looking at or discussing how it will work in practice.

Thanks.

If you look at the rhetoric the way they describe DLA it sounds as if they are getting it confused with IB/IS/ESA, it has never been an out of work benefit. They are purposely misleading the general public so that there won't be much of a fight.

If you look at the rhetoric the way they describe DLA it sounds as if they are getting it confused with IB/IS/ESA, it has never been an out of work benefit. They are purposely misleading the general public so that there won't be much of a fight.

And why beat about the bush and not go straight with it?

If the tories had their way they would ditch DLA altogether

interested to know why they would do that, so do they see us as a non human species from working class backgrounds? (i know literally tory families and they are, lets say, wedge in some form somewhere upwards! lol)

See I disagree with you there. While I despise the bankers and the mess they caused they aren't entirely to blame for the black hole in the finances. For one we took on wars that we couldn't afford, we're committing to replacing a cold war nuclear weapons deterrent that is never going to actually be used, ID cards the list goes on. We're paying far too much to quangos, top rate execs in the public sector earn far too much. Seriously there is a lot of waste out there a lot of it being at the top.

Ah ok, fair enough it's just i somehow connected recession and bankers. My political knowledge is quite poor.

i thought the budget would get rid of quangos? Also top rate execs will have wages increases frozen.

grrr About the MPs not going to prison. i wonder why did those 4 MPs get brought to court but not others?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop zen.

It sounds like such a sensible thing, to try to catch out people fraudulently trying to claim disability benefits. It all depends on how they assess things though. Some people already do need to attend a medical to claim DLA, but I don't know how well they could pick up some of the difficulties faced by people with ASD, especially given the fluctuating nature of ASD.

My DLA is up for renewal in August, and I am already worrying about whether it will get renewed or not. It's worrying to think about what I will do in the future if I cannot get DLA, as I depend on the money to get by at the moment because I only work part time.

i think the NAS welfare officer could possibly help autistics get their DLA awarded for life. Mines been awarded in that way well until 2013 when they're going to reassess us all. :wallbash:

Thanks.

That should be against the something or other act. If a goods item is mis-sold the customer can claim the money back under certain circumstances.

Im sure the benefitsandwork people will be onto the news about this.

i think the NAS welfare officer could possibly help autistics get their DLA awarded for life.

But circumstances change and no one can know how they will be in a year, let alone several years. Yes, in some cases, i.e. non-verbal adult autistics with additional learning difficulties it would seem clear enough to give a life award, but in the case of HFA/AS I could see ways in which an award for life would actually be disabling.

*runs away before people throw rotten tomatoes and general trash in my direction* :lol::ph34r:

But circumstances change and no one can know how they will be in a year, let alone several years. Yes, in some cases, i.e. non-verbal adult autistics with additional learning difficulties it would seem clear enough to give a life award, but in the case of HFA/AS I could see ways in which an award for life would actually be disabling.

*runs away before people throw rotten tomatoes and general trash in my direction* :lol::ph34r:

It hasn't disabled me in fact it has opened doors to other opportunities and benefits including my current housing scheme.

ive got friends who work and claim DLA since claiming DLA doesnt prevent you from working.

Note award for life doesn't seem to mean anything anymore as in 2013 it looks like all DLA claimants are going to be reassessed.

Ah ok, fair enough it's just i somehow connected recession and bankers. My political knowledge is quite poor.

i thought the budget would get rid of quangos? Also top rate execs will have wages increases frozen.

grrr About the MPs not going to prison. i wonder why did those 4 MPs get brought to court but not others?

Well this is where the political spin comes in like the top not earning more than 20x the bottom if you look at the numbers of people involved it is very little. If it had been 10x it would have been more effective. I personally would have preferred it if the top public sector people can earn no more than the PM, that would drag quite a few into line. Why should a council exec earn more than the PM of the country, it makes no sense.

It hasn't disabled me in fact it has opened doors to other opportunities and benefits including my current housing scheme.

ive got friends who work and claim DLA since claiming DLA doesnt prevent you from working.

Note award for life doesn't seem to mean anything anymore as in 2013 it looks like all DLA claimants are going to be reassessed.

i Hope to have an income by that point, if someone employs me......

Edited by Bluesbreaker

Well this is where the political spin comes in like the top not earning more than 20x the bottom if you look at the numbers of people involved it is very little. If it had been 10x it would have been more effective. I personally would have preferred it if the top public sector people can earn no more than the PM, that would drag quite a few into line. Why should a council exec earn more than the PM of the country, it makes no sense.

i remember you mentioning this to me sometime ago, totally agree with you there.

i Hope to have an income by that point, if someone employs me......

DLA isn't dependent on if you can work or not.

DLA isn't dependent on if you can work or not.

Yes but if there are going to be severe cut backs in what i get i will be slightly better off using any income i can get.

slight addition: isnt it dependent on whether you can cook a meal from scratch? mother mentioned it to me before..... i might have heard wrong

Edited by Bluesbreaker

Yes but if there are going to be severe cut backs in what i get i will be slightly better off using any income i can get.

slight addition: isnt it dependent on whether you can cook a meal from scratch? mother mentioned it to me before..... i might have heard wrong

It is dependent on whether you can cook a meal from scratch for the care component. The mobility component is dependent on whether you need physical or another type of help when outside.

We dont get Dla. we applied and got declined.

:wallbash: Sorry to hear this, i guess you have tried appealing?

The introduction of a medical assessment does worry me, as to me that sounds like it is just addressing physical disabilities. In my experience of getting my son diagnosed, very few medics understood what autism meant in practice.

No official news yet, but there is some "On the Grapevine news", so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt and bear in mind this is a long way off yet.

Appparently everyone WILL have to go through a medical assessment, these will take place between 2013-16. These medical assessments will take a very similar form to the current ESA (Employment & Support Allowence - the new Incapacity benefit) assessments. These to be fair aren't very thorough and are very much a check box excercise by all accounts and they make the judiciary very unhappy as the legal and medical members tend to assume they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

The government are apparently looking at a 20% reduction in DLA payments, based on these assessments, however you will still retain the right to appeal.

So what we are looking at here is probably a system that will force one in five people to go through the appeals process.

That is all we have heard so far. Don't take this as set in stone, these are just the rumours emerging through the judiciary. When something more conrete comes through I will be sure to post it.

Sorry if this isn't new news to many of you, I haven't read this thread in a while :)

Edited by zenemu

There is already a bid to stop this from going ahead - Katey Hoey leads commons bid to reverse DLA cut

I hope she suceeds, but I doubt it, not given the state of the economy and a conservative government. One thing the conservatives are good at is red tape, and I am sure that things will get much more complicated before this comes to pass, whether for the better or worse, only time will tell.

I am terrified about this, I cannot work I have severe social phobia and now I have ME and mitochondria illness, and I get breathless on exertion. and am exhausted all the time. I don't see any NHS GP as they completely traumatised me by putting me for years in counselling therapies and made me quite ill. and led to overdose of seroxat which left me damaged . The I was struck off. I would rather lose mine, than cope with this, I get lowest level and nothing for the physical aspects.

This system is designed to make it more difficult for the most vulnerable people and it will be them who slip through the net, I already know others who this has happened too.

I'm really worried about this too because of what we'll have to go through with Shaun going for assessments etc, we get the high rate of care and low rate of mobility for Shaun. My husband also gets the low rate of care as he has mental health problems. We both don't work, him because of his mental health problems, me because of both him and Shaun. My husband and I have discussed and argued for hours at a time about this. Mental health is a very difficult illness to prove. If it comes down to it I will have to go out to work (which was always my plan when Shaun went to school) and he will have to be a stay at home Dad, which on his good days will be fine but I don't know how he'll cope on his bad days. Also I don't have great qualifications so what have to go with a job that offered minimum wage. I have now been accepted at college to do my NC in Child care and early education but there is a waiting list and I don't know if I'm going to be offered a place or not.

Anne-Marie xxx

How much will it cost the Government to put 1.8 million people (the total number currently on DLA) through a medical assessment? How does this increased cost (and the expected cost of rise in appeals) relate to the expected savings? :unsure: